saddlebags what do people use???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
j.warner

saddlebags what do people use???

Post by j.warner »

I cant decide which saddle bag to go for so resort to askign around for best experiences etc from the forum members. Typically I ride Audax 200km most weeknds with a view to attempting longer distances once the warmer weather is here!

Prefer to stick to Carradice but they have so much on offer please help thanks everyone in advance.
Tako

Re: saddlebags what do people use???

Post by Tako »

Depends on your frame clearances and what luggage you'll be carrying. I'm limited to low saddle long flap (try repeating that after a few) but find it too large for <200km audax, yet not big enough for over night tours
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Single pannier :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I've got a Carradice Overlander which is an older version of the Carradura so it's a big one. It rests nicely on my rear rack and holds a ton of stuff. But it being bigger isn't much of a problem as they don't weigh much. The only thing is that the outside pockets can't take much weight without there being significant sag. It has loops on the top for even more kit.

I bought this second hand for around £15 so it was a bargain. It's not completely waterproof so if I had limitless money I'd go for a Super C.

If you want any more info I'll try and help.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
random37

Post by random37 »

I have a Cadet. Wish it was bigger.
The Camper longflap is what I'd go for. Buy one, and if it's too big I'll do you a part exchange. 8)
j.warner

Post by j.warner »

funny thing is with a new honey coloured brooks swift I was thinking wouldnt it be nice to do the barley look..........there you go a bit more to add to the conversation............so if I had a barley coloured saddlebag would i stand out from a crowd too much or be accused of being a posser!
random37

Post by random37 »

Black hides the dirt. Always struck me that the Barley ones would look awful if they got dirty.
flashman

Post by flashman »

I love my Camper Long Flap. Use it every day for commuting, audaxes so far up to 600K and will be using it on JOGLE in 3 weeks. Very hard wearing, will take a surprising amount of kit and gets better looking with age.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

As you may have gathered from previous replies the Camper version is very large and wouldn't fit my set up. Hence the Nelson longflap which I bought.
Ideal for day rides and I've also used it with flap extended to squeeze enough in for a couple of days touring.
I'm sure this would suit you.
galoka

Post by galoka »

Anothere vote for the Camper Longflap here, though it's probably too big for an the audax carrying requirements. Combined with a bar bag I find I can get enough in it for a couple of days of B&B or hostel touring
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

Long thighs mean my saddle setback is more than most so I haven't yet tried a saddle bag that doesn't hit my thighs whilst pedalling! Rack pack for me which is a shame for my fixed bike which can't take a rack.... anyone have the same problem and found something appropriate?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I did my half-LEJOG with a Barley and small bar-bag. I got a book, change of riding clothes, off the bike clothes and tools into it (all very minimal, but I didn't want for anything).

I used a 'space grip' to make the bag hang vertically on my modern saddle (secured to the rails with zip ties).
PH

Post by PH »

j.warner wrote:funny thing is with a new honey coloured brooks swift I was thinking wouldnt it be nice to do the barley look..........there you go a bit more to add to the conversation............so if I had a barley coloured saddlebag would i stand out from a crowd too much or be accused of being a posser!

The Barley is a type of bag, the smallest, it's available in black or green, as are some others.
I have two pendles (a black and a green) they're the next size up from a Barley. I find it an ideal size for a day ride and along with a bar bag enough for weekend hostel/B&B trips. The black material seems to be better wearing than the green, despite my bags both being bought in 2004, the black one looks almost new and the green is very faded.
j.warner

Post by j.warner »

Thanks for the advice I htink I am going towards the nelson longflap as it not quite so big as the camper and on eveyones advice go for the black rather than barley
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

I have the Camper Longflap and really the best saddle-bag I've had, great for going to shops and work. I did have the Nelson, but bit on the small side. That's the beauty of the Longflap, it's that extra 6 litres. But the Nelson is probably fine for Audax.