Cycling in Varifocals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fatboy

Cycling in Varifocals

Post by fatboy »

I currently use one pair of glasses for driving, watching TV, (sometimes) cycling and one pair for reading plus a clip-on/flap sunglasses thingy. I am pondering a pair of varifocal glasses but I wondered if this might cause issues with cycling - the difference in prescription is relatively small (I'm early 40s so my reading specs are not too powerful). I am also considering the glasses to be reactolite; are these any good?

Any advice, thoughts etc appreciated.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
York Commuter

Re: Cycling in Varifocals

Post by York Commuter »

Hi Fatboy

I'm in a very similar position to you.

I'd been wearing glasses for slight short sight and astigmatism for about 20 years (I think my uncorrected vision would have passed a driving test - but I'm not so sure now)

Three years ago I had to hve my first varifocals, like you the lower half for eading as my eyes were taking too long to adjust when looking at my watch or looking up from reading.

I never even thought about any problems with varifocals and cycling - I just got on with it, just as I do when driving.

As to reactolite - I can't comment, I had some when I was in my earlyt 20s, but never really got on with them, I prefer to have prescription sunglasses - I presume it to be a personal thing.

regards

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

No problems here cycling wearing varifocals apart from the fact that whilst riding, my computer's actually at the worst possible distance from my eyes :lol:

That's not actually a problem, btw. It's just what is.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I cycle in Varifocals without problems. One advantage of them is that you can read the cafe menu when you stop for a cuppa, which I can't if i'm wearing my contact lenses.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Varifocals are probably a good idea. I'm similar age to you so starting to get 'loss of accomodation' and I know that if I wear my distance glasses it can be a strain to read a map on my bar bag.
I'd avoid reactolight because they are fine as sunglasses but never go completely clear, which doesn't look very nice. Go for separate prescription sunglasses instead!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try and get a buy one pair get one free deal with one set sunnies and one set clear.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

before you buy see this
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/17/3 ... ocal-trial
I bought my pair from them from day one they were just great
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

numbnuts wrote:before you buy see this

Almost certainly who I go with. I'll see what the best thing that they've got going when I've worked out how to pay for this......
mike

Post by mike »

I've have been cycling in varifocals for years now and have never had any problems. The pair I normally wear are clear. But I have also used another pair which are reactolite and find them good in the sun, though the wife made me get a 'modern narrow pair' and going down hill or when its windy the wind gets behind them and makes my eyes water, hence I don't geneally cycle in them.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The only problem I had was size!

I use Rudy Project Ketyum glasses with inserts and when I wanted to upgrade to varifocals I had problems as there is a minimum size that you can make varifocal lenses. Eventually sorted through SpecSavers, but they wouldn't do them as one of my pairs.
PW

Post by PW »

Some people can wear Varifocals, some can't. I wear them all the time. Reactolites aren't good for driving. They tend to set themselves to the light level inside the vehicle, not outside where you want to look. I'm not supposed to wear them when driving a bus so I never bought any. Likewise Polaroid lenses show the stress patterns in a vehicle windscreen, rather than look through them. Excellent otherwise but not for driving.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
yoyo

Post by yoyo »

I cycle in varifocals with no difficulty and I use clip on polaroid sunglasses.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

numbnuts wrote:before you buy see this

Another question......did you get standard varifocals or go for premium or elite lens? Just wondered whether the standard ones are fine and what reasons there would be for either going for the cheapest option or forking out extra.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I use varifocals with no problem
I have a separate pair of varifocal polaroids which were very expensive but which I seldom use. I just don't like the darkness of sunglasses
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I started to wear glasses for the first time 2 years ago and was started off with varifocals. I confess I found them very strange to get used to at first and reading in bed is a bit of a pain (I can no longer snuggle down under the duvet and read lying on my side as I used to, have to sit up more). At first the bike was quite strange and I did not ride in them initially, I could see well enough without and got used to them for everyday use before using them on the bike.

I now use them on the bike except in wet weather (so quite a lot at the moment). Have no problem.
No comment on reactolites but got my "free" pair made up in tinted glass and paid £15 extra for this so, I can wear them in sunny conditions.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells