Rear mudguard LED

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Velorum

Rear mudguard LED

Post by Velorum »

Apologies if this is a daft question but here goes......

Is there an LED unit available that bolts on to rear mudguards in place of standard reflectors?

All I can find on the net are Busch & Muller dyno standlight types not straight forward battery units.

Cheers
Ian
Cunobelin

Re: Rear mudguard LED

Post by Cunobelin »

The only ones I know of are made by JOS , the SPX series. However I do not know of a UK supplier.Several shops do Jos lighting (St John Street included) and may order one for you.

Other options include any light mounted to a mudguard with a fixing bolt such as the Cateye Au100, or similar.

Do bear in mind though that any battery operated rear light will be heavier than one powered by a dynamo and take this into account. A double stay mudguard is essential to prevent movement under the weight.
grim

Post by grim »

I have bolted a blackburn mars led on the back of my mudguard in place of the dynamo light fitted.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

I have three lights, one on the guard (a CateyeTL-AU100 REAR LIGHT, that's a link to the distributors site, click on the following for a dealer locator), rear rack and rear mech, the latter two I have pointing directly backwards.

Note that the guard led is the wrong way up, but I am less sensitive to the fact that the LEDs are directional in this lamp than I am with others, this is because some of the leds in that lamp are large and long so even though they point in the wrong direction you can see a bright red glow from directly behind, the first picture below was taken in my darkened hallway, I took it from an even lower angle than any motorist would ever be, not a great picture for sure but the lamp is bright, the one next to it taken from a higher angle, no higher than an one in a car or lorry would be though.

Low angle view Image Image View from a higher angle

I did the same experiment when I fitted the lamp initially with it up set up like this and the other way up, I stood at various distances to see what differences I could see, with three lamps as they are I get a good coverage on my commute, part of which is on a busy road with HGV vechicles. Would echo what 'Cunobelin' referred to, would suggest use with a mudguards that are strtong enough to take the weight of an led.

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Velorum

Post by Velorum »

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think that I will go for a Cateye to bolt onto the guard.

Cheers
Ian
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

The Smart 7 will, after removing all the clips that come with it and drilling an appropriate hole, fit perfectly (the bolt head sits snugly behind the electrical gubbins and doesn't affect operation). It is narrowwer than the mudguard, so less chance of it getting snagged and damaged.
backwinds forever.....
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've fitted Smart TL360 lights to all three of my bikes.
They're marketed as mudguard fitting, (you just replace the rear reflector with it).
Got mine from SJSC but can't find them listed on their website at the minute.
I know they used to claim that they were the sole provider but I'm sure they're available elsewhere but can't find them at the moment. Sorry, but I hope you have better luck.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Cunobelin wrote:The only ones I know of are made by JOS , the SPX series. However I do not know of a UK supplier.Several shops do Jos lighting (St John Street included) and may order one for you.

Following a positive review from Chris Juden, I bought one of these, the SPX B direct from Jos International several years ago. Service/delivery was fine. Light is a good little unit, although with swapping bikes etc it's only recently back in service - used tonight in fact.

It's used along with a somewhat larger B&M Toplight though....

http://www.jos-international.com