Bike lights in the daytime

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
frank9755

Bike lights in the daytime

Post by frank9755 »

I often put my lights on while riding in the daytime. Especially if it's a dull day, and/or if I'm wearing a dark colour. I figure that the biggest cause of accidents is 'sorry, didn't see you, mate!' and if it can make me even slightly more visible, it is worthwhile. Most of my riding is on London streets where there can be a lot going on for the poor drivers (and pedestrians) to focus on, so a cyclist can sometimes blend into the background. Motorbikes routinely do it so it can't be that daft an idea, but I'm always surprised that I see so few other cyclists using lights before dark.

Anyone else do it? Anyone have a reason I had overlooked why I should not?
Manx Cat

Re: Bike lights in the daytime

Post by Manx Cat »

Yes, I do.

There was a sea mist surrounding the island today, and it was drizzling to boot. If the cars put their lights on, I tend to follow suit, as they drive behind glass, i can imagine they think lights are needed, therefore like you, as I want no one to say 'You were too dark dearie, I never saw you.' so, I do light up during the day, and always have my lights fully charged up if Im on a biggie cycle day out - just in case. Especially up high hills that can have totally different weather than the lowlands.

I also wear a Sam Brown high viz belt, as typically, all my rain wear is black, and so is my bike mostly. The Sam Brown really shows up well against a black overjacket.

I am currently looking for some bright paclite type of riding wear to increase my 'Here I am' look.

Mary
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Your average bike light isn't anything like as bright as a car or motorbike headlight, and most will hardly show up against normal daylight.
If you want to check turn it on, and then walk off and look at your bike from 70 or 80 yards off.

Also, you don't want to have run your batteries flat by the time it does go dark.
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

If visibility is poor I'll put my lights on, just as I would if I were driving my car. I also put my lights on if the sun is bright but low in the sky, as I don't want car drivers to miss me because the sunlight is in their eyes. Again, just as I would if driving a car.

However, it does strike me that I seem to be alone amongst the cyclists I see in doing this. So it's good to know there are others out there who do the same.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I think 2.4W/3W of headlight barely shows up. And I'd either be running the dynamo, slowing me down, or wasting battery power.
steve climpson

Post by steve climpson »

richardyorkshire wrote:If visibility is poor I'll put my lights on, just as I would if I were driving my car. I also put my lights on if the sun is bright but low in the sky, as I don't want car drivers to miss me because the sunlight is in their eyes. Again, just as I would if driving a car.

However, it does strike me that I seem to be alone amongst the cyclists I see in doing this. So it's good to know there are others out there who do the same.

No you're not alone. I have them on in low sun, deep shadow conditions. Can't do any harm and might do some good. But then I'm a southern softie. :)
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Try Reellites
drossall

Post by drossall »

I don't bother, mostly because I don't think they will show against daylight.

However, it seems to me that the DRL habit is dangerous to cyclists, and I don't want to be part of it for that reason either.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Depends on the conditions, if it is gloomy, raining, etc and cars have their lights I tend to err on the side caution.
It is not true that lights do not show up in daylight, have often been behind someone in similar conditions to above and their lights could be seen for some considerable distance along the A6, always reassuring to know that you do show up well. With today's LEDs being so efficient on battery use, I do not think sparing your batteries is much of an excuse.
Now when we ran lights on the big SP2(?)s it was a different story, then we would put them on at last minute and they would last out the end of the club run home on a winter's night, and it was pain to carry spares due to the weight.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

rogerzilla wrote:I think 2.4W/3W of headlight barely shows up. And I'd either be running the dynamo, slowing me down, or wasting battery power.

I disagree about whether they show up in daylight (8.30AM a couple of days ago).

I lean in favour of lighting up during the day, but I can understand the argument against. Did I jeopardise other cyclists in that mist because I made drivers a little bit lazier by being easy to see? It's a serious consideration.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Impressive. What lamp do you have?
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Good to hear I'm not alone!

Low sun is the other thing that makes me put them on - forgot that one. On the odd time I do see another cyclist with lights it is surprising how well they do show up in daylight. And to state the obvious, the nearer they are, the brighter they get.

I can understand someone not wanting to pedal against their dynamo when not necessary but the 'running down batteries' doesn't make sense because if you ever use lights you discharge the battery and at some point it will run out; better to happen during the day than at night - in any case I carry spares!

What's the argument against? Is it that if all cars had day lights it would make it harder for the drivers to see anything that wasn't similarly lit? I can understand that in theory but if only us cyclists could achieve so much - to be able to influence legislation just by switching on our lights! I suppose you could say that if some cyclists had lights and others didn't then it makes those without them more vulnerable. But the same argument would apply to high visibility jackets, so I can't agree with that.

Anyway I rode in in dim light this morning. About half the cars had lights on but only perhaps 2 or w3 other bikes out of the many tens I saw were lit.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

In dim conditions-not unusual in the Winter, I put on lights for extra visibility,together with a visibility jacket.
Inevitably some drivers just aren't looking, perhaps because cars double as entertainment centres/social networking sites - but at least if the worst happens the careless (should be dangerous) driving charge should be harder to refute in court.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I feel the need to light up in poor daylight visibility. I use the falsh mode as I feel this is easier to see.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
skrx

Post by skrx »

I turn on my rear flashing LED light all the time. I bought it at the start of the year, have used it for at least an hour every day (~100 hours so far), and it's still going fine.
I don't bother turning on the front light unless visibility is poor.

It probably isn't much use a lot of the time (like today between 9.30 and 10.00) but it's already attached to the bike, I may as well press the switch before I leave. I don't see how it can do any harm.