Eurostar

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
france tourer

Eurostar

Post by france tourer »

i sent my bike back from lille to waterloo on sat 11/09/2004(24HR DELIVERY SERVICE) and when i got to waterloo on the sunday no one new where it was.i phoned on the monday and was told it was at ashford in the managers office.it finally arrived at waterloo 72hours late and with about £75 worth of gear missing have i got a case for a claim
Jon

Re:Eurostar

Post by Jon »

I would have hoped so, but read the small print...
mbadmin

Post by mbadmin »

Hi France Tourer,

Sorry to hear about this problem. I don't know precisely what the T&Cs are for this service but I suspect that there must be insurance/compensation element in there somewhere. Otherwise you would see big notices everywhere in the consignment offices saying " . . . at your own risk" . . . . in which case nobody would touch the service with a bargepole.

I find it quite amusing/sad that it is highly probable that your bike was loaded in a lorry to do the journey . . . the bikes do not travel on the Eurostar itself !!
John S

Post by John S »

Bikes *can* be carried on Eurostar provided they're in a bag and within the luggage size specifications. I've done it several times. The rules are the same for the TGVs (except some of them also carry undismantled bikes).
hop

Post by hop »

>Bikes *can* be carried on Eurostar provided they're in a bag and within the luggage size specifications

what specifications are these?
Luke

Post by Luke »

TGV (and also Eurostar) quote 120cm x 90cm as the max size the luggage racks can hold (largest 2 dimensions).

TGVs and Eurostars are almost the same inside.

I've tried it and there is no problem - at Waterloo the bags are inspected manually as the x-ray machines are too small. In Paris, the machines are larger and bags the above size should fit.

The privately-run rail information website www.seat61.com has some further info - put "bicycle" into the search facility.
france tourer

Post by france tourer »

It is now six weeks later and eurostar have said it is nothing to do with them i need to contact espirit europe.I contacted espirit europe who told me the bike was carried on eurostar and the gear was lost on eurostar.
As espirit europe are eurostars registered baggage carriers (this is on eurostars website)i went back to eurostar who told me again that thier will not deal with it and to stop e-mailing them. Where do i go from here .
THIS TIME I AM NOT GIVING UP
mbadmin

Post by mbadmin »

Hi Francetourer,

It sounds like you handed your bike over to Esprit Europe at the consignment desk. You paid them the money for a service. Your contract is with them & I'm pretty sure that they must indemnify you for your loss. Eurostar are right in that you must claim from Esprit Europe. Beyond that the two companies can fight it out between each other who was finally responsible - but do not let EE use that as an excuse to delay.

To get some more experienced advice I would suggest registering on The Motley Fool www.fool.co.uk and asking on the Legal Advice message board.