Time to cycle 8 miles roughly and bike advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
arma

Time to cycle 8 miles roughly and bike advice

Post by arma »

Hi all
I am thinking of purchasing a new bike and im looking at a Specialized Sirrus Elite, in a small frame size as my inside leg measurement is obnly 29 inches, guess im a short buttock :) i want the bike mainly for road use to cycle to the train station about 8 miles away. I have done no excercise at all for donkeys years so could someone give me a rough estimate of how long it will take on a bike like this and also a bike shop advised me to get somr Infinity city/Trecking mostly pavement tyres for it as i may be using it on forest cycle paths occasionaly as well.
I want to use this oppertunity top raise my fitness and stamina levels. I am 41 years old weigh 12.5 stone and im 5'8 tall.

I hope someone here can give me some decent giudance on this :) i relise its gonna take longer to travel these 8 miles at first so i just wanna know how long roughly so i can see what time i gotta get up in the morning :)

Tim :)
gilesjuk

Re: Time to cycle 8 miles roughly and bike advice

Post by gilesjuk »

If you're doing mainly commuting on it then I would go for something you can fit mudguards and a pannier rack to. Mudguards to keep you and the bike nice and clean, pannier rack to take the weight off your body and onto the bike. Saves you getting a sweaty back and extra weight on the saddle.

A mile every 5 minutes would be a guestimate for beginners pace on a road. Off road it depends on the terrain and trail conditions.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I like the idea of the five minute mile. Sounds about right to me, it will vary a bit according to terrain. The mudguards and pannier are sound advice too.

Some other things take a little time and need factoring in. Locking up bike, buying your ticket, even a puncture. The last one will depend upon how understanding your employer is, would they rant at someone who was late because their car broke down?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

arma

The first couple of times will be critical. Before shelling out on a bike, borrow one from somebody who has one stuck in their garage - unused mountain bike they got their son for passing the 11+, anything. After a couple of goes you will know if you are going to persevere.

A surprisingly large amount of time is taken up with things like getting the bike out of the garage; getting everything ready the night before can trim some of that. My last workplace before I retired was 6 - 7 miles and a quite hilly route. For a 6 am start, I used to reckon on up at 0430 and out of the house by 0450 but often later. I ten had time to ride to work, shower and dress for work, leaving a decent margin so I was not starting lathered. I was 50+ then, but obviously a lot more used to cycling than you are. If you are able to persevere, your trip time will tumble rapidly as you get to know the best route (if there are alternatives) get fitter, and generally learn how to avoid delays. For your first few trips I'd allow a good hour riding time, and anticipate that that will soon tumble.

One tip for saving time: it's possible to pick up a slow puncture and not realise it, only to be faced with a flat tyre when you are dashing out of the house. Check your tyres a couple of hours after you get home to make sure they are still hard. I'm not sure if you intend taking your bike to work or leaving it at the station. If it's at work, try to check your tyres during the day, for the same reason.

I hope you are able to get into the swing of this, cycling home from work is the best way of getting the troubles of the day out of your head.
overhoist

Post by overhoist »

you could always do a dummy run, will give you a rough idea.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I have a five mile commute which normally takes 25 minutes (it was 30 when I started so I guess I'm getting fitter) so the five minute mile makes sense to me too.

I get up at 6.30 and am out of the house at 7.15. Amongst other things, that gives me time for cereal or toast. I'm usually at work at 7.40, however I have to go through three major sets of traffic lights (at which I stop!) and this can add five minutes to my journey if they all go against me.

It takes a few minutes to get to the underground car park where there are bike stands, and then I have a shower. Having made a cup of coffee, I'm at my desk by 8.15.

hope this is helpful

Jan

(I've also got a Specialized hybrid, mines a Globe)
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

I would suggest that initially allow a whole hour for the 8 miles, which for someone used to it is excessive time. Your time will drop fairly quickly.

This evening I had to visit someone3 1/2 to 4 miles away, 20 minutes each way and non-sweaty i.e. relaxed riding. No shower needed!

I think experienced cyclists underestimate the effort needed when one starts cycling
byegad

Post by byegad »

If you are wanting to arrive not too sweaty, then maybe an hour to start with, then as you get fitter the time will come down. I'd expect your time after a few months to be around 40 minutes without getting sweaty and maybe 30 minutes if you really go for it. I was commuting 16 miles each way in 1hr 3mins to work and 1hr 20mins home at 56 years old, I live at 100metres altitude above work.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I too would endorse the "allow an hour" rule, that way you have time to spare for faffing around at the station, locking up, getting bag sorted etc., on to platform/train.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

+1 to all the above. Leave an hour and relax, you'll still be pleasantly surprised how fast you get there.

If you want to know how long it will take you as a general rule (once your fitness is up), I would personally aim for sub-25 minutes for an 8 mile commute without hills (20mph is a 3 minute mile) - but even a more sedate 15mph will get you there in just over half an hour.

Commuting is only a race if you want it to be. Like many people, I use my commute as a workout (and sweat correspondingly!), but it's quite possible to ride without ever breaking a sweat.

Go for it :)
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

I started cycling properly again 4 years ago at the age of 42. I bought a hybrid and thought I was going to die through lack of fitness. My first few rides nearly killed me, full on aching limbs, headaches, muscle strains etc. After about 2 or 3 weeks though I really got back into it. I had ridden most of my life since being a child anyway. I used to commute on it 15 miles round trip, as my fitness levels rose I started to shed gears and now ride fixed gear. I smoke and am now almost 46 and it keeps me trim and fairly fit, can burn off all those geared riders from the lights too. My advice is don't expect too much too soon, give yourself a chance to build up to your commute. And for me anyway 'warming up' before a ride is essential otherwise it takes me a good 3 or 4 miles to be up to fighting speed. And even in the rain and snow its much better than being stuck on public transport!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Just a thought about locking the bike at the station. Do you want to leave a shiny new bike to be bashed and scratched by others or worse still knicked. You may want to consider a second hand bike for leaving at the station. I know this may go a bit against having a nice bike to ride but I wouldn't want to leave my good bike at my local station.

What are the rules about taking bikes on trains where you live and work? If you can take it on then it may be a better option to leave your bike at work. It can be a bit of a faff but better than it not being there when you get back.

Back to the original post mudguards are essential IMHO as is some means of carrying stuff not on your back, e.g. panniers but consider how you are going to carry whatever it is off the bike.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
meic

Post by meic »

I would definately leave an hour for the first trip.

The times given by most of the previous posts are for experienced cyclists on good roads with few restrictions.

I am a high mileage cyclist, faster than most that I meet but still do trips where the REAL AVERAGE speed falls below 10mph.
I can happily cruise at 18mph but consider an average speed of 13mph to be good.
If you feel that you are taking safety precautions, they will eat into your journey time too.

A good headwind can knock you back so allow extra time on days where it is against you.

After a month or so your times will reduce quite drastically.
Yma o Hyd
Big T

Post by Big T »

I'd say about 40 minues for 8 miles. I used cycle 10 miles to a train station in 40 minutes, over 2 significant hills, but as a beginner you'll be slower than this. I agree with leaving yourself an hour the first time you do it. I was usually late and it's amazing how motivating it can be, knowing you have to be there in time to catch the train. I used to get changed in the toilet on the train (15 minute train journey) and I'd usually cooled down by the time I'd got to work (2 minute walk from station to desk).

My journey to the station was on mainly rural roads with only 1 set of traffic lights. My present urban commute - 6 miles through heavy traffic with 8 sets of lights, takes 25-27 minutes, which is remarkaby consistent, irrespective of traffic, wind or weather.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
normski

Post by normski »

Hi

Yep leave more time for the first couple of months, an hours probaly ok for a one way. I would also try a dry run, just so you know the route. I started cycling to work in sept 2007 a roundtrip of about 20 miles. It was taking me over an hour for 10 miles at first, but Im now averaging about 45-50minutes on my old MTB with semi slicks. I usually get a headwind on the way home as Im heading west so thats usually a 50 mins trip. Leave some extra time at either end for changing/showers and faffing about.

I certainly feel more bike fit now, even overtaking the odd racing bike uphill.

Good luck

Norman