Shimano A530 Pedals – Reflectors Question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pete D

Shimano A530 Pedals – Reflectors Question

Post by Pete D »

Hello everyone,

First post after lurking in the shadows for a while. After many years of riding with clips I’ve decided to take the plunge and try clipless. I’ve settled on the Shimano A530 pedals, but was wondering about the reflectors that you can put on them (part SM-PD61). Not that I think that pedal reflectors make a huge difference to safety, especially when most of my riding is done on well-lit urban roads, but if I do get hit by a car I don’t want the lack of any pedal reflectors to be picked up and used as contributory negligence. I’ve got two questions:

Firstly, after looking at the technical specifications diagram on the Shimano website it appears to me that the reflectors ‘sit up’ quite high on the side where you engage your cleats and therefore would be a bit of a hindrance on this side of the pedal. So, I was looking for reassurances from anyone who does own any of these pedals that this is not the case.

My second question is do the pedals actually come with the reflectors when you buy them? And if not, does anyone have any idea of where you can buy them? I took a look on the SJS Cycles website and they appear to have the reflectors for other pedals, but not the A530s.

Any answers to the above two posts would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
pigman

Re: Shimano A530 Pedals – Reflectors Question

Post by pigman »

which are the A530's? I bought some of the cheapest shimano SPD pedals (the narrow double sided ones) which came with clip in reflectors. So the underside has the reflector attached and the top side your foot is attached. If this is what you want, let me know, you can have them as I dont need them.
byegad

Post by byegad »

SJS Cycles sell bolt on pedal reflectors.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I have the A530s - I bought them from Ribble late last year. They came with the reflectors included, and I've had no problems with them getting in the way.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

AndyB: Thanks for that. I've contacted Ribble and they've told me that they don't come with any reflectors. You must have got in there just in time! However, it's still good to know that when they do exist they don't get in the way.

Byegad: Cheers, I'll get in touch with SJS and see if the ones they sell will fit the A530s, as they appeared to be slightly different to the ones Shimano recommend.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm surprised they don't include them, actually, I'd want the person saying that to have looked in the box and checked. In my case they were included but not fitted. The reason I'd be surprised is that they appear to be a specific fitting: a shaped plate slots on to the flat side of the pedal, and you screw bolts through the plastic reflector section (on the spd side) into this. Since the plate is shaped for these pedals only, why do them separately? Anyway, hope you get it sorted.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Good point about getting the person to look in the box. I think the best thing is to pop in to my LBS and see if they can open a box up for me. By the way, how do you find the pedals?

Pigman: Thanks for the offer of your redundant clip in reflectors, but I think they probably won't work bearing in mind what AndyB's said.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Pete D wrote:Good point about getting the person to look in the box. I think the best thing is to pop in to my LBS and see if they can open a box up for me. By the way, how do you find the pedals?

I like them, but if you can get a test from your LBS it might be worth trying them with normal shoes. Most of my use is with SPDs, and they're fine for that - I have no bother getting the right side (after a bit of use they always rotate to the same position). With normal shoes/sandals, they're okay too, although they feel a little slippery to me. I'd guess this is due to the design of the pedal, but it's not a problem - I just can't ride like I do with cleats. One thing to note is that the grips are less prominent when the reflectors are fitted. For my use however - 90% SPDs, 10% short journeys in normal shoes they're excellent.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Sounds like a good review, Andy. To be honest, I'll be predominantly using the SPD side myself, so the lack of grip on the other side won't be too much of a problem.

Now I just need to get down to the LBS, check they come with the reflectors, buy them and practice unclipping until I'm 100% sure that I won't have any embarassing falls in front of the local scallies.

Thanks for your comments.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Just to give an update on this, I've now rung 10 different bike shops, all of whom have looked in their boxes to inform me that the A530 pedals don't come with reflectors. Not only this, but none of them sell the reflectors, and Madison (who import Shimano equipment) don't import them either. Which all seems rather bizarre.

So I either stick to my toeclips, switch to the (heavier) M324s or buy the A530s anyway and hope that if I do get knocked off I don't get hammered for not having any reflectors on my bike. It hardly seems an ideal situation, though.
johncharles

Post by johncharles »

I really don't feel you have to worry about not having reflectors on your pedals.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I really don't feel you have to worry about not having reflectors on your pedals.

You're probably right, I've got two lights front and back and the only riding I tend to do in the dark is on well-lit urban streets in and around Liverpool (please, no comments from anyone piping up that I should be more worried about having my wheels nicked when stopped at the traffic lights). But I've read that it could be used to apportion some blame to you if you did come a cropper from an accident. I suppose I could always keep the old pedals and swap them back when the nights draw in anyway.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Pete D wrote:

My second question is do the pedals actually come with the reflectors when you buy them? And if not, does anyone have any idea of where you can buy them?
Pete

I have these pedals and they did not have reflectors (I just wanted to be road legal at night). I tried to get them and could not. E-mailed the distributor and was told the parts are not available in the UK (this was about a year ago). Seems to me that most of these products are mis-sold if you can't get them. The whole issue of clipless and pedal reflectors is a whole new debate.........
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
jochta

Post by jochta »

Why not get some sticky reflector tape and use that? Might not last long or be as elegant but it'll probably make them UK street legal.

John
michael Bloxham

Post by michael Bloxham »

I got a pair from dhccyclesport off e bay which fit and work well, I also have two pairs of the previous version of the pedal which I have fitted normal relectors to. If you find a source please publish it as I need a second set for my 4th bike.