Abuse from motorists advice please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pixgazza

Abuse from motorists advice please

Postby pixgazza » 3 Jun 2009, 9:05pm

Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place but I am new to the forum and still finding my way around. I just had to write as I'm still hopping mad and not sure if there is anything I can do about it.
Background: Its 8 miles to my workplace and have been cycling to work since last year. I'm 53 years old and cycling was just the thing for me. I've not felt as fit in a long time. I bought my Royal through the cycle to work scheme and hopefully will have paid for it in September.

I had been working late and at 20:15 was nearing my home village when out of the blue in a fairly suburban built up area a Red Corsa (I think) drew up next to me with two, maybe three youths in it. The idiot passenger stuck his head out shouting and bawling obviously trying to destablise me. I was clocking on a bit (well for me that is) at about 18 mph - fortunately it didnt cause too much disruption and I managed to keep control. The idiots found the whole thing very funny and continued to shout and gesture whilst keeping just in front. Eventually they speeded up and I suspect dived into one of the pubs with large parking places out the way. To be quite honest I was tempted to go round the carpark looking for them. I was angry that they could have caused a nasty accident and then if one did occur just drive off, had a good laugh and nuffin to do with us Guv. I gritted my teeth and made it home. My request for advice is : Was there anything that I could have done? Would reporting it have done any good? The idiots were there that long in front of me I have their number well recorded. Do I just put it down to youthful high spirits. If I had my mobile phone to hand would it have done any good if I had whipped it out and looked as though I was reporting it? Sorry to go on

I welcome you advice and experiences please, its a great forum.

Many thanks

thirdcrank

Re: Abuse from motorists advice please

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jun 2009, 9:21pm

Some people on (like me) think this sort of thing happens a lot - and the verbal abuse is at the milder end of the scale. Others believe it rarely happens and sometimes imply that it is provoked by the people on the receiving end.

I think the main thing is to try to ignore it - those involved are more likely to get bored if they receive no reaction. The experience of many people is that without independent witnesses, reports to the police often do not get much action. (This has never been identified as a problem requiring a priority response.)

One extra element in your post is the fact that it seems to have happened near to your home, pehaps on your regular route home. Anything which happens which might commit you to your tormentors' / assailants' memory may trigger a repeat.

byegad

Postby byegad » 3 Jun 2009, 9:24pm

Report it to the local police. On its own it's not a big issue but if they did it to you they've done it to someone else. Eventually they'll be found and your piece of the jigsaw will be used.

Well that's the theory but if you don't report it nothing will happen.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

jimmynoboat

Postby jimmynoboat » 3 Jun 2009, 9:28pm

Hi pixgazza, Hopefully that's a one-off. Had it been me I'd be pretty angry too but I think any form of confrontation would probably have ended badly for you. Reporting the car reg may have earned the owner a visit from the Police but who's going to corroborate your story? You would probably find that you'd need to have been hurt to get anything at all done about it. If it happened again then I'd definitely report it and rope in any bystanders as well but, I'm sorry to say, I'd probably change my route home too!
Finally - get your phone out and call the Police there and then? Gawd! you'd have been photographed by 10 CCTV cameras, swooped on by an armed response unit and charged with endangering the lives of three fine young, law abiding citizens :wink:
If a little knowledge is dangerous ... I'm lethal!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Jun 2009, 9:28pm

Agree.

Report it. You have the time, date, road, car make and model, and reg number too.

Maybe nothing will happen, but perhaps if it's reported enough, something will.
Mick F. Cornwall

Hemipode

Postby Hemipode » 3 Jun 2009, 9:31pm

Sorry to hear of your incident,
Unfortunately it appears from other similar posts that unless there is an actual physical assault the police do not act on such incidents.
A past thread on motorists v cyclists is here.
If you have a local bobby it may be worth having a chat with them. The louts may be known to them or regular offenders, in which case they may be shown the error of their ways.
Whatever happens, keep enjoying your cycling & don't let the ******** grind you down !

< edit - I must type really slowly - there were no replies when I started :lol: >

MarkC

Postby MarkC » 3 Jun 2009, 10:29pm

Mick F wrote:Agree.

Report it. You have the time, date, road, car make and model, and reg number too.

Maybe nothing will happen, but perhaps if it's reported enough, something will.

I agree with MickF.

Romeo Whisky

Postby Romeo Whisky » 3 Jun 2009, 11:13pm

If you have a community policeman report it to him direct if you can. He might well know who it is and have a word, even if the account is uncorroborated, and thus unlikely to result in prosecution. Don't let bullys get away with it.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 4 Jun 2009, 6:40am

You have sufficient details to report it. Maybe nothing will be done, maybe it will be logged as a catalogue of other events and eventually they will be caught.

I too would have been tempted to check out a pub car park, discreetly let tyre down if you find car parked up??????????????/

Unfortunately, as a regular cycle commuter, some form of abuse happens most days. These warm summer evenings tends bring the worst of our yuff with their blingy racers and horrid mates to show off to.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 4 Jun 2009, 6:52am

It's usually a Citroen Saxo, the chavmobile of choice. Normally they don't slow down so all you hear is a Doppler-effect "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuuh!"

hamster

Postby hamster » 4 Jun 2009, 7:49am

Happens occasionally to me. Report the cases where you have the best evidence, let the others go. Otherwise there is a danger that the cops will start to believe that you are some kind of loony, which isn't helpful if you have something more serious to report.

Unfortunately the world has a substantial number of idiots in it.

Revenge is tempting but ill advised.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 4 Jun 2009, 4:46pm

If you report it (and surely will be a total waste of time) and the scum find out, very possibly the next encounter will leave you (at best) injured.
Car v. bike is a pretty uneven contest.
IF you know them and IF you have some large mates, give 'em a visit and a stiff talking to (with an iron bar will work best).

stoobs

Postby stoobs » 4 Jun 2009, 4:49pm

djnotts wrote:If you report it (and surely will be a total waste of time) and the scum find out, very possibly the next encounter will leave you (at best) injured.
Car v. bike is a pretty uneven contest.
IF you know them and IF you have some large mates, give 'em a visit and a stiff talking to (with an iron bar will work best).

Ah, God bless the meek - they're no pushover :shock:

They might inherit the Earth, but there'll be no road for them.

UrbanManc

Postby UrbanManc » 4 Jun 2009, 5:38pm

We must ALL report incidents like this.

If it's not already been mentioned, vehicles can be confiscated if the police receive reports of anti-social behaviour, so it's essential it's reported, the police don’t even need evidence.

I sometimes get verbal, either by idiots outside pubs, or w****** in cars, usually brain dead 'yoofs'.

I've also got a 'headcam' though I don't use it enough and when I do , I always seem to have the perfect trouble free ride , which is very annoying :roll:

If I think I can handle a situation I take people on, though for most of the time it's not recommended because it's more often than not a large number of people.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jun 2009, 7:06pm

I think this is the legislation UrbanManc is talking about

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2002/uk ... -pb5-l1g59 (If nevessary, scroll down to s 59 seizing of vehicles.)

I had already been retired some 5 years when this was introduced so I don't know much about how it works in practice. Reading the relevant backgound stuff, it was primarily intended to deal with drivers / scrambling motorcyclists terrorising housing estates by tearing about roads and land, where police taking names and address and issuing 'producers' for driving offences was ineffectual. It obviously also applies to the type of anti-social behaviour being referred to in this thread. While it's true that the police do not need evidence to act - their power is based on "reasonable grounds for believing" - I think that good evidence would be useful if they wanted to take things to the ultimate of disposing of a vehicle seized, unless it was untaxed and nobody admitted owning it.

It's my impression that this is one of the high profile bits of anti-social stuff introduced under David Blunkett. The ideal sort of thing for capturing 'eye-catching' headlines in local papers but no resources for anything more than an occasional blitz.

Everybody who says that nothing gets done without reports is true. OTOH there are plenty on here who have been frustrated by a police unwillingness to take them seriously when they do make reports. Perhaps a start would be to make it clear that the report is made under section 59 of the Police Reform Act, 2002 "Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance."