Fixies - why SO expensive

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
quiksilver

Re: Fixies - why SO expensive

Post by quiksilver »

Those thing are a deathtrap, also cheap and nasty too.
random37

Post by random37 »

That's easily been at the special offer price for a year!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I agree with the OP in that for a bike with only one gear and often very little in the way of other stuff' too,they do seem stupidly expensive.

But when you are stood beside a Condor Tempo or Pearson Touche at a show and see how good they look, you can almost forgive them!

The price is driven basically by market forces. Just the same as cars or anything else. Hey Ho.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

quiksilver wrote:Those thing are a deathtrap, also cheap and nasty too.

So are most of the bikes in Halfords or supermarkets, but people still buy them. You don't get quality at low prices.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Giles, as ever, quite correct.

Though "some" of Halfords bikes are OK.

Though the Boardman' road bike (the £650.00 model), has had rave reviews, it seemed unduly heavy to me when I hefted' it.

Can't please everybody eh? :D
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Well, we're talking about the sub £100 price bracket here. Boardman (Chris, not Stan :lol:) bikes and some of the more expensive bikes in Halfords are fine, just so long as you are aware that the gears probably won't be set up correctly.

The deathtraps at Halfords are the cheap steel full suspension bikes with the catapult rear shock and the bed spring front suspension. These things should be banned as there is bound to be someone out there who will attempt to do downhill mountain biking on them.

It's amazing how someone can produce a bike for £70 when I've just paid £100 for a hub! The ball bearings must be plastic and the frame made from old baked bean tins.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

There is an LBS near me that actually uses one of these £69.99 full sus' mountain bikes in it's window as an advert. The bike is new or newish' but pretty well mangled. The wording goes something like "If you buy a bike like this,it may last six months if you are lucky,it will be horrible to ride,cause you trouble and be a complete waste of money. It is not worth it! Come inside and look at our bikes instead. Be prepared to spend a bit more,you won't be sorry!"

It makes sense to me.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

On Evans the cheapest fixed is nearly £400! - Fully derailleured bikes are cheaper

a fully deraileured bike cheaper than £400 is not only cheap but cheap and nasty.

do you not understand that better quality stuff actually has higher production cost?

do all of you lot seriously begrudge paying over four hundred pounds for something that supposedly brings you a lot of pleasure to use? (this is a cyclists forum isn't it?)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

gilesjuk wrote:It's amazing how someone can produce a bike for £70 when I've just paid £100 for a hub! The ball bearings must be plastic and the frame made from old baked bean tins.

The last child's bike I bought, made by Raleigh* had pedals with plain bushes (no ball bearings at all) and plastic bearing cups in the front hub. I wasn't that bothered because I built new wheels for it anyway - the main objective was to get a frame with 110mm rear spacing and no silly suspension.

*i.e. subcontracted to a slave camp somewhere in a Far Eastern totalitarian state.