Those MASSIVE roundabouts in Crewe

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Manx Cat

Those MASSIVE roundabouts in Crewe

Post by Manx Cat »

For the next Audax on the 5th July, I have to cycle out of Crewe railway station following the A534, this means going around some SERIOUSLY huge roundabouts. Now, we only have mini roundabouts where I live, even in a car, I would stuggle to tackle this.

I have looked on Google Maps using the photo imaging thats on there, and I have 2 very big and one smaller roundabout to tackle. The first two I think I can manage, but the last one is very complicated looking from above on Google.

The final one is the largest, and I have a right turn as I am looking for the B5077.

Does anyone know if there is a cycle path to help get past this, I shall be cycling on a Friday, so a busy day as well.

Even a pedestrian crossing would do, Im happy to walk the long way round if I can.

Mary
johnmac

Re: Those MASSIVE roundabouts in Crewe

Post by johnmac »

The two big roundabouts are very difficult for car drivers - it's hard to know which lane you're supposed to be in. So the cars will tend to be hessitant and cautious. The other good thing for you is that there are traffic lights all around the two big islands, so the cars will not have a chance to get up much speed. I'm not aware of a cycle track so if there is one, it's no more than a white line on the road.

Where does your route take you?
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Thank you for your reply john. Not sure if I like what I read or not :lol:

Worried car drivers, scared Manx Cat... still it will boost my confidence to do this.... I would never do it by car, so I do hope I can walk round the blasted thing on the day... I just might sit at the side of the road for 10 minutes or so and watch to see how its done.

I leave Crewe after tackling these roundabouts, then onto the B5077, which is sort of a right turn out of Crewe it immediately seems to find the countryside - I always thought Crewe was a big place? Anyhow, I follow this route, until such a time that I find Slaughter Hill, shortly afterwards, the road meets up wiht the Cheshire cycle route towards Congleton. (Its about 12-15 miles from Crewe)

I stay on this (route 70 I think, but I am guessing that, as the details are upstairs).... The route goes right through Congleton and past the B&B I am staying at. It seemed the quietest route I could find. 'Cept leaving Crewe will feel like fireworks.

Going to print off the Google Earth image of that roundabout and try to memorise it! Might even laminate it and take it with me on the day.

Mary
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mary, do not worry, am not sure about a cycleway, and had Andrew around part of that big roundabout a few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon. We coped ok partly due to the traffic light control. The lights stop traffic feeding in from your left as you tackle the roundabout. (they put them in on one of my commuter routes a few years and it means I no longer have my heart in my mouth as I cross 2 lanes of traffic feeding from the motorway, invariable someone would always try to enter the roundabout as I was passing their bumper before the lights arrived).
However it will probably be just as easy to get off and cross over, there are central reservations etc so you only have to cross half a road at a time, esp if you are going right it will be a bit shorter.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gaz

Post by gaz »

Manx Cat wrote:Does anyone know if there is a cycle path to help get past this, I shall be cycling on a Friday, so a busy day as well.

Zooming right in on google satellite map there's on pavement segregated cyclepaths (white line down the middle, two-tone pavement) to the North and South of the carriageway for all three. Never been there so I don't know how good they are.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I agree - looking at Google Earth, there is definatly a cycle path on the pavement. If that 's what you want to do, there's a pelican crossing right outside the station. I suggest you use that and stay on the North side of the A534. There are crossings all around the first island, the second island won't be a problem and at the third island if there are no crossings at least the traffic lights will be interrupting the traffic flow. If it's busy with Friday traffic, you may find that you're the fastest thing on the road. Either way, it's a 30 and then a 40 limit. You'll be fine and you'll probably see other cyclists.
bumper

Post by bumper »

After leaving the station turn right at the 1st roundabout along Weston road.

That's the end of busy city traffic, you are now leaving Crewe.

You will then reach a small roundabout which you can turn left at and it'll bring you to the last large roundabout by the b5077 but if you go straight( 2nd exit ) at the small roundabout it'll bring you to another even smaller roundabout.

Take the first exit along old park road and it'll bring you directly onto the b5077 bypassing all of the main traffic :wink:

turn right Cycleway starts about half a mile further down the road near to Oakhanger .

saved a little map for you
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=58902
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Many thanks for your replies. Im really pleased to have asked you about this. Much better by bike isnt it!

Couldnt work out the cycle paths, as initially I thought they might of been bus routes. (Difficult to read the blown up images on my computer at work). But, yes, I think they are those shared pedestrian/cycle paths.

Bumper, so glad you pointed out another route that will join the one I am seeking out. I have changed my direction now, and using that. Looking at bikeroutetoaster later today in earnest as well to sort out a map.

I have just noticed that this direction joins in part of the Audax ride I am doing on the Sunday, so I think I shall retrace that route back to Congleton to have a wee look at at. (Is that cheating??) As I have all day on the Saturday to find my way around, I thought I might tackle part of teh Audax ride anyway to give me something constructive to do, other than spend all my time in the cycle shop there! :lol:

Cheers

Mary
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If you are stuck for something to do on Saturday pm you can always ride up to Holmes Chapel/Chelford and watch the nat championship 50 miler. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bumper

Post by bumper »

Glad it was of some help. If you walk from the train station, it's about 200 yards to the first roundabout and you can use the footpath to avoid going around it then get straight onto Weston Rd.

Enjoy the ride :wink: