Aching wrist

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlanD

Aching wrist

Post by AlanD »

For ages now I have had an aching left wrist. I think that jarring from the roads has not been helping and up to now my only 'remedy' has been to take vast quantities of Ibuprofen. Well last weekend, my girlfriend persuaded me to buy a bracelet with magnets in it, looks quite stylish. My skepticism is taking a knocking because now on the 4th day of wearing it, my wrist is feeling noticably better and I rode in today with no ill effects. So is it working, or is this all in my head? And if it was caused by bumpy roads, do I not get it in my right wrist because that's where I wear my wristwatch with a metal wristband?

Does anybody else wear these?
gilesjuk

Re: Aching wrist

Post by gilesjuk »

What's the crackpot science behind the magnets then? I know blood has iron content, but it seems a bit crazy that they would have an effect.

Have you tried an ordinary bracelet on that arm? it's more likely some effect of having a bracelet on. Perhaps it keeps your wrist warm or provides a small amount of support.
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

A quick search of PubMed found this systematic review of the use of static magnets for reducing pain. It analysed nine randomised placebo-controlled trials of magnet therapy and found no significant difference in pain reduction between placebo and the magnets.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1789 ... d_RVDocSum

Also, from my understanding of biology, there is no plausible mechanism by which magnets could reduce pain.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

I used to get wrist pain in my right wrist (I'm right handed) and traced the cause to the mouse I used at work. It was too small and meant that I was holding it with my fingertips and steering it using my wrist, rather than moving my arm. I replaced it with a much larger mouse which I rest my whole hand upon and move it by moving my arm. The wrist pain disappeared. The modern office is a common cause of niggling pains in wrist, arms and legs.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
jevans

Post by jevans »

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the placebo effect is still an effect!
paulah

Post by paulah »

richardyorkshire wrote:I used to get wrist pain in my right wrist (I'm right handed) and traced the cause to the mouse I used at work. It was too small and meant that I was holding it with my fingertips and steering it using my wrist, rather than moving my arm. I replaced it with a much larger mouse which I rest my whole hand upon and move it by moving my arm. The wrist pain disappeared. The modern office is a common cause of niggling pains in wrist, arms and legs.

pretty similar here - left hand, arm and shoulder affected (I'm left handed) changed to a large trackball mouse (where your fingers move a ball on top of the mouse instead of moving the mouse), now much improved
There shall be only one pannier
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

Those suffering from some of these aches might try Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamin, these kinds of supplements. I know there have been a few of these "numb" hands threads out so I brought this up on a search as I could not find the last one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My left wrist and hand aches after 30 or 40 miles.

I thought is was something to do with my hand or arm or wrist. I use Gloucosamine but it hasn't helped, and I've come to the conclusion that it's to do with a trapped nerve in my shoulder or spine.

So what. It goes numb from time-to-time as I always has. 30 or 40 odd years worth of cycling. I've got used to it and can cope. I just dangle my arm for a few seconds, and all is ok for an hour or two, then I repeat.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

My Mrs bought me one of these gadgets for a wrist strain. It didn't work.
Glucosamine is alleged to be placebo only, but if I stop taking that my knees let me know about it pretty smartly.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I suppose something sensical like more padding, higher/closer bars and a more relaxed position would reduce testosterone levels to almost nil?.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Alan while the level of science and understanding that is available these days would seem to be that these things do not work.
If it works for you and many other people why should you worry, the pain is not there. If it does you good then use the bracelet.
After all it was not that long ago that they used to drill holes in peoples heads and use Leaches.
Even in my lifetime some poor soles had electric shock using the latest treatment as was understood then. Now no longer used.

There are still many things that the level of science to do with medicine that is not properly understood and in the future will change because of the level of understanding available.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Alan while the level of science and understanding that is available these days would seem to be that these things do not work.
If it works for you and many other people why should you worry, the pain is not there. If it does you good then use the bracelet.
After all it was not that long ago that they used to drill holes in peoples heads and use Leaches.
Even in my lifetime some poor soles had electric shock using the latest treatment as was understood then. Now no longer used.

There are still many things that the level of science to do with medicine that is not properly understood and in the future will change because of the level of understanding available.
Keith Edwards
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Ditch the new age nonsense and put the mouse back in the house ;)

Seriously though, it'll probably heal on its own over time, in the meantime treat with compression, nsaids, ice, etc, and failing that then prevention is the answer - anti jolting bars/grips? Different hand positions?
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Oh and leeches and maggots do actually do stuff!
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Nutsey do you also recommend blood letting and electric shock.

Medical science does not know everything, the best example is the changing advice about Aspirin. In future years some of the things that years ago would have been called witchcraft or magic will be common place. As anesthetics are now.
Keith Edwards