Trailer Bike Setup

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pigman

Trailer Bike Setup

Post by pigman »

Ive got an early islabikes rack mounted trailer bike.
when I set it up initially, the pivot was vertically behind the hub of my bike. I understand this was wrong, so now have it as far forward as poss and the pivot is in front of my hub, the rationale being that the closer the weight is to the centre of my bike (ie me), the better it should handle and it does it work better.
The latest issue of cycle suggests and shows a photo with the steering pivot directly above the pilot's bike rear hub. I recall CJ stating that this is the optimum for steering and handling. Can anyone confirm which is the optimum position for the pivot based on experience. I wanna get it right.
Deckie

Re: Trailer Bike Setup

Post by Deckie »

I suppose with the joint directly above the rear wheel's contact poit with the ground would make sence as the bike pivots around that point, and so will the trailer. Most commercial towing vehicles attempt to get the trailer pivot as close to this point as they can, although this will be more for balance and weight baring issues.

If you are comfortable with your set up, keep it.

For the record, our trailer attaches to a special quick release skewer supplied with it, but the pivot point is behind the rear wheel. It's an Extrawheel trailer, a single 700C wheel with a frame over and round it that carries two large cargo nets, one either side, into which anything, including the two 60L dry bags, can be fitted. The weight is taken entirely by the trailer wheel (40 spoke, by the way).
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com