Can you help me with my project?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David Holmes

Can you help me with my project?

Post by David Holmes »

My name is David Holmes and I am curently undertaking a tecvhnology project whereby i am to design a map holder to hold a map visible to the rider on a bicycle.
I would be very appreciative to anyone who could inform me of things that they feel such a device should be able to do. For example illuminate the map when it is dark.
Thankyou for your time
David Holmes
Guy

Re:Can you help me with my project?

Post by Guy »

I would like to see something that holds the map flat, doesn't leak(!) and has a waterproof pocket large enough for an extra 3 closed OS Landranger size maps.
Si Davies

Post by Si Davies »

I'd like one that, unlike the clickfix ones, doesn't shatter when going over potholes.
Waterproof cover is good.
Would be nice if it could be expanded or retracted to match the size of the map or direction sheet that you have.
And for the bling side of things, how about a miniture compas at the top!
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's good if it doesn't cover the computer on the handlebars. Not sure about illuminating the map - it would make it hard to see the road and you'd probably go down a pothole.

As well as maps, a lot of us use them for Audax instruction sheets. One guy I saw had a scrolling arrangement so that he could turn a handle to see the next bit, instead of stopping to refold the sheet!