lidl

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Russell

Post by Russell »

Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the panniers as the quoted dims of 60x33x16 seem to indicate a VERY tall pannier? Roughly 50% taller than my others, about the same width and slimmer but not by too much.

Thanks
R
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I've already spotted a pair of Lidl panniers on eBay at almost exactly twice the price! No wonder there's none left for the honest bargain hunters!
angliatv

Post by angliatv »

Russell wrote:Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the panniers as the quoted dims of 60x33x16 seem to indicate a VERY tall pannier? Roughly 50% taller than my others, about the same width and slimmer but not by too much.

Thanks
R

As they're based on the Ortlieb design, unrolled, the height is touching 60cm but would be pretty useless extended like that. Rolled down the height is more like 42cm. They're good too.

Here they are unpacked..
please use short links

Be warned, these panniers don't lock to the rack but do fit tight none-the-less

Ed
AMC

Post by AMC »

Watch out for the shoe sizes - they seem to come out really big. T I bought my partner a pair of 43s yesterday & they're a whole size too big; there probably won't be any 42s left by the time we can get back there - grr. The bar bags are good - I've had one for years & it's totally waterproof - but the spring in the klickfix type fitting went pretty quickly. Still works ok, just doesn't lock in so I usually end up tying the strap around the handlebars as a back up. Good value though.
Si

Post by Si »

As they're based on the Ortlieb design, unrolled, the height is touching 60cm but would be pretty useless extended like that

I've found a use for them when all the way up: great for carrying bunches of flowers without crushing them.
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

The panniers can be permanently attached to a rack with cable ties which will thread between the fixing for the bag and the bag itself and then round the rack. Doesn't look untidy and deters pilfering, cos nobody can be bothered to nick your shopping without having the bag to carry the loot off in apparently!
I have had two bags emptied and the contents chucked about but only have lost one bag and that was when the bike went with it!
It begs the question, if Lidl can sell an ortlieb copy for less than £12, what do you get extra with the genuine article? Considering I had my Lidl copy on a bike full time for over two years uncovered and it still hadn't leaked before some naughty person nicked it.
backwinds forever....
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

I just got back from my first ever UK Lidl shopping experience. I won't be returning in a hurry. And I won't be going into why that's the case... maybe check my blog later...

I'm considering getting a pal to get me some of the shoes... as I'm not sure if I can be bothered cycling for another... 14 minutes round trip. The store closes at 10, so I dunno...

Eh, I went to another local lidl right after - the one nearest me. Got a saddle bag for a fiver plus about 62p. It's good. Bigger than my current one. Best news it holds all my cycle repair kit plus my valuables, which effectively saves me having two seperate bags. :)
It also came with some tyre levers, an allum key set, chain tool, and some spanners, which is quite handy.

HOWEVER, the fitting system doesn't screw tightly enough for my saddle! :( :( :( I'm just about to do an improv job with some duct tape and some of the foam packaging... I considered trying to take off the fitting system of both bags, and swapping them, but then figured that I would probably completely screw it up, leaving me with no bags at all!
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

From reading everyones posts here, I bought myself a pair of panniers this afternoon. I've not seen the Ortlieb ones in the flesh but these seem pretty close and very good value - even more so if the plastic hooks can be replaced with metal ones if need be! It means I've spent quite alot in Lidl in the last two days, but I do now have:

Two shirts, one pair of shorts, one pair of SPD shoes, handlebar bag, pair of panniers, four pairs of socks, one pair of mitts, 20 function cycle computer - all for just over £80. Unbelieveable - Combining my Autumn Aldi purchases with this Lidl one, my £24 Argos Pro Action tent and a couple of DHB products from Wiggle, I've gone from having hardly any bike equipment to having everything I need for a basic tour (except camping equipment), which is a great introduction for someone who's just getting into cycling!

No doubt, if I get more into it in the coming couple of years, I'll go and buy myself some better quality gear but for now I'm quite happy - if I had gone out and bought branded stuff, I could easily have spent £300 on that lot. It's a matter of quality for sure but it does make you wonder.
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

Half of my roll of duct tape (it was worth about 1/8th of the original size), two hours, and a hand from a flatmate, and I managed to get the bag to stay. Kindof. Nah, it's good. Just looks a bit... dodgy... Fortunately it's not like I'm gunna be doing some off-roading anytime soon. (well, some of the roads in Glasgow may as well be counted as off-roading).
skrx

Post by skrx »

I went to Lidl at Clapham Junction after work and was disappointed -- they'd mostly sold out, and what was left seemed rubbish.

The shoes were really heavy, maybe cycling shoes always are but I didn't fancy them. The gloves were uncomfortable, the jackets didn't look very good, and I wasn't interested in the rest of the stuff (pump, socks, saddle bag).

It was OK for the price, but really, I don't think I'd have used it much.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

glueman wrote:I always try at least one shoe on in the shop, the reason being their sizes vary enormously. Sometimes an 8 is too snug, other times a 7 shoe is roomy. Unfortunately you can't do the same with sealed clothing but in the past I've found their shorts plenty big enough in medium but large tops only just fit.

?

its funny because im normally a size 7 or higher....but i tried on the 6.5's at Lidl and they still seemed very roomy?!?!?!

its a shame theyre so stiff....do they need to wear in a little
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

Hector's House wrote:Half of my roll of duct tape (it was worth about 1/8th of the original size), two hours, and a hand from a flatmate, and I managed to get the bag to stay. Kindof. Nah, it's good. Just looks a bit... dodgy... Fortunately it's not like I'm gunna be doing some off-roading anytime soon. (well, some of the roads in Glasgow may as well be counted as off-roading).

I have to say, I set one pannier up this evening to see how it fitted and it was very solid. The top hooks snapped into place very tightly - with my rack, each hook clicked twice into place and needed a good push down to get the second click - the first click must be for racks with slightly wider tubing. It would have to be a pretty big bump to dislodge it, that's for sure!!! I had to really prise the hooks off to release it. A few cable ties will do the trick though, if it becomes a problem. They're roomy and when rolled closed, it was quite airtight when I tried to squeeze the air out of it to put it away.

I bought shoes one size lower than I normally take. They're quite heavy (not sure how that compares to other cycling shoes) and quite wide. But they have firm, solid soles and mine are really comfy! Took them out on a 1hr ride tonight. I have pedals with clips a the moment. Not sure about the shorts - I've never worn cycling shorts before so I have nothing to compare them to- but my initial thoughts are that cycling shorts aren't much to write home about - at least for the hour ride I took. I wore them under some comfy cargo trousers. Socks fit really well.
random37

Post by random37 »

There were still a few panniers in the Oxford Road branch in Reading yesterday.
I wasn't that impressed, to be honest.
mike

Re: lidl

Post by mike »

My daughter was in lidl's last and rang to see if I wanted anything. Told her to get me a pair of shoes a size to big I want to wear them in the winter with thick socks as my feet get cold at the moment, after reading these posts perhaps I will have to wear to pairs of thick socks (warm feet any way).
Yorkshireman

Re:

Post by Yorkshireman »

lauriematt wrote:
glueman wrote:I always try at least one shoe on in the shop, the reason being their sizes vary enormously. Sometimes an 8 is too snug, other times a 7 shoe is roomy. Unfortunately you can't do the same with sealed clothing but in the past I've found their shorts plenty big enough in medium but large tops only just fit.

?

its funny because im normally a size 7 or higher....but i tried on the 6.5's at Lidl and they still seemed very roomy?!?!?!

its a shame theyre so stiff....do they need to wear in a little

I take size 43 in Shimano (MO20 spd) and find that the Lidl size 42 (last years model) is a comfortable fit (though the lidl shoes are a bit heavier).
Cycling shoes are supposed to have stiff soles - helps to spread the load and prevent 'hot spots' when using clipless pedals.
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/