Bike Advice - small ladies

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Kevbcbga

Bike Advice - small ladies

Post by Kevbcbga »

I am trying to source a bike for my wife, who is 5'0 tall.
She wants something as lightweight as possible, with low gearing to help with hills as at the moment she is unfit, and struggles with anything more than a small incline. Mainly for use on road, but would have occasional use on canal towpaths, but nothing really more severe than that. Would like a rack to be able to fit panniers. At the moment main use would be for a 4 mile commute , with further leisure rides at weekends, with the aim of building up to around 40 -50 miles per day over a period of time.
Budget would be around the £300-£400 max.
I have been looking at hybrids but am struggling finding much with a very small frame size. Any advice (particularly from someone with similar size issues) would be much appreciated.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
gilesjuk

Re: Bike Advice - small ladies

Post by gilesjuk »

Bike fit is more crucial on the racing style bikes. Something more upright won't be so critical, however you should always endeavour to try the bike out and not go rely on geometry info.

The important things to consider is will the seat go low enough and is the reach to the bars comfortable.

A good bike shop would be able to help with her requirements.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I'm the same height as your wife, and I have a Specialized Globe which cost less than your price range. I had a lot of difficulty finding a bike to fit me and LBS was not helpful. In the end Evans found this for me. Its a lightweight hybrid and I have pannier rack and mudguards on it.

I did post on this board and was recommended a Dawes Discovery but when I saw one I thought it was quite heavy. I also saw a Ridgeback Velocity in the 2008 Cycle Show and that apparently comes in extra small.

Hope your wife is successful.

Jan

:D
Kevbcbga

Post by Kevbcbga »

Thanks Jan,
We'll see if we can find one over theweekend to have a look at.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
paulah

Post by paulah »

a decent small wheeled folding bike might be an option - although it would probably mean second hand or looking for last years model on sale

Mine is supposed to be for riders from 4'8" (I'm 5'4") and has a wide range of gears http://www.world-wheels.co.uk/08_speedtr.htm
There shall be only one pannier
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I should have a look at Islabikes
They do things properly, short cranks, brake levers for small hands etc, and are a reasonable price.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Another vote for Islabikes. They're actually designed for kids but would suit a small adult.

The Luath 700c wheeled one is the one to go for. It's designed for cyclo-cross but you can fit road tyres on it and mudguards and a rack. Cost about £450.

If you want something more road specific then one of the WSD (Women Specific Design) Trek bikes should suit but you looking at £575. You can fit mudguards on them, so should also be able to fit a rack.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

When looking for a bike for my wife a few years ago (5ft2), I was frustrated at the lack of options. I really wanted to go for smaller wheels, since I feel 700c wheels are rather big on a bike that size: you have toe/wheel overlap or a very stretched out bike. However, Decathlon stock (or at least used to stock) small bikes with 650C wheels. Hers is very nice and has been reliable (it was £270, I think), the only issue is that you don't get much choice in tyres at 650C.

If she wants a flat bar bike, an MTB with slicks etc might be a good option too - it should be possible to get a fairly reasonable one in the price range you suggest.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Another recommendation for Islabikes here. My wife has had one for some years now. We had it supplied with rack, mudguards and touring tyres. I then changed the bars to something that suited and fitted a triple chainset. I would suggest the Luath 26 rather than the 700 as it has better proportions.
forestmum

Post by forestmum »

Hi there,
The Specialized Vita or Specialized Sirrus are lightweight hybrid bikes. The Vita is specifically designed for the female rider. The Sirrus is available in Male and Female versions. An XS in either Sirrus models (Male or Female) should be suitable. I've seen the Sirrus for as cheap as £292 brand new!
Big T

Post by Big T »

Russell wrote:Another recommendation for Islabikes here. My wife has had one for some years now. We had it supplied with rack, mudguards and touring tyres. I then changed the bars to something that suited and fitted a triple chainset. I would suggest the Luath 26 rather than the 700 as it has better proportions.

Luath 26 is also cheaper at £349, but it only comes with a single chainring. You'd have to really quite small to fit on one though. most kids will have outgrown it by the age of 12/13.
My JOGLE blog:
Russell

Post by Russell »

Big T wrote:Luath 26 is also cheaper at £349, but it only comes with a single chainring. You'd have to really quite small to fit on one though. most kids will have outgrown it by the age of 12/13.

All Islabike's come with a single chainring and the original OP's wife is quite small and presumably won't grow much more.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

forestmum wrote:Hi there,
The Specialized Vita or Specialized Sirrus are lightweight hybrid bikes. The Vita is specifically designed for the female rider. The Sirrus is available in Male and Female versions. An XS in either Sirrus models (Male or Female) should be suitable. I've seen the Sirrus for as cheap as £292 brand new!

Sirus and Vita would be ideal for road use, they will cope with a good surfaced tow path, although the will struggle to cope with an aggressive/technical tracks
Image Specialized Vita RRP from £293.61

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Big T

Post by Big T »

Russell wrote:
Big T wrote:Luath 26 is also cheaper at £349, but it only comes with a single chainring. You'd have to really quite small to fit on one though. most kids will have outgrown it by the age of 12/13.

All Islabike's come with a single chainring and the original OP's wife is quite small and presumably won't grow much more.

Er... wrong! The Luath 700 comes with a double chainring (48 & 34 from memory). We have 2 700's and a 26 for our kids bike club. Even the kids who aren't 5' tall seem Ok riding a 700 Luath. You'd have to be well under 5' to fit on a Luath 26.
My JOGLE blog:
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I think that Cliff has a good point in terms of 700c wheels being on the large size for such a small bike - try out some of the big brand women's specific bikes (which are all 700c I believe), and then try out similar small hybrid style bikes with 26" wheels to see what your wife prefers, if she can tell the difference that is!

Oh, I forgot to add - on some of the more 'sporty' bikes (i.e. less relaxed riding position) - going a size up on the manufacturers recommendations height-wise can give a great fit for longer distances and comfort. My 5'3" better half rides a WSD Giant road bike with recommended height range of 5'4" - 5'7" and the fit is perfect for long steady distances (as confirmed by Paul Hewitt when we had a fitting there!).