Good location for day rides????

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sharpy

Good location for day rides????

Post by sharpy »

Hi,
Myself and a buddy usually take in a week long road tour once a year and over the years have covered most of this fair isle (LEJOG included). We stay in B&B's for the most part and it is my turn to organise the next tour. The thing is, we are a bit sick and tired of one--night--stands in B&B's which is ineviatable if trying to get from A to B in a week or so.

I am therefore toying with the idea finding a good base to stay for a few nights with the aim of going out for lengthy rides each day. The idea would be to ride to a point of interest, say a pictuesque village, stately home or seaside town etc. The base would also have to be replete with a few hostelries and places to eat.

Given this scenario, I wondered where forum members would suggest for a base :?:

Over to you folks.
Best Wishes
Paul
thirdcrank

Re: Good location for day rides????

Post by thirdcrank »

Skipton.
PRL

Post by PRL »

We found Bugle in Cornwall a good centre ( especially for rides to Gardens). Good food at Roche a few miles down the road.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Wow where to start? What sort of terrain? Is there anywhere in your extensive coverage of Britain you thought would be a great place to re-visit and explore more?

3-4 years ago started BCQ and generally pick a location central to a county's points to visit.

One trip to Norfolk I knew I did not want to be at the coast ie where I would want to cycle to, so chose a small town central to riding distance to the coast and birding spots.
Recently stopped at Cerne Abbas, some good cycling and plenty of hostelries in the village.

Generally I would look for a smallish market town central to an area you wish to visit, but not too touristy, it will then have a variety of accommodation, shops and hostelries. Keep away from the coast as it limits choices in direction but also gives you a destination for one of your day trips.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I/we have done a few "single base" hol's in Herefordshire.
Lots of quiet lanes and small towns / villages.
The area is one of the lowest car density places in the UK.
We were fortunate though in having a good guide who took us to loads of interesting places.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
james01

Post by james01 »

Another vote for Shropshire/Herefordshire. Good bases would be Ludlow or Leominster, both with plenty of accommodation and hostelries. Pleasant rides in every compass direction along quiet lanes, and you're near enough to the Welsh hills for a strenuous day ride for a change.These towns are both on a cycle-carrying North to South train service, so for a change you could extend your radius by getting the train to a point say 50 miles away & cycling back to base.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

It's a good idea IMO. I enquired about doing this by using a campsite as a base and cycling a few circular routes to get to really know an area a few months ago. Though I think it was on another forum. Unfortunately I got shot down in flames by a few snipers as it was not considered touring in it's purest form. Personally I did not see their point as I thought it was sometimes better than riding through an area to get to the next stop without seeing or experiencing that much.

Jim :)
PW

Post by PW »

If you like coastlines (not necessarily beaches but...) then a peninsula would be handy. If you choose Lands End then there's a good campsite in St Buryan which is about in the middle, pubs and shops within walking range or further afield by bike. Likewise there must be a dozen places in Brittany, especially the Finisterre region, and it's easy to get to by ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. Off the top of my head Locronan was a good one.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

We had a great four day tour last spring in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Based in Scamblesby (a converted farm building and thoroughly excellent too). It's about half way between Horncastle and Louth.Fantastic cycling country, sparesly populated and you aslo have the coast if you want it. And Lincoln itself is only about 25 miles away.

And another vote for Shropshire. This time in the north of the county. Had a week based in Ellesmere.Very pretty towns and countryside,not much traffic,plenty to see and do and even better if you like canals.(Just don't try getting there by train!).
minkie

Post by minkie »

What about Wales - Lleyn peninsula or the Harlech area. Loads of good accommodation, interesting little towns and not much traffic off the main through roads.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Halesworth in Suffolk is a pleasant place to spend a few days.There are some excellent rides around the area,the majority on quite country lanes with splendid scenery,routes over to the coast if desired.

We stopped in this cottage:-

http://web.onetel.com/~rogernash/PoppyCottage/index.htm

The website is out of date but they still advertise in the Tandem Club Journal.

Very comfortable and storage for bikes.

( No connection with the accommodation ).

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

For wide open countryside, lots of empty roads, coastline, castles, very good beer and as much historical stuff as a man can stand there is only one place for me - the fair county of Northumbriashire.
Be carefull out there.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

I would recommend staying in or near to Llanberis at the foot of Snowdon. It is a small town with a handful of shops / pubs / hotels and B&Bs / camping plentiful. Only downside is it can get rather busy and touristy at peak times so depending on your preference you may choose to avoid going at such times.

A cheap option might be to stay at a Travelodge or Premier Inn in Caernarfon which is maybe 5 miles away - the Travelodge has special offers on at the moment (you ahve to book each nght separately but it can be done) - both are close to the town and therefore better than the Premier Inn in Bangor which has a pub attached but nothing else around it.

From Llanberis you can
- walk up Snowdon, or take the train (very expensive option)
- cycle up Pen-y-Gwryd towards Betws-y-Coed, a lovely ride and a lovely (if touristy) destination
- cycle to Porthmadog, again a lovely little place - a visit to teh nearby Portmeirion very much recommended
- cycle to Beddgelert, another quanit little place - again a bit touristy and not a greta deal there
- cycle to Llyn Ogwen which is a big lake with nothing there in terms of shops etc but very beautiful scenery if you like lakes and mountains
- for beaches, cycle over the Menai Bridge to Anglesey and visit Benllech & Red Wharf Bay (The Ship on the seafront recommended for beer and good (though dear) food)
- Caernarfon also a ncie town to visit with a few more shops etc., and a lovely 12th century castle
- if you like steam trains, I think there are 2 or 3 narrow gauge lines. One in Llanberis which basically goes up and down the side of the lake I think, others that go a bit further.
cheers Taffy
minkie

Post by minkie »

dewi1 wrote:I would recommend staying in or near to Llanberis at the foot of Snowdon. It is a small town with a handful of shops / pubs / hotels and B&Bs / camping plentiful. Only downside is it can get rather busy and touristy at peak times so depending on your preference you may choose to avoid going at such times.

A cheap option might be to stay at a Travelodge or Premier Inn in Caernarfon which is maybe 5 miles away - the Travelodge has special offers on at the moment (you ahve to book each nght separately but it can be done) - both are close to the town and therefore better than the Premier Inn in Bangor which has a pub attached but nothing else around it.

From Llanberis you can
- walk up Snowdon, or take the train (very expensive option)
- cycle up Pen-y-Gwryd towards Betws-y-Coed, a lovely ride and a lovely (if touristy) destination
- cycle to Porthmadog, again a lovely little place - a visit to teh nearby Portmeirion very much recommended
- cycle to Beddgelert, another quanit little place - again a bit touristy and not a greta deal there
- cycle to Llyn Ogwen which is a big lake with nothing there in terms of shops etc but very beautiful scenery if you like lakes and mountains
- for beaches, cycle over the Menai Bridge to Anglesey and visit Benllech & Red Wharf Bay (The Ship on the seafront recommended for beer and good (though dear) food)
- Caernarfon also a ncie town to visit with a few more shops etc., and a lovely 12th century castle
- if you like steam trains, I think there are 2 or 3 narrow gauge lines. One in Llanberis which basically goes up and down the side of the lake I think, others that go a bit further.
cheers Taffy

+1 for Caernarfon - it's a good base and also fits in with my earlier suggestion about the Lleyn Peninsular
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

Minkie you're right of course ref Llyn peninsula - have looked at the map and Porthmadog is on it! I don't really know the rest of it very well and it may be that there are some beaches on there as well that I don't know about, might be more convenient than going all the way up to Anglesey?
Taffy