Pashley Princess Options

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TP.

Re: Pashley Princess Options

Post by TP. »

My wife has had a Pashley Sovereign for 7 years or so. She loves it. It is well made, low maintenance and appealing to the eye. Compared to my Gazelle Impala it is not all that heavy either. After 7 years it still looks like new.
John Cycle

Post by John Cycle »

I bought this for my 17 year old daughter:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_231005

and she seems happy with it, also bought a basket for the front for the look, as you mention that is more important than how it rides etc...
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

Wow. I wish you were my dad... :shock:

I've just had a really "cardboard box on t'M1" moment.

Aw hell, buy her the Pashley. You know it's what she wants...
niggle

Post by niggle »

Hypocacculus wrote:Wow. I wish you were my dad... :shock:

I've just had a really "cardboard box on t'M1" moment.

Aw hell, buy her the Pashley. You know it's what she wants...

I know, it sounds a lot of money, but then again its only 12 months worth of travel on the bus, and she is doing A levels which will last two years and then is expected to go on to university. It is a lot safer than a scooter and we will not be buying her a car at any stage unlike some of her mates' parents. There is also a bit of recognition of how hard she has been working for her GCSEs and some promotion of healthy active transport, so all in all if it does the job its worth it IMO. We are by no means a wealthy family, below average income actually (and I was born in Yorkshire BTW).

She has had the same Appolo girls MTB for the last five years or so but now she certainly needs something better than that. The only real concern I have is that the Pashley will be too heavy and lacking in gear range for her to get over the hill to school, though some lowering of gears should be possible if necessary. Chap in local bicycle repair shop says they are overpriced, too heavy and not really suitable for Cornwall, suggested derailleur equipped Dawes from their Heritage range. Actually looking at the Halfords bike she would probably be happy with it but I seriously doubt the three speed hub will be adequate.
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

Sorry for teasing - I couldn't resist it. I think encouraging your daughter on to a bike is a great idea, I'm just envious.

A quick shufty shows that the 5 spd Sturmy Archer has a gear spread of 256% which is, apparently, good for hilly commuting, though I don't know for sure, I just read that somewhere - I think it also depends which model it is.

But ultimately, surely it all depends on how low the lowest gear is? As a teenage girl, on my old, steel, heavy step through with 3 Sturmey Archer gears, I pretty much went everywhere in second, first was most definitely for hills and rubbish for cycling on the flat. Third was for getting a move on down hill or when I was feeling energetic. There was a big spread, although I have no idea what the ratios were, but I found it perfectly OK. London is not as hilly as Cornwall, but neither is it all flat. More gears are nice, but not essential.

I think you could lower the gearing by fitting a smaller chain wheel, or a larger sprocket? http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4005

If you definitely want a roadster type, Gazelle seems to be a popular brand. I came across this website that sells second hand Dutch Roadsters - it might give you some ideas of alternative bikes, although I'm sure they are all pretty heavy.

http://www.amsterdammers.co.uk/ladies.htm

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Hypocacculus wrote:Sorry for teasing - I couldn't resist it. I think encouraging your daughter on to a bike is a great idea, I'm just envious.

A quick shufty shows that the 5 spd Sturmy Archer has a gear spread of 256% which is, apparently, good for hilly commuting, though I don't know for sure, I just read that somewhere - I think it also depends which model it is.

But ultimately, surely it all depends on how low the lowest gear is? As a teenage girl, on my old, steel, heavy step through with 3 Sturmey Archer gears, I pretty much went everywhere in second, first was most definitely for hills and rubbish for cycling on the flat. Third was for getting a move on down hill or when I was feeling energetic. There was a big spread, although I have no idea what the ratios were, but I found it perfectly OK. London is not as hilly as Cornwall, but neither is it all flat. More gears are nice, but not essential.

I think you could lower the gearing by fitting a smaller chain wheel, or a larger sprocket? http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4005

If you definitely want a roadster type, Gazelle seems to be a popular brand. I came across this website that sells second hand Dutch Roadsters - it might give you some ideas of alternative bikes, although I'm sure they are all pretty heavy.

http://www.amsterdammers.co.uk/ladies.htm

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Yes I am quite familiar with how to alter the overall gearing on hub gears, I lowered the gearing on my Carrera Subway 8 with Shimano 8 speed hub, I went the smaller chain wheel route because I did not like the OEM chain wheel, but usually swapping the rear sprocket is the cheapest option and quite easy to do.

I had a look at the Gazelles and other Dutch roadsters like Batavus but one issue is getting a small enough frame: my daughter is quite petite at about 5'2" (and has stayed at that size for a few years so not going to grow). Also they got the thumbs down on styling grounds unfortunately. Tonight she tried sitting on the Halfords one with 17" frame and that was spot on for size, but the Dutch bikes do not seem to go very small. With the Halfords bike I though quality was a bit off even for the price and its only a 3-speed.

I lived in the London area back in the 1908s and I don't remember a single hill, never mind anything like what what we have down here. Its only 3.3 miles from home to school, but its 344 feet total ascent according to Bikehike. However she is keen to get out on the bike over the summer hols and get fit so that should help. Looks like I don't have much choice in the matter really :roll:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Pashleys are well-made and British. I believe that there's a 5 gear version. They'll last a lifetime if looked after which isn't likely to be the case with cheaper alternatives. They also have a high resale value.
Or you can leave it to your grandchildren.
If you can afford it, if the cycling involved is not long-distance, and if the hills aren't too steep or long, try out a Pashley.
All the advice in the world doesn't compensate for getting on a bike and trying it out.
jonty
niggle

Post by niggle »

Jonty wrote:Pashleys are well-made and British. I believe that there's a 5 gear version. They'll last a lifetime if looked after which isn't likely to be the case with cheaper alternatives. They also have a high resale value.
Or you can leave it to your grandchildren.
If you can afford it, if the cycling involved is not long-distance, and if the hills aren't too steep or long, try out a Pashley.
All the advice in the world doesn't compensate for getting on a bike and trying it out.
jonty

Sort of things I am thinking, it should last and be easy for her look after if she moves away to college and if she gets bored with it or has no use for it later she should be able to sell it, possibly even to her mum!
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

As the OP, I'd just like to say that my mum went for a Giant bike in the end, not a Pashley. She liked the Pashley, but she was too worried about the weight and the cost. I can't remember which model Giant she now has, but it's nothing like the Pashley and what both I and her thought she would get: it has derailleurs, not skirt guard, etc. But it has lots of gears and is light.

The decision was made after doing some test rides. She just liked the Giant the most.

Your daughter's needs will be different to my mum's, but don't be surprised if she doesn't go with the obvious and gets something else that feels right for her.
niggle

Post by niggle »

mark a. wrote:As the OP, I'd just like to say that my mum went for a Giant bike in the end, not a Pashley. She liked the Pashley, but she was too worried about the weight and the cost. I can't remember which model Giant she now has, but it's nothing like the Pashley and what both I and her thought she would get: it has derailleurs, not skirt guard, etc. But it has lots of gears and is light.

The decision was made after doing some test rides. She just liked the Giant the most.

Your daughter's needs will be different to my mum's, but don't be surprised if she doesn't go with the obvious and gets something else that feels right for her.

She has made it very clear what she wants, right down to the colour, just need to find the best way to go about acquiring one as the nearest dealer listed on the website is 25 miles away.
niggle

Post by niggle »

We have finally decided against the Pashley but to buy my daughter a bike in the style she likes which actually has derailleur gears :shock: . I think for the little bit of on road use it will get, commuting to school and trips round the local area to visit her friends, the wear and servicing issues of a derailleur system will not be an issue, and the range of gearing will be an advantage. The bike is moderately priced and gives her a fair chance of making it over the hill to school without having to walk half of it IMO. Bike is a Dawes Duchess: Image
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Is a skirt guard required?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
niggle

Post by niggle »

Edwards wrote:Is a skirt guard required?

Probably not necessary, her skirts are somewhat short :roll:
essexman

Post by essexman »

niggle wrote:
Edwards wrote:Is a skirt guard required?

Probably not necessary, her skirts are somewhat short :roll:

:) ...they are called coat guards on mens bikes in Europe. I found them useful when wearing a long coat.....
I hate snow.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

niggle wrote: if she gets bored with it or has no use for it later she should be able to sell it, possibly even to her mum!

That sounds like the financial arrangements if this house.

The money is borrowed from The Bank Of Dad at a very favorable interest rate (nil). The repayments are defaulted on and when the item is sold the money is not used to pay of the overdraft. :x :roll:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar