First tour: London to South itally crazy??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alfredos

First tour: London to South itally crazy??

Post by alfredos »

Hi there.
Am planning to do the trip this summer through most of august, (i know its going to be hot but can't do it any other time) with 2 friends. Havent been training too much for it but i cycle very regularly and am reasnobly fit. Does anyone know how long it will take, estimated and is it a stupid idea to do the alps the first time we have done any serious touring?
Another question. Anyone know an interent site that shows what stretches/yoga stretches cyclists have to concentrate on?
Many thanks for any info.
Alf
gar

Re:First tour: London to South itally crazy??

Post by gar »

Upper body exercices are really essential since you do not get much of them while pedalling. The stomach muscles DO get plenty, but it must be the lower muscles of the proverbial six pack, that the women so much admire, and not the top pair.

Re south Italy, the via Francigena is an up and coming route would you like to join the association?
There are various B+B packs and route packs which are helpful, all the way to Rome or turn right if you prefer the coast line. The best hospitality is to be found from the border of
Italy onwards.

I believe that the Camino Santiago actually has a
vestigial route from southern Italy but I shall have to check that. It links up with the reverse Francigena in Rome, and turns left in France.
gar

Post by gar »

www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/

Apologies. In fact there is NO peregrination route from southern Italy marked except for the fact that Ancient pilgrims who went to Rome frequently continued to Jerusalem. Again I will check it for you. It may coincide with your interest in southern Italy routes.
gar

Post by gar »

www.walkingtojerusalem.org/route.htm

The closest you will get to southern Italy using the pilgrim route maps is Bari, which is their embarkation point for Greece,.

Bari may be enough for you to know that London to south Italy is quite frequently WALKED, so cycling is not that big a deal!

You may want to get to Sicily, so you would have to buy Southern Italian 1:100,000 maps from a Map shop, Stanfords in Long Acre London for the last part of the journey.

Enjoy your browsing.
Saviour

Post by Saviour »

Hey Alfredos, I'm from Malta and I was thinking of doing the same route in the opposite direction this summer (july-august) however I have no one to do it with. I know this might look like a self invitation, but if you think I could join you, I could help with the Italian language. I've toured in Sicily before.
You can contact me on: saviourag @ gmail.com
(remove the spaces)