Dawes Kara-Kum

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fred Armour

Dawes Kara-Kum

Postby Fred Armour » 8 Aug 2009, 10:13pm

Could anyone give me some advice on the Dawes Kara-kum ladies touring bike? My wife is looking for a new bike at present,and it looks quite good. The gearing is the same as is on my ridgeback panorama ie 48-36-26 front and 11-32 cassette, which I find to be more than adequate for touring.
I would appreciate feed back from anyone with experience on this bike, good or bad
many thanks

Cunobelin

Re: Dawes Kara-Kum

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Aug 2009, 8:21am

About 5 years ago my wife wanted a touring bike, and we settled on a KaraKum

A nice piece of kit that did the job on all sorts of terrain from canal paths to roads, carries loads in a stable and solid way and is simply suited to the task.

There is a downside however.
The butterfly bars are an acquired taste, although my wife got on wth them well, and the adjustabilty is good.
As an "expedition" bike it is heavier than some other options, but is not a slouch though

Overall I would certainly buy another one, and would have absolutely no qualms about reccomending the machine with the normal proviso about riding one and ensuring the geometry fits personally.

joegallus

Postby joegallus » 19 Sep 2009, 5:50pm

Hi There - I have just bought one (on Thursday) - 2009 bike £637. I am a bit of a novice to all this and I have found the butterfly bars to be a bit wierd - but I am getting into them. I guess it will take a bit of time for me to get used to the set up. Plenty of scope for altering settings and i am sure when it settles it will be like I have never riden anything else. The bike has a sturdy feel to it - the kit all seems to be good quality and i think it will be good for my planned (easyish) touring. The only downside I have had was the service from Evans - but that is in the past. Thus far I am happy with the choice ande am sure it wil be more suited to me than a drop bar bike.

good luck!

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 20 Sep 2009, 8:57am

I got my Dawes Kara-Kum about 5 years ago and have been pleased with it in that time. However it did not have any butterfly bars on, only straight bars. I did later add the butterfly bars, but after a few trial runs, I decided to replace them with the straight bars.

For cycle-camping touring, the Kara-Kum fits the job, holds the weight very good and the low riders do help to even the load. I have recently upgraded the tyres to the Schwalble Cross Marathron's and the mudguards are now the SKS P50 which are nice and wide to accomodate the tyres.

The gearing I've found, fits my requirement's for touring and have never let me down as yet.

The Kara-Kum is a nice classy bike and one I can recommmend for the price.

joegallus

Postby joegallus » 3 Oct 2009, 2:39pm

Hi - I have just read somewhere that 32 hole wheels are not up to the job of carrying touring loads! I weigh in at around 90kgs and I expect to carry about 20kgs of kit. Have any of you carried touring loads on the 32 hole wheeels? Was it OK?