Shimano A530 Pedals – Reflectors Question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
richardyorkshire

Re: Shimano A530 Pedals – Reflectors Question

Postby richardyorkshire » 25 Jun 2009, 8:09pm

I use Shimano SPD pedals, from memory I think they are the M540s. In any case, they are quite small and I don't see how it would be possible to fit reflectors to them. Although in the manual it reckons that reflectors are available, I haven't found anywhere that sells them.

I decided not to worry about it. If I'm cycling in darkness I have lights fore and aft, flourescent jacket, reflective ankle bands, reflective patches on the back of my shoes and a rear reflector. I don't think it would be possible for me to be any more visible.

If someone were to hit me, then try to argue they didn't see me because of the absence of two tiny mud-stained reflective amber bars beneath my feet, I would fall off my chair laughing - and then sue him for that too. I'd enter the court wearing my normal gear, with my bike suitable lit up, and insist they turn out the lights and draw the curtains to test the idea that I could not be seen. I think I'd win.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.

minkie

Postby minkie » 25 Jun 2009, 8:27pm

i like my A530s - not as elegant as some, but great if you sometimes don't wear cleats. They didn't come with reflectors - if they did I'd probably fit them, but I don't think they'd make me much safer.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 25 Jun 2009, 9:56pm

What's annoying is that the standards document specifying the pedal reflectors is not public domain.

If you point out that your shoes are part of the pedals and you have ankle reflectors to provide the required oscillating retroreflective surfaces. then most magistrates or judges should be willing to see that the spirit and intent of the law have been followed as closely as possible.

I want to see what they make of recumbents - the law states that pedal reflectors must be visible to both front and rear - I struggle to see how that can apply to bents
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

sxlalan

Postby sxlalan » 9 Sep 2009, 4:01pm

Just bought a pair of these from Ribble and they came with reflectors. The reflectors were in their own bag but were designed specifically for the A530. The part number was SM-PD61.

Cheers

Alan

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 9 Sep 2009, 9:02pm

I won these on the bay, the fact they had reflectors was a bonus I wasnt that fussed. Are these what you want? If so I have seen a few web sites selling them, try ebay???
I will reply in a couple of days as to their quality and usability. 8)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 14 Sep 2009, 1:47am

I think pedal reflectors are perhaps the best safety device for night time cycling after the rear light. Nothing else on the road looks even remotely like the up and down motion of pedal reflectors. They say cyclist unlike any other item. Flashing lights are hard to percieve distance and speed from, rear reflectors are just more red. I just wish they wrapped around to the side too! If you can get hold of them for your prefered pedal then I would go for them if you intend to do any riding in the dark.

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 14 Sep 2009, 1:38pm

Well I have had mine on 2 days now, circa 45 miles. They are superb. I have used them only once for just over 1 mile as standard platforms wearing training shoes and they felt strong safe and secure. Used with SPD shoes the reflectors cause no interference and you can clip in and out without even knowing they are there.
An extra bonus is that you always use the same side of the double sided peddle and will wear one side out at a time, then turn them over putting the reflectors the worn side giving new peddle and you cant accidentally clip into the worn side.

Neil F

Postby Neil F » 14 Sep 2009, 9:46pm

I have a pair for over a year now and they are very easy to use. They came with reflectors which I have fitted and use without any problem . Bought on e-bay from dhcyclesports in Southampton. Very good price.

mrbarry

Postby mrbarry » 16 Sep 2009, 11:21pm

Did around 55 miles over the last 2 days and still very happy with them, my shoes however are another matter. The threads in the left hand shoe simply pulled off the plate, one at a time unfortunately leaving me unable to get my left foot free and almost leaving me in a mess, lucky I was by a lamp post as I stopped!!! Thats Lidl shoes for you I guess!

Browser
Location: Crowland, South Lincs (out where missionaries fear to tread!)

Postby Browser » 1 Feb 2010, 1:28am

Hello, I was looking for info o nthese pedals, having just bought a pair, and Google threw up this thread as one of it's answers so I registered so I could answer.
Soprry if this comes too late for the OP and those who've answered butI've just bought a set of reflectors for the A530s here. Postage was free but they still cost £23.05, so if you didn't want to bother you'd be sane, unlike me who has just paid £23.05 for a set of pedal reflectors!!!!! Never mind, you're only here once!

Pete D

Postby Pete D » 1 Feb 2010, 1:53pm

Thanks, that's useful to know. Not sure if I'll get them. As you said it's quite steep for a set of reflectors - though that doesn't necessarily mean that I am agreeing that you're insane :D

Browser

Postby Browser » 1 Feb 2010, 3:42pm

Oh I don't know, most people do even though they've never met me! :lol:
I'm kinda hoping when they arrive they prove to be machined out of solid unobtanium, at least that would explain the cost!!

Chris_C

Postby Chris_C » 12 Feb 2010, 3:42pm

Hi Browser, have the reflectors arrived yet? I'm tempted to buy them, but I'd like to know that you got them safely first.

Browser

Postby Browser » 14 Feb 2010, 10:49am

Yessir, they have. First, an apology, postage wasn't free, that was due to a misunderstanding with the German-to-English translation on the web, so it cost me a further 9.90 euros. The company I dealt with were extremely friendly and efficient and I'd recommend them.
I was slightly disappointed when the items arrived to find they were fixed with anodised screws through an anodised steel plate, I was kinda expecting/hoping for stainless. Also, the screws are self-tappers and fix into the plastic housing of the reflector, whereas I'd have preferred a threaded steel insert.
That said, because they are a Shimano product and designed to fir these pedals they look very good thus far, nestling nicely onto the pedal and looking very much like they won't get in the way at all when using cleated shoes.
I haven't actually used them yet as I was waiting for payday before purchasing a set of shoes, but as this happens Monday I will be able to report on how I get on, both with the pedals and with being clipless for the first time (ulp!) :shock:
I can try and post some pics of the pedals with reflectors fitted if you wish?

Chris_C

Postby Chris_C » 15 Feb 2010, 6:40am

Cheers Browser. A photo would be very interesting: I can't quite imagine how they would attach safely and securely! Thanks for offering to do that.