Best route across the Pennines?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Chris_C

Best route across the Pennines?

Post by Chris_C »

What would everyone recommend as the best fairly direct route across the Pennines from Manchester to Leeds (and back)?

The Trans Pennine Trail adds an extra 40 miles by swinging south, and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal does much the same by swinging north (and though flat, it sounds like the towpath is probably a bit rough for my hybrid). So it'll have to be roads I suppose. I'm quite happy with steady uphill, but I'd like to avoid really busy roads if possible. Any suggestions gratefully received.
thirdcrank

Re: Best route across the Pennines?

Post by thirdcrank »

You are not going to get direct traffic free but have a look at

A 62 Gelderd Road out of Leeds (if you are unfamiliar with Leeds say what your departure point is and I'll give more detail.)
A643 At Birstall (turning right)
A 640 to Manchester. It's donkey's years since I rode beyond Saddleworth Moor so I'm not much good at that end.

I live at Gildersome which is on the A 62 leaving Leeds. I've ridden all the above roads in recent years with no problems although they are all main roads there is little dual carriageway. A lot of the traffic is taken by the neaby M 62, although if there is a problem on the motorway, the Trafficmaster etc diverts traffic onto these roads.

The alternatives mean staying on the A 62 all the way to Manchester or leaving the A 62 at Huddersfield then and going over Holme Moss which is a bit steepish and the route through Tintwistle into Manchester is grim I suppose what puts me off recommending the A 62 all the way is Huddersfield Ring Road. I've managed it OK but I'd be slow to recommend it to a stranger.

========================================================

I've been thinking about this and I think the A 58 Whitehall Road is a slightly better way out of Leeds. The imprortant thing is to avoid the Chain Bar roundabout (jct with M62, M606 etc) So, after the A58 roundabout jct with the A 651 (fire brigade HQ on your right) you drop down, crossing the M62 by bridge. The next buit-up bit is Hunsworth. At the traffic lights in Hunsworth turn left down the B6121 Hunsworth Lane. Cross the A 638 at the traffic lights onto Whitechapel Road. A bit of a drag up to the T jct with the B6120 Whitechapel Lane. Recross the M62 by bridge. Turn left in Whitechapel, where the B 6120 becomes Scholes Lane. At the jct with the A 649 it's a right left jiggle to join the A 643 then you are back on my original suggestion.

If the sort of route I've suggested, almost exclusively on A roads doesn't suit you, I think you are back to the TPT etc because nearly all the transpennine roads are A class. If it does suit you, don't hesitate to ask.
delilah

Post by delilah »

Hi Chris
I avoid Leeds like the plague when going North from Oldham so i can only help as far as Huddersfield.
You have 3 choices all starting from one of the Saddleworth villages (4 miles from Oldham)

1. A635 from Greenfield into Holmfirth and on to Hudddesfield. A very pleasamt climb on a quiet road. Nice if the weather is fine . Goes over Saddleworth Moor and is known locally as the Isle of Skye road.

2. A62 from Uppermill, (less than 1 mile from Greenfield) to Marsden and onto Huddersfield. Not as steep a climb probably a bit more traffic but still very quiet and a good valley route into Huddersfield

3. My favourite but a little less direct and with hardly any traffic is the A640 from Denshaw over to Hudddersfield. You can drop down into Marsden from the top and rejoin the A62 if you wish or just carry straight on.

Make your choice according to the weather and how much time you've got
DAz
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

Thanks both. Looks like a definite recommendation for the A640. I've plotted the various routes on bikehike, and I'll think I'll go for the A640 over the moors, then the A643 and then thirdcrank's route to the A58. That suits me quite well because I'm headed for Headingley, and thought I might head off at Gildersome on the back roads to Kirkstall.

I quite fancy the look of the A635 over Holme Moss too, dropping down to the A62 (I'd probably stop in Hudds city centre for a cup of tea rather than negotiating the ring road). I might keep that option in reserve if the weather's good.

Cheers
Chris
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you do use the A 58 I'd reiterate what I said about Chain Bar. This is now a big traffic-light controlled gyratory where every set of lights operates a bit like a Formula 1 grid. I've no doubt there are local cyclists who can cope with it, and some may take a pride in doing so but it was not designed with cyclists in mind.

If your destination is Headingley I'd agree with turning off the A58 Whitehall Road left at the traffic lights near Gildersome - the Moorcock Pub. The road is Back Lane (unclass) At the next jct turn right on Tong Lane which eventually becomes B 6154 Tong Road. Once you have crossed the A 6110 Ring Road (traffic lights) look out for Albany Street on your left (just past the speed camera, on the bus lane) At the end of Albany Street, Right along Whingate Road, ahead at the cross roads onto Wortley Road. Next junction (modern Christadelphian Church in front of you) is a right left jiggle but you want across onto Armley Ridge Road. Across A 647 Stanningley Road at the traffic lights and continue on Armley Ridge Road. (Downhill, with Gott's Park on your right.) Turn right at T junction (still called Armley Ridge Road, eventually becoming Wyther Lane after the bridge over the canal. Right at the traffic lights (Broad Lane) and right again at the second lights B6157 Bridge Road. Straight ahead through 2(?) sets of lights still on B 6157 Kirkstall Lane, to Headingley.

If you want a bit of Headingley nearer the city centre, stay on Tong Road until you reach Wesley Road on your left (just after the next speed camera - if you reach the pelican crossing at Strawberry Lane you have gone too far.) At end of Wesley Road (Yorkshire Bank on your left, cross to Branch Road (one-way street.) At traffic lights cross A 647 Armley Road onto Canal Road eventually Viaduct Road. Cross A 65 Kirkstall Road at the lights onto Willow Road. Straight across at the next lights into Cardigan Road which takes you into Headingley from the other end.

Not as complicated as it may sound and it has the advantage of avoiding the Armley Gyratory.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

That's really useful, thanks. It's the north end of Headingley that I'm headed for, so I'll follow your directions via Armley Ridge Road. Heading that way the weekend after next; will let you know how I get on.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I hope you enjoy your ride. In other circumstances I'd have offered to pilot you for the bit through Leeds but I'm immobilesed at the moment - which at leat means I have endless time available to type directions.