GPS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mw3230

GPS

Post by mw3230 »

I've tried to search on various terms such as'GPS' and 'sat nav' but got no hits. I'm sure the topic has been covered at length but where? Anyway, my question is this - of all the various GPS devices available for use by cyclists, are there any which give turn by turn instruction in the manner of a Tomtom, and if so do they need a route loaded into them from some other source or is there sufficient mapping data in the device itself?

The reason I'm asking is that I've booked a place on one of the CTC E2E holidays and the leader's notes advocate the use of a GPS (which i don't have)
Retired and loving it
mw3230

Re: GPS

Post by mw3230 »

I've been searching various supplier web sites and I may have answered my own question. The Garmin Edge 705 seems to fill the bill. Has anyone any experience of this particular piece of kit. I like the sound of it - if not the price
Retired and loving it
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

The eTrex Legend with mapping (£160-ish with bike mount) does pretty much the same thing and is barely any larger. No HRM or "training" features, but navigation is just the same, if not better.
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

To be honest tomtom can be ok. I use it on my pda and with two batteries I get 10 hours out of it. I have to say i have 3 batteries for a long ride and i'm not willing to ride longer than 10hours anyway. (if you turn it off when not necessary menining using it in conjunction with the bike computer, you will probably get more than 10hours with only one battery).

Overall tomtom (you need to use the waypoints+cycling mode) is more than enough for me so far. The pda obviously play music etc. as well, all in one package. being a PDA it can do lots of stuff for you. A bit like a swiss army knive.
I can't be bothered with another gadget really.
Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16030208@N ... 315420924/
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The 705 has a built-in rechargeable battery that lasts 12-15h, so you'll need a to find a wall socket to plug the charger into every night. When on tour this would be unavailable when camping and insecure in hostels.
The Etrex Legend (HCx) does 20-25h on 2xAA. You can either carry spares, or plug in a cheap battery charger if an insecure plug is available.
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

my pda had come with a separate charger/stand which is cheap enough to leave in hostel environment. The pda is like a mobile, it has a removable battery. So, it works for me. I'm sure nowadays there are many systems that will work this way.