Cycling with a catheter (male)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oxenholme

Cycling with a catheter (male)

Post by oxenholme »

Has anyone any experience of cycling with a catheter fitted? I am stuck with a narrow silicone catheter. Although riding the bike is not 100% comfortable it is not painful either, though I've only tried very short distances to the supermarket and back. Are any problems likely were I to try to ride say 40 or 50 miles?
gar

Re:Cycling with a catheter (male)

Post by gar »

Get a recumbent trike and then you won't have to think about whether you can or not. (assuming it is a long term problem)

Your plan sounds quite impossible otherwise, even for 10 metres.

The trike has a CHAIR not a saddle.

VARNA hand cycles of Vancouver do one but it is rather expensive £1500 inc p+p. That would be using your hands not your legs.
I am doing 30miles a day on mine now, even with a permanently broken leg.
Tim

Re:Cycling with a catheter (male)

Post by Tim »

Some saddles have a very cut-away centre and this may take enough pressure off. Also if the saddle is pointing down a bit - other adjustments may be needed to the riding position too (handlebare height and reach, etc). There are also some saddles with virtually no peak (almaost just a small bench - but I've no idea of names or sources. A recumbent may be better - but costs more and doesn't suit everyone.

Is there any general resource for cycling and health issues? Try phoning the CTC if you're a member.