Total Beginner (Newcastle Upon Tyne) Needs Help!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mw3230

Re: Total Beginner (Newcastle Upon Tyne) Needs Help!!

Post by mw3230 »

Fancy that - two members from Whickham! I'm a third and my brother is a fourth! Sounds like the beginning of a group
Retired and loving it
jebus197

Post by jebus197 »

Thanks I'm in Newcastle city centre. I'm a bit concerned as I'm a complete beginner though! (And very unfit!). I wouldn't want to hold any more experienced cyclists up. Still that city riders http://www.newcastlecityriders.org/ looked promising, they have different rides for different skill sets apparently. I've emailed them a couple of times, but no luck with getting any kind of a reply yet though.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

jebus197 wrote:I'm a bit concerned as I'm a complete beginner though!

You can ride a bike I assume? Therefore you are not a complete beginner! Might be a bit rusty and a bit slower than you could become but you are not a beginner! BTW well done for considering riding a bike, it is the true path to enlightenment 8)
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
jebus197

Post by jebus197 »

Yeah I can ride a bike, lol. Just a bit nervous around pedestrians/traffic etc. and also a bit unfit. (Which is why I bought the bike - which apparently is not too shabby a bike either for a beginner).
Sheffield_Tiger

Post by Sheffield_Tiger »

You'll possibly hear talk of a book called "Cyclecraft" on these boards (I'm a newbie here but notice mention of it already)

The reason I notice it when it is mentioned is that I recognise it as the book I borrowed from the library which made a lot of difference to me 20 years ago when I was pedalling to school and finding it "scary". If you find traffic overly intimidating, it really is worth getting a copy. It does make urban cycling a whole load less stressful.
BarryP

Post by BarryP »

You sound like you probably need some instruction on riding in traffic. I'm a qualified Bikeability instructor & can help you with that. Post a reply if this is of interest.