Stretching...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )

Do you stretch?

Before a ride
2%
After a ride
30%
During a ride
18%
Never
50%

Total votes: 44

Si

Stretching...?

Post by Si »

Do you? Before or after riding, or both? What stretches do you do? Is it of more value on really cold mornings? And do you think that there is any value in it or do you get the same effect by just riding gently for the first mile or two?
frank9755

Re: Stretching...?

Post by frank9755 »

No - don't do it. There doesn't seem to be conclusive proof that it is beneficial and, to be honest, I find it too boring.

I do do stretches if (usually) my back is playing up, as it does from time to time. My osteopath would say that if I did stretches every day my back wouldn't play up. But I disagree, as any agro I get is in response to abnormal activities (eg carrying a heavy golf bag when it was getting chilly a few months ago, or an uncomfortable airline seat on overnight flight more recently), not in response to things I do regularly, like cycling!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I do nowt.
I ride, I get home, I relax.

I see other people stretch and do all sorts of flexing and exercises, but I do nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Isn't that what they recommend in those glossy cycling mags, along with something about building core strength?. Whilst both have their uses, I think the mags advise this so one can ride the fashionably small bikes of today with less back/neck/wrist pain (seems to be at least one letter every issue).
minkie

Post by minkie »

I don't see the point of stretches before.
I go through spells when I do stretches after pretty much every ride. but sooner later the good intentions fall away and I get out of the habit.
When I'm not doing stretches back and knee stiffness / pain gradually creep in, and - hey presto - I find my motivation to start doing the stretches again!
PW

Post by PW »

I prefer a bike with a comfortable set up! :wink:
Never seen the need for stretches and never suffered by it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
herzog

Post by herzog »

I stretch after, never before. I find it helps me relax and minimizes post-ride aches. When riding reasonable distances (50-70 miles) on consecutive days, I consider stretching to be important.

Herzog
minkie

Post by minkie »

PW wrote:I prefer a bike with a comfortable set up! :wink:

I have a comfortable set up and don't get any aches. Therefore if anyone gets aches it must be down to their set up. Hmmmm...... :wink:
Last edited by minkie on 6 Dec 2009, 10:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekelticfringe

Post by thekelticfringe »

I do ham-string stretches after, and occasionally attempt to stretch the inside thigh tendons, because it makes me more flexible and feels good. But I'm well middle aged now, and never did any of this until about five years ago.
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
Chodak

Post by Chodak »

I'm a big, big fan of stretching and core stability work. However, there's a big caveat to that comment.

In my time I have competed in archery & karate and spent several years climbing and in mountain rescue but am a relative newcomer to road cycling.

The karate and climbing involve a wide variety of movements and muscles. They build core stability and strengthen most of your muscles just by doing the sports themselves. However, a bit like archery, cycling uses relatively few muscle groups in very repetitive movements.

Cycling is the only one of these sports which doesn't seem to widely encourage warm-ups and stretching. Not sure why as in my view it's just as relevant. My body definitely loses flexibility and is more prone to aches, pains and injuries if I just cycle. Stretching does help, but only after a gentle, thorough warm-up, or muscles can be injured.

Cross-training with martial arts has, for me, proved to be the absolute best combination with cycling for balance, endurance, speed, hill-climbing power and recovery as well as remaining free from injuries & aches.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

I do no stretching before or after cycling and see no point as I don't take my muscles to their extremities. Whereas when I play football I stretch quite carefully as there is a higher chance for someone like me (in their forties) doing themselves a mischief stretching for a tackle or something. I am not a medic and I might be wrong of course!
meic

Post by meic »

No I dont.

I dont know if I should or shouldnt. It must depend on the time you ride, the effort you exert, the cadence rate and force you put on the pedals.

I do know that I cant touch my toes and nor could I before I started cycling.
I am much better physically as a non-stretching cyclist as I was a non-stretching non-cyclist.

Possibly I would feel embarrassed getting all dressed up in lycra and stretching in public (as if I was about to do some proper sporting event like a marathon) and then ride off to do an Audax at the grand speed of 9mph. :wink:

Si, you should have attached a poll.
Yma o Hyd
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I usually stop for a quick stretch after 20 miles or so. I get off my bike and stand straight. I suppose that counts as a stretch. It helps my lower back.
Si

Post by Si »

Si, you should have attached a poll.

Yes, good idea.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hmmm interesting that some have indicated they have aches when they get "lazy" about stretching, but that stretching eases such aches.
A comfy bike position should mean minimal aches, but does not prevent the shortening of some tendons and muscles esp as we get older and less flexible.
Don't worry Meic you can always join me on the campsite, next summer for some stretching, lycra not essential :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells