Cheapest bike with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stevew

Cheapest bike with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear

Post by stevew »

I'm looking for some bikes to buy for a Clinical Exercise group that have managed to get some funding. We already have some MTB's but these aren't always suitable for the patients because of the complication of all those gears and the lack of a step through frame for the less agile. I have found the Raleigh Caprice at 250 pounds but I'm rather hoping that I can find something for about 200 quid.
1999 ICE Classic NT
Fort s/s
Brompton
26" Thorn (converted to E-Bike)
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity. Robert Anthony
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

[url=http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/15981/Reflex_Downtown_Ladies_Bike] well under £200
[/url]
random37

Post by random37 »

Ask in the wanted section here! I bought one secondhand for £20 the other week. But even at Ebay prices, good secondhand roadsters rarely go for more than £70.
Anura

Cheapest bike with 3 speed SA

Post by Anura »

Lovely Raleigh bike on Ebay. Look it up!

Anne
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

How about the Optima City - ladies' model? Step through frame, Sturmey Archer 3-speed, alloy wheels. Seems to be on sale in various discount bike outlets for £199. (Less for the gents' model.)

Optima is part of the Falcon group - that usually guarantees a bike that is at least competently built.

Personally I consider Sturmey Archer hub gears to be conclusive proof that pure evil exists and can manifest itself in physical form, but each to their own...
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

AndyK wrote:Personally I consider Sturmey Archer hub gears to be conclusive proof that pure evil exists and can manifest itself in physical form, but each to their own...

not a fan then andy? :lol:
random37

Post by random37 »

AndyK wrote:Personally I consider Sturmey Archer hub gears to be conclusive proof that pure evil exists and can manifest itself in physical form, but each to their own...

Is that the reason they never made any? :P
whoops

Post by whoops »

Steve, if you want to take a spin to Essex I'm sure you'll get one of mine for nothing. We could either take off the gears or the adjust them in one gear. It has no trigger on at the moment so that's one problem out of the way. It's a "ladeez" pink Kalkoff step-through.