Mounting rear reflector on the rack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
invisiblemonsters

Mounting rear reflector on the rack

Post by invisiblemonsters »

I'm hoping my problem has a really simple answer I'm too stupid to spot and I'm just overthinking this.

I've recently got a rack bag, which is great except it obstructs the rear reflector currently mounted on the seat post.

So - how do I mount the rear reflector? My rear light is on the back of the rack, so it can't go there. I was hoping to find a bracket that can attach to one of the rack struts, but I've not had any luck.

I don't have a drill (or any power tools, come to that) so I don't think I can attach it to the mudguard. Also, the bag has a rain cover, so if I were to attach it to the bag itself it would get covered over.

Not sure if this picture is any use, but hopefully illustrates the problem:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6602/bike1.jpg

(I realise that a rear reflector probably isn't that important given that I have 2 back lights, pedal reflectors, and reflecty bits on the rack bag, and generally wear a high vis waistcoat and ride defensively. Still, it would be nice to be 100% legal; in the event of an accident that came to court I guess it would count against me if I didn't have what's required by law.)
Cunobelin

Re: Mounting rear reflector on the rack

Post by Cunobelin »

Quickest and simplest is a "T" plate from any DIY shop

Measure the distance between the hole in the rack and the mudguard so you get the correct size

Simply fix the wide blade between the Cateye and the rack, and fit the reflector to the arm

(Edit) A couple of zip ties will prevent the arm rotating

Sorted!
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Could you bodge something out of a sheet of plastic cut from a 2 litre fizzy drink bottle? That stuff is quite tough but you can still cut it with scissors and I imagine you could push holes in it with, say, a bit of bent coat hanger heated in a flame, or with the tip of a pointy knife.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It's unfortunate that you have one of the minority of rear lights that don't have a BS6102 rear reflector built-in.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Looking at the diameter of the tube it may be possible to use a "P" clip used in electrical instalation each clip has a hole in it for fixing screws which with a bit of luck will accept your fixing off the reflector. you might get them from B&Q (usual disclaimer) or a electrical wholesalers open the clip out slip over the tube and squeeze together if it is a bit slack cut up a slice of old inner tube to pack it out.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
paulah

Post by paulah »

Both of my bikes came with a rear reflector / light unit that was attached to the back of the rack, the lights not that great (others may be better) but the reflector's the width of the rack
and so pretty visible.
There shall be only one pannier
invisiblemonsters

Post by invisiblemonsters »

Thanks for your replies. Cunobelin's T-plate suggestion seems most promising, with ferrit worrier's P-clips following closely.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

rogerzilla wrote:It's unfortunate that you have one of the minority of rear lights that don't have a BS6102 rear reflector built-in.

The OP's mudguard looks very similar to mine. I have an SKS Chromoplastic, which has a rear light complete with reflector included. If that mudguard doesn't have a reflector, they are available as aftermarket items for a quid or two (click for an example) and only require drilling the mudguard to fit. If it does have the built-in light and reflector, AFAICT you already comply with the reflector requirement.

BTW, I've got a similar rack back and mine has a light loop at the back of the bag. So I've mounted my original reflector on the carrier where the OP's got his light and mounted my rear light on my rack bag. I don't know whether this might offer a solution?

HTH,

Geoff
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

GeoffL wrote:BTW, I've got a similar rack back and mine has a light loop at the back of the bag. So I've mounted my original reflector on the carrier where the OP's got his light and mounted my rear light on my rack bag. I don't know whether this might offer a solution?

HTH,

Geoff

I've seen bags advertised with light loops. How do you ensure that the light and/or reflector is angled correctly to be of any use? It can't be as stable a mount as the bike frame or rack and the weight of the light would aim it downwards rather than towards traffic.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Deckie wrote:I've seen bags advertised with light loops. How do you ensure that the light and/or reflector is angled correctly to be of any use? It can't be as stable a mount as the bike frame or rack and the weight of the light would aim it downwards rather than towards traffic.

The back of the rack bag is fairly stiff and my light has a reasonably wide beam angle. So it can be seen by following traffic. However, in car headlights my two rear reflectors plus pedal reflectors, plus the reflective stripes and hi-vis are more effective.

Geoff
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Yours is a similar set up to mine.
There was insufficient space between mudguard and tyre to have a bolt through reflector fitted.
I cut a small mudflap from an old car footwell rubber mat. Drilled two small holes in the mudguard and tie wrapped the mudflap on. I fitted the reflector onto the mudflap.
davebax

Post by davebax »

invisiblemonsters wrote:(I realise that a rear reflector probably isn't that important given that I have 2 back lights, pedal reflectors, and reflecty bits on the rack bag, and generally wear a high vis waistcoat and ride defensively. Still, it would be nice to be 100% legal; in the event of an accident that came to court I guess it would count against me if I didn't have what's required by law.)

But I suspect you do have what is required by law - a red reflector somewhere on the back of your bike (if used after dark). There should be no need to move it to somewhere where it is always visible. If it were the case that reflectors must always be visible, then rear panniers obscuring the pedal reflectors, as they do, would be unacceptable. This is not the case AFAIK, however I have not read the law, so I could be completely mistaken.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

davebax wrote:But I suspect you do have what is required by law - a red reflector somewhere on the back of your bike (if used after dark). There should be no need to move it to somewhere where it is always visible. If it were the case that reflectors must always be visible, then rear panniers obscuring the pedal reflectors, as they do, would be unacceptable. This is not the case AFAIK, however I have not read the law, so I could be completely mistaken.

You can find the law on the OPSI site. It's the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. Unfortunately, it is difficult for most cyclists to comply and some (e.g. 'bent riders) have no chance!

For red reflectors, the requirement is covered here, but it must be visible over an arc from an arc of 60 degrees centred on the centreline of the bike (i.e. 30 degrees each side) and 15 degrees above and 5 degrees below the horizontal. If something is obstructing the view, the reflector does not comply since it is not visible over the prescribed arcs.

WRT pedal reflectors, the requirements are here. Reflectors must be fitted to the leading and trailing edges of all pedals and the appropriate reflectors must be plainly visible to the front and rear. This is why it's impossible for 'bent riders to comply since their legs prevent the pedals from being seen from the rear and it's also why cyclists who habitually ride "heel down" don't comply.

However, the story with lights is even worse. I visited three LBSs recently to try to get a basic, fully-compliant light set and nothing any of the shops carried complied. They all had a disclaimer that they must be used in conjunction with a compliant light, but none were approved in their own right. This leads me to suspect that about the only compliant lights are those from B&M et al. that are built to comply with (typically German) EU law. That said, pragmatically it doesn't matter since the authorities don't seem bothered and you're only likely to get stopped if you either don't have lights or your lights are so bright they dazzle other road users.

Of course, there is a general exemption for cyclists from the requirement to have any light or reflector between sunrise and sunset. So they can't touch you during the day!

Geoff
davebax

Post by davebax »

Thanks Geoff - very informative reply, visibility clearly does matter and my last post was misinformed.

It's not just recumbents that fail the pedal regs. I don't recall seeing SPD, Look or other click-in pedals with reflectors, and even if you have rat-trap type pedals with two reflectors each, it's difficult to ride with them 'plainly visible' fore and aft as required, bearing in mind that your foot extends perhaps 4 or 5 inches in front of and similarly behind the pedal. But as you say "pragmatically it doesn't matter since the authorities don't seem bothered".
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

davebax wrote:I don't recall seeing SPD, Look or other click-in pedals with reflectors, ...

I fitted these on my hybrid last year. They're Shimano PD-M324s and "standard" pedal reflectors fit. Shimano list reflectors for some of their other pedals, but it seems that none of the importers are willing to bring them into this country even though they're a legal requirement after dark!

That said, I fitted reflectors to my pedals because I think that nothing shouts CYCLIST to approaching motorists better than the up-and-down motion of pedal reflectors and my decision had nothing to do with what the law requires!

Geoff