Advice on a new touring bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dee4life

Re: Advice on a new touring bike

Post by dee4life »

Hi,

I bought a Dawes Audax Supreme a year ago and have toured in France with it, I also regularly cycle to work (46 miles) loaded with 2 panniers I have found it to be very accomodating and firm. The bike is suited for both touring and day rides and I have not had a problem with the wheels. I would question the back brake and you have to be careful with the luggage as it sometimes impacts the brake.

Good luck
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I had an issue with te rear brake and on the advice of people on the forum, changed the cable. This resolved the problem completely. On my bike too the the rear carrier (Jim Blackburn) nearly touches the brake, so I would advise trying before you buy the carrier to find one that gives better clearance
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Fred Armour

Post by Fred Armour »

Hi,
Have you considered the Ridgeback Panorama World? I purchased one in 08, and I find it to be a fantastic touring bike. Comes with pannier racks, very comfortable on long distance. A pleasure to ride.

Fred
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I'm in the process of doing the same sort of thing. Went up to Madgetts in Diss yesterday who have a very good range of lightweights and tourers.
But sadly,they are the only shop in the area who carry anything like a decent stock. I phoned arond another seven shops today, (Essex and Suffolk) who are Ridgeback and Raleigh stockists (supposedly). None of them had any of the bikes on my shortlist. I suppose the truth of it is that they don't sell enough tourers to warrant carrying the stock.
Bit like the Chicken and the Egg really.
They don't sell those bikes,so they don't stock them and they can't sell them because... they don't have them!

But it's no wonder that so many turn to buying thier bikes from the web' or, the big city stockists like Evans.

Hey Ho, the times they are a changing'.