Poor dealers.Is it only me?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
markis42

Poor dealers.Is it only me?

Post by markis42 »

I have to get this off my chest.I have bought four new bikes in the last two months and the service received has been "poor" to say the least.I bought two Specialized mountain bikes from a local dealer.When i got them home i gave them the once over and found several faults on both bikes.One of the faults was the handlebars not being straight.How simple was that to spot? Today i collected a bike from a branch of the Specialized "concept" stores ,the all singing self prasing ones.I got the bike home and checked it out to find the gears dont select properly.I asked the sales person if the bike had been checked and he told me it was all done.I gave them both a real ear bashing and to the concept stores credit they are sending thier TOP mechanic to my house in the moring to put right the faults.
All i want to know is in theses hard times when shops are complaining about lack of business why is it these two dealers seem to be trying to ruin their own chances with crap service.When you buy a new bike it should be ready and fit to ride.
Is it only me?
Ps the best service i had was from a Decathlon store from where i bought a very very nice 5.2 rockrider.
jezer

Re: Poor dealers.Is it only me?

Post by jezer »

Four new bikes in two months, are you an MP? :shock:
Power to the pedals
markis42

Post by markis42 »

No im not.Every penny earnt in an honest fashion.
Si

Post by Si »

<Topic moved from Reviews as it wasn't a review of any specific dealer or product as such.>
random37

Post by random37 »

I think generally, they are pretty bad.
There's one expensive shop near me that I won't mention because it's not fair, that sneers at me whenever I used to go there.
I went in once, with £1000 cash in my pocket, looking to buy a Rocky Mountain. The chap behind the counter asked me why I'd want one, as I obviously didn't know enough about bikes to be even contemplating such a thing, then grudgingly let me go out to the car park with one of the shop boys. He let me ride it round the car park a couple of times, then took it off me and started doing tricks on it around said carpark, completely ignoring me. Safe to say, they didn't get any of the £1000.
And of course the biggest shop near me completely ignored me unless I bought something expensive. The only really good lbs was a tiny, scruffy aladdin's cave type place that belonged to a guy who sadly was run over cycling into work. :(
jam05

Post by jam05 »

Come to Aberystwyth for unbeatable knowledge and care from the one and only Summit Cycles! They've looked after me and my bikes for nearly a decade now.
glueman

Post by glueman »

The problem from the punter's point of view is a cycle business that's progressively run by an owner who knows how to make money will inevitably end up as a large scale operation without the hands on care you might want. One man shows tend to be loving but under-financed operations where everything has to be ordered in and takes a week longer and costs half as much again as buying it online.

The local shop/builder with a strong clientele, good service, focus for local clubs and place you can grab a cup of tea is an increasing rariity - if you have one, support it enthusiastically.
byegad

Post by byegad »

It's a business I wouldn't want to be in. Like so many other Local Shops the LBikeS is squeezed every which way. They pay more wholesale for their bikes as they don't get the bulk discount the big manufacturers offer to the large outlouts and chain stores. They have to carry a large stock of parts, so tying up a lot of capital or order everything in as needed, so being seen as slow. Then the internet offers a huge discount that they can't match if they sell at their wholesale price.

One of my LBS's exists on the ocassional rider's inability to do anything, not even mend a puncture, and the local kids ability to wreck or lose their bikes on a regular basis. How he makes a living I don't know.

The other LBS is a roadie haunt and reliably will sneer at anyone not appropriately kitted up and knowledgable. He makes money from the local road club's fashion victims need for new bikes every year, not all the club are involved but it must be a steady trade in higher end bikes, and their unwillingness to service their winter bikes before storing them for the summer. That and racing tyres and tubes seem to be his business, I'm sure he makes a bit more money than the first owner but he certainly isn't rich, more an enthusiast doing his thing.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

jezer wrote:Four new bikes in two months, are you an MP? :shock:

That's the bst I've heard on the subject - nice one jezer!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Seriously though - most of the LBSs in my area are decent, honourable, competant, pleasant and helpful blokes. There are cowboys everywher I know, but from postings on this forum, I have concluded that West Yorkshire is an absolute heaven for LBSs. My experience of south-east Lancashire is the same.

My limited experience of glitzy (plastic) emporiums, with loads of assistants and all the latest fashion has led me to the decision that I just won't deal with them any more.

As for internet shops............
glueman

Post by glueman »

JohnW wrote:

Spa Cycles is an internet shop :shock: And I don't know what we'd do without them.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

glueman wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Spa Cycles is an internet shop :shock: And I don't know what we'd do without them.

You're right of course glueman - and I don't know what we'd do without them either.

For 'Internet shops......', read : 'Internet only shops.......'

Of course, not everyone will agree, but the original poster would have had more difficulty with his problems if he'd bought from an internet only shop.
glueman

Post by glueman »

By the by, does anyone know if Spa will be at York this year? I don't recall them or Carradice having a stand last time which was a great shame. Maybe the big cycle promotion marquee with the guys who strip search you (only slight exaggeration) as you go in made the others pull out? Not very York Rally.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I don't think Spa have been at York since the 2000 fiasco, I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Internet shops; we were only discussing this yesterday as a local shop is both. Internet is all very well but of no use if you cannot go in and try products on, look at what is available mull over your purchase.
I need a new pair of race shoes, and knowing my left foot is slightly bigger than my right and will never buy shoes without trying on first.
Of course my first problem is finding a shop that stocks my size, but at least we now have women specific shoes rather than when I started cycling and shoes rarely started at 6 or 7............. This is probably why my current race shoes have lasted 20 years as I have been either unable or loathe to seek out a new pair.

Back on subject, I have little problem with LBS over the years or indeed bigger shops. Last year when I visted 2-3 different shops whilst considering a pure TT bike, although I was accompanied a male, all the male shop attendents spoke directly to me rather than defering to a bloke on the technical stuff. Indeed am used to being talked to as an equal so it was in fact Phil who noticed and pointed this out to me.
This is not unusual in my very LBS where they know me, but I guess in shops where they did not know me and are bigger commercial concerns it could be unusual.

In general I find I get respect and good service in shops I use, but then I am in Lancs so perhaps you need to move to this part of the world :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
glueman

Post by glueman »

eileithyia wrote:I don't think Spa have been at York since the 2000 fiasco, I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Surely that can't be right? The old memory's not what it was but I'm sure Spa were regulars until later than that. Carradice were also a great source of bits and bobs as well as seconds bags and Bike+ very good for Brooks saddles. Last year was the first one since they allowed selling I bought absolutely nothing!