How to ride a tandem in a wedding dress?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
katesmum

How to ride a tandem in a wedding dress?

Post by katesmum »

We're getting married in May and the current plan is for me to arrive at the wedding on our tandem (as stoker). Trouble is, I'm not prepared to compromise on the wedding dress, but want to ride the bike so need to keep it out of the wheel, chain etc. I did once see a contraption on ebay that someone had built for their tandem ages ago (before the W word was mentioned in our house) so ignored it. Are you that person? Do you remember seeing it? Have you any ideas we could poach? Any suggestions gratefully received! Many thanks!
james01

Re: How to ride a tandem in a wedding dress?

Post by james01 »

http://chiccyclist.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... guard.html

You might be able to make one of these. BTW, congratulations.

Later edit: I hope your bridal shoes are SPD compatible.
braz

Post by braz »

More congrats - you back-seat driver, you!

Try one of these - then you can look back on your past life and fondly remember, before getting down to polishing his sprockets for the rest of your life!

kind regards, Braz.
Attachments
Yes, it's a Tandem!
Yes, it's a Tandem!
A Committee Cycling!.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5137&p

None of those will be any good if you are going to ride your own machine. We did have a thread on here a while ago about dress guards AKA skirt protectors, but they will only keep things out of the back wheel, not away from the chains, so you are going to have to devise some way of hitching it up while remaining bridal.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28095&start=0

Good luck on your big day. I hope you'll post a pic.

PS I thought it was bad news for the groom to see his bride in her dress before she appeared behind him in the aisle? Is somebody else going to be captain for the journey?

Edited to add the link to the skirt protector thread which I forgot to include originally :oops:
Last edited by thirdcrank on 17 Nov 2009, 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Cant offer a solution, but please post a pic after :D Contgatulations...
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

iandriver wrote:Cant offer a solution, but please post a pic after :D Contgatulations...

Ditto!

Perhaps let the pilot (Chief Bridesmaid - surely not your Groom!) do all the pedalling and you ride side-saddle?
Mick F. Cornwall
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

thirdcrank wrote: I thought it was bad news for the groom to see his bride in her dress before she appeared behind him in the aisle?

Speaking as a professional wedding photographer, I can assure you that's wrong. It's actually bad news to be superstitious on your wedding day 8)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I don't think I could add anything to whats already been said other than Have a lovely day and all the best! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It has occurred to me that you could do the same as my wife and wear a short dress. (Although I should point out that by the time we tied the knot I had given up on my attempts to train her as a stoker, either of tandems or boilers.)

I've just measured her dress and from a high neckline to the hem at the back it is 30". She is 5'10" so you will appreciate it would not have got caught in a bike wheel. Those were the 1960's. 8)
katesmum

Post by katesmum »

Brilliant - thank you!

The skirt guards look like they'll do the bulk of the job and I can gather up any excess and sling it over my shoulder for the ride to keep it off the chains or altenatively pack it all in a pannier! Will take my SPD pedals off and go back to clips for the day...
The groom's mate will be riding me there (depending on how our practice sessions go!) to keep the traditionalists happy. i will definitely be posting a photo.

And for our honeymoon - we're going to watch the Giro!!

Thanks again

Cx
james01

Post by james01 »

Another possibility: try to borrow a tandem trike. Easier to keep away from the wheels, and it can't fall over, so no embarrassing tumbles from a 2 wheeler in front of all the guests.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I'm sure I've seen it done, so maybe a post in a weddings magazine's website will attract advice too. I'd like to add my congratulations too. :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

I suspect that the answer is similar to the one for "How do hedgehogs mate?" :wink:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I saw an old (last year?) edition of the Tandem Club newsletter that had a wedding photo on the front cover. The bride was sitting side-saddle, and had hitched her dress up with one hand. I presume she wasn't contributing any effort!