Netbooks for Navigation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lordbarton

Netbooks for Navigation

Post by lordbarton »

Does anybody know if you can install Memory Map and or Garmin City Navigator on a Netbook and actually use it to upload routes on to their GPS. I would like to take a Netbook on tours to plan routes etc but am concerned that it will not be powerful enough to run the software.
CW

Re: Netbooks for Navigation

Post by CW »

Hi

I use a Samsung NC10 with Tracklogs and Anquet mappings and they work well. I download/upload routes to/from a Garmin Etrex Legend.
I have never had any problems using the NC10.
Chris
grim

Post by grim »

I use memory map and a garmin etrex h on my asus net book. No probs.

Graham
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

i've a samsung nc10 with tracklogs, memory map and garmin city select 7 running with no problems using it with a vista hcx.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

re netbooks - many gps apps only run on XP. Some maps are DVD based so you will need HDD and to run virtual disc. Havent used MM - seems to be a memory hog (NZ is 7gb) as is raster map, Garmins CN for all europe is 1.3gb - add maybe 1 gb for 20 m contours. Battery life on netbooks will be less of a problem when v low current chips come out (year end I think), but there are models sold in the Far East now claiming 10 hour battery life for 200 US, I never get anything like manufacters claimed life - wifi, skype, downloads...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Why bother?

There are a lot of sites such as Open Cycle Map or Bike Hike that allow you to plan in as great (often greater) detail than memory map simply for the cost of the data.

You don't need to waste the hard drive space on maps, and also you don't fall victim of the OS driven need to buy everything again in two years wben they upgrade the software and you need to run the program in triplicate!

To use my maps I now run three different versions of Memory-map and still cannot update any map.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

netbook on tour - a problem with website based maps is that wifi download speeds (from cafes, backpackers) may be too slow to download graphics. Sure Google maps work great in UK - but in SE Asia, and where I am now - Australia - the site will fall over. Short battery life can be a problem but Intel is bringing out low current chipset (year end?). Often there are no power points or dont have the right plug adaptor or th e cafe wont let you use them....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PowerGorilla although the Solar Power version is perhaps not somethingto rely on in the UK!
grim

Post by grim »

My asus netbook lasts 8.5 hours according to manufacturer. i'm not daft enough to belive that but it does last quite a while and is the reason I went for that model as most netbooks are a similar spec.

Graham.