lidl

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

Re: lidl

Post by niggle »

I am a sucker for Aldi and Lidl bargains!! Last year I bought a handlebar bag (~£10, not bad but does affect the brakes a bit) and a really quite good Selle Italia MTB saddle (~£5) from Lidl and a while back I bought a pair of sports glasses with the three different interchangeable lense sets from Aldi for <£4. This year I wanted the shorts at the Lidl sale but no mediums in any of three local stores by the time I got to them. However despite this I did buy the double pack of socks, two jerseys, two of the insulated bottles (hope they will keep things cool at least), a side stand, a helmet and a pair of the shoes which do look good. In my mind I could justify all these purchases, however I have only used the socks and bottles so far......
Cygnetory

Post by Cygnetory »

bailout wrote:Are they similar to the original ones you had or the replacements you ordered?

Hi Bailout - yes these are the same as the new style hooks we bought as replacements. They do seem a much better design and they make the pannier sit higher on the rack. One feature of these panniers I particularly like, for the red ones anyway, they are very bright and visible from behind.
kborom

Post by kborom »

Just been back to the Dewsbury store for more gloves, but unfortunately no gloves, panniers or cycle computers left. From what I recall they had most other things, not sure about sizes though.

Bought some gloves and shoes from lidl when the sale started and am very pleased with both. I am between a 9 and a 10 in shoes and tried both on in lidl and went for the smaller one. Used them on a good few rides and have really noticed the difference over some basic sports shoes. Also got a backpack, again impressed it, lightweight but with enough room for what I need.

Anyone know when the Aldi sale of cycle gear normally starts?
bailout

Post by bailout »

Cygnetory wrote:Hi Bailout - yes these are the same as the new style hooks we bought as replacements. They do seem a much better design and they make the pannier sit higher on the rack. One feature of these panniers I particularly like, for the red ones anyway, they are very bright and visible from behind.

That is good news for people who have bought the latest batch as it should mean that the breakage problems people have had in the past will be less likely. Interesting you say you prefer the panniers sitting higher. I am thinking of making a strap based connector for mine instead of the hooks for loaded touring use and was thinking an advantage would be to seat the panniers lower :lol:

I agree with the colour - I got red ones. I don't understand why the majority of panniers came in black. Bright panniers are an easy way of increasing visibility which must be a good thing. Reading touring forums I seem to see far oo many mentions of people being hit an often killed while touring. Obviously bright panniers are no guarantee but they must help a bit.
bailout

Post by bailout »

Another question I had for anyone who has had the lidl panniers for a while is how do you close the top? I know how the roll top closure works but I have doubts whether it is worth using or just to fold the top down and use the two straps and buckles. Wondered what people with more experience did.

Also does anyone use the carry strap? I assume it is supposed to clip onto the buckles at the side that are used for the roll down closure?
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Having now used all of the kit I bought, I can say I'm happy with everything except the shorts, which, IMO are unfit for purpose.
I should have inspected them more closely when I bought them, as it's fairly obvious that the 4 way seam right on the saddle interface would be a problem.
I'd just assumed that something sold as cycling shorts would be designed properly to avoid this.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Phil_Lee wrote:Having now used all of the kit I bought, I can say I'm happy with everything except the shorts, which, IMO are unfit for purpose.
I should have inspected them more closely when I bought them, as it's fairly obvious that the 4 way seam right on the saddle interface would be a problem.
I'd just assumed that something sold as cycling shorts would be designed properly to avoid this.

Lidl do have a returns policy.
If you kept the receipt you might be able to get your money back?
I took mine back the next day and got the money.

Aldi have cycling stuff next week but only a small range.
I could do with some more sunglasses so will see what there like.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
niggle

Post by niggle »

cycleruk wrote:Lidl do have a returns policy.

Aldi have cycling stuff next week but only a small range.
I could do with some more sunglasses so will see what there like.

I took the helmet back to Lidl as it was a poor fit, no wonder really as I had picked up the XL size by mistake, they were fine about a refund as they had no normal size ones left.

I will check out the Aldi stuff hoping for some shorts as my incredibly ancient Bellweathers must surely give up the ghost someday...EDIT: Did you get this from an email news letter as there is no mention on the website?
Si

Post by Si »

Never been overly impressed with lidl or aldi shorts: the leg grippers are rubbish: after 1/2 an hour you end up wearing a pair of swimming trunks.
AMC

Post by AMC »

On the other hand, one of my pairs of Lidl longs are by far the best & most comfortable I've ever had (the others are ok, not as good), so it seems pretty random what they stock
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

niggle wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Lidl do have a returns policy.

I will check out the Aldi stuff hoping for some shorts as my incredibly ancient Bellweathers must surely give up the ghost someday...EDIT: Did you get this from an email news letter as there is no mention on the website?

:oops: Sorry it's Lidl. But only some accessories and shoes again. :oops:
Next Thursday.
You'll never know if you don't try it.