Bike Insurance - for vintage bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fat Boy Riding

Bike Insurance - for vintage bikes

Post by Fat Boy Riding »

Help folks...........please

I've now got 3 Alan bikes plus an old 531 steel which is over 30 years old, the oldest Alan is an '82, Campag record throughout with velocity wheels, '93 actually six months old bought and built in April on a never before built frame with Campag Titanium Record with Mavic CD rims which has cost me over £1,200 to build and a '97 7005 Aluminium time trial also Campag record with Bora wheels need I say more about the value of this one. But do you think I can find insurance???? Every insurance company I've spoken to won't touch these because of the stated age of the manufacture.

Can anyone help me here please

Many thanks
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bike Insurance - for vintage bikes

Post by Mick F »

Similar problem.

I enquired a few years ago about my bike. It seems that insurance companies only will take risks with known products. As soon as you specify something old/vintage/unusual they don't want to know.

They all have their price, though. Pay enough and you can insure anything. If it means that much to you, shop around, but I'm willing to bet that the premiums will be prohibitive.

We tried insuring our parrot. Ridiculous costs! We could buy a new parrot every few years for the premiums!
Mick F. Cornwall
random37

Post by random37 »

To be honest, I wouldn't bother.

I know how daft this sounds, but an aincient road bike is just not that attractive to a thief. If you parked a Hetchins next to a shiny £100 mountain bike, the chances are the cheap one would get taken first.

Two good locks are the best option there is.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I think the best thing to do is just find the most comprehensive contents cover you can - I'm with M&S and it's a simple 'everything insured at home and away from home' only have to list items with a replacement value in excess of £4k. It's pricey, but given all the hoops and small print you fight against with the majority of providers, probably well worth it. Additionally I've heard of several cases (anecdotally via online forums) of trouble free payouts in the event of theft from M&S.