does anyone remember Westland bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
neilob

does anyone remember Westland bikes?

Post by neilob »

I was talking to a friend last night about my first proper bike in 1966 - it was a road/touring 531 Westland. It was second hand (paid for by a Xmas post round!!) and the previous owner told me it was made by a guy called Sid West in, I think, Exmouth. Eventually I also got a track model as well. Does anyone remember the marque? Or is it something that has dropped into obscurity?
Neil
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
mw3230

Re: does anyone remember Westland bikes?

Post by mw3230 »

I remember their helicopters!
Retired and loving it
Jrm250911

Post by Jrm250911 »

Hi there, my dad Had a Westland frame commissioned from Sid West in Exeter. Sid West had a bike shop in Exeter but his work shop was in Exmouth under the now demolished railway arches. My dad used to work at Sid's shop on a Saturday and bought his frame in 1953-54 and it cost him £16 then which was 4 weeks wages for an apprentice at Exeter Aircraft. Westland is a play on Sid's surname and his frames were revered by the racers in that area at the time. My dad's brothers and mates all had one-off Westland frames as they were high quality hand-built frames. Hope that fills in a few gaps. Mike
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I thought the name rang a bell, read this article a while back.

http://starostneradost.wordpress.com/20 ... tors-item/
Nu-Fogey
mikebike

Post by mikebike »

I see posts on Westland cycles from 2009 to 2014 so I am a bit late, but maybe my info will catch someones eye.
I bought a Westland in 1954, and still have it. A track frame. It is a lovely ride.
My brother had one as well.
Re the posts, Sid West of Westland Cycles, Sidwell St, Exeter made them, assisted by my good friend Pete Luxton who cut tubes and brazed. Sid was trained at Gillot Cycles and they sprayed his frames for him. Always a lovely finish.
Pete has gone on now but was well known in the area as president of Exeter Wheelers. In the 2000's he and I used to do old mens chain gangs together, 50 miles bit and bit with a cooked breakfast in the middle. Petes life total was 450,000 miles
I still rode my Westland a couple of times a year until 2016,about 30 miles, but not hilly, and on a 64 in gear.
If there is a response I can put some more info up.
One hint, Sids frame numbering, the first two numbers were the year, the next 3 the frame number in that year. So my frame is 54011 which is the 11th frame of 1954. I got it in May.
Happy memories.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes we would like to see some pictures, diolch

I have a Gillott..
Cycling, of course! But it's far better on a Gillott
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mikebike

Post by mikebike »

Here goes. 4 photos for a taste.
It is a 23.5 inch frame. Too big for me really but it was the fashion in those days (as recommended by 'experts') to have the biggest frame you could get your leg over. I didn't know so much then! Before the war it was the opposite.
531c double butted (of course), Nervex lugs, 74/72 deg, 41 in wheelbase. Chater Lee chainset with round cranks, GB brakes with QR and adjusters. Wheels are Conloy on Harden Hubs, the first ball race hubs. I always used Brooks Swallow or professional saddles, but it has a B15 on now. Otherwise all as original, even the mudguards - Bluemels.
Originally it was pale blue with red panels and double box lining, very smart. i have a (slightly hazy) picture of our teenage son on it, on the starting line of a time trial.
I used the bike for everything, racing (TT's), club and touring. Riding in a bunch of 20 all on fixed wheel is so much different (and better) than on gears. For TT's we would cycle to the event on Saturday carrying sprints, one each side of the front wheel, sleep in a barn, eat cornflakes and race on Sunday morning, and then ride to join the club for lunch and tea. So professional!
Any questions?
Mike.
Attachments
P1010531.jpg
P1010531.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
P1010537.jpg
P1010537.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
P1010536.jpg
P1010536.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
P1010527.jpg
P1010527.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Shaun Underhill

Post by Shaun Underhill »

I travelled down to Devon yesterday to collect this shabby example which came with an anonymous headset, double cotterless bottom bracket and seat post which much to my relief isn't welded into the seat tube with rust. I've hopefully uploaded some pictures of it.

The frame, size 22.5 inches isn't quite as bad as it looks and a brief going over in parts with a light sanding block removed much of the grottier surface spots. Mikebike's comments about the frame numbering for Westland bikes has been particularly helpful. I spent the best part of hour last night cleaning the usual places in my search for the frame number which is located on the rear N/S dropout. The number, 55007 thus shows it being the seventh example built in 1955. The lug work isn't particularly ornate and the paintwork which appears to be original is a shade of lilac. The bare outline in parts of the seat tube transfer is the only other reference to the maker but luckily the frame came with a full set of varnish fix transfers.

A worthwhile project in hand then resurrecting this old treasure though I'm not sure about the colour as yet. I wonder how many others are out there.

Shaun
Attachments
P1030424.JPG
P1030421.JPG
P1030422.JPG
P1030418.JPG
neilob

Post by neilob »

That was the colour and size of mine back in 1966! I wonder.......
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Shaun Underhill

...it can be a small world at times, don't suppose you have any photos of it?

Regards

Shaun
neilob

Post by neilob »

Sadly no. But I can remember most of the build.....Williams AB77 48/46 double chainset, Mafac Racer brakes and levers, early Campagnolo derailleurs and 5 speed block, Brooks Pro saddle, wheels were Constrictor rims on Maillard hubs, and GB bars and stem. It was originally owned by a chap called Mike Mead of Plymouth Corinthians CC who retired from cycling and sold it through a shop near what is now the Plymouth University. It was £25 and I got the money by doing a Xmas post round. I used to go to the shop most days to gaze at its beauty before I saved the money to own it. It got used for everything as was normal in those days. Funny, but nowadays I have a couple of very expensive Colnagos but that Westland in its lilac colour is the one bike I really miss! I hope you refurbish it and enjoy it but please let me know if you ever want to part with it.
rjb

Post by rjb »

neilob wrote: It was originally owned by a chap called Mike Mead of Plymouth Corinthians CC who retired from cycling and sold it through a shop near what is now the Plymouth University.

That could have been the shop I remember in Camden Street behind the Library and city museum. Not even sure they still exist.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Shaun Underhill

Thanks neilrob, if it is one and the same which could be highly likely given the unusual colour then I'll see what I can do regards keeping a lilac finish and preserve some of its history though may add a bit of colour banding in parts - will post updates here as and when and yes, will give you first refusal should I ever part with it. Presumably Westland frames were finished in the colours specified by the customer when ordering a frame. If you want, drop me a line on shaun.tanglin@sky.com.

When did you part with the frame, was it in the West Country? My own preference for wheels are 700s or 27's with large flange quick release hubs.
neilob

Post by neilob »

rjb wrote:
neilob wrote: It was originally owned by a chap called Mike Mead of Plymouth Corinthians CC who retired from cycling and sold it through a shop near what is now the Plymouth University.

That could have been the shop I remember in Camden Street behind the Library and city museum. Not even sure they still exist.

Was it called Hoskins or Hopkins?
neilob

Post by neilob »

I joined the RAF in 1969 and took the bike with me during my time at college and probably sold it around 1974 when I went to Germany. I don’t think many were built so chances of it being my old steed seem quite good. Wheels were obviously 27 inch and even then with a lot of clearance. I suspect you will not get 700s to fit given that the brake drop would have to be massive. Please keep me updated, especially if you decide to part with it (or swap?). Good luck and enjoy. A very rare bike that deserves to be ridden.