Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

Post by Brucey »

mercalia wrote:
slimjim wrote:Buy a proper puncture repair kit in Poundland - they are fab

However, I am just about to try with evostick and a home mad repair patch so I will keep you posted

DONT I did and the little box was empty. The next one was almost empty - no patches or glue - I gave up. After getting a refund I had shake of the ones they had and most sounded very light :lol:

I didnt get one from another poundland like store where the innards were on display in a blister pack.

The poundland kits are OK; the glue and patches work even if the abrasive supplied is not good enough and there isn't very much rubber solution inside those tiny tubes. Obviously you do need to buy them before some thieving toerags have nicked the contents, presumably by prying up the corners of the box or something.

However the kits sold in blister packs in 'poundworld' are not at all good in one key respect; the rubber solution doesn't work! I have tried using these kits and the patches just don't stick very well. Since I've made the same patches work OK with other rubber solution, the problem must lie in the rubber solution. Shame really, because the rest of the kit is OK, worth it for the (steel) tyre levers alone in fact.

If all you need is patches and glue, you can buy kits with this and nothing else in with 'thumbs up' branding on them. The rubber solution works fine and the patches adhere well. You get lots of both for peanuts, really. The only snag is that the patches are too large for narrow tubes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slimjim

Post by slimjim »

Poundland kits are really good
I've bought maybe 6 in the past two years and every one was perfect
On my 28C tubes I cut a round repair with a flat side about 2/3 of the way across the patch before I use it, and I place the flat side against the seam if possible - it works
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
The method is simple once the puncture is located,roughen the surrounding with the abrasive paper supplied a little bigger than the patch,spread a little solution on the area,let it dry, approx 5minutes max,repeat with more solution,let it dry again,peel foil from the patch apply patch to tube pressing from the centre outward paying attention to the edges,carefully peel celofane from the patch(trying not to disturb the edges.finish by scraping some of the french chalk 3

Kind of what I do. Only I'm a bit prone to leaving the celofane on as it seems to be irrepably bonded on and I use dirt from the wheel rim instead of chalk. Must be a philistine myself, but it seems to work.

Since posting that I've found that if you fold the patch in the middle once glued in place on the tube,the cellphone is designed to split in the middle and peel off easier :D

Bingo. I've learned something. :D Will give that a go.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:Kind of what I do. Only I'm a bit prone to leaving the celofane on as it seems to be irrepably bonded on and I use dirt from the wheel rim instead of chalk. Must be a philistine myself, but it seems to work.

Since posting that I've found that if you fold the patch in the middle once glued in place on the tube,the cellphone is designed to split in the middle and peel off easier :D

Bingo. I've learned something. :D Will give that a go.

you also need to press FIRMLY the patch onto the tube - at home I carefully use a mallet.
ian s

Post by ian s »

Out of curiosity, has any one tried making a patch from a small bit of gaffer or duct tape. It seems to be very sticky and waterproof, but may not be airproof
vincent0

Post by vincent0 »

Agree, puncture kit keeps the innertube going for ages. Until you get a puncture on a puncture then it seems to go wrong when you try to overlap a patch over the edge of another patch.

When I pull an inner tube out, the more patches already on the tube, the better I feel.

Bye for now
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Moving it on a bit from punctures, how about small cuts in the tyre itself where the rubber separates slightly from the inner carcass. I've heard the flexible rubber super glue can be good (not standard superglue). Anyone tried puncture repair glue?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:Moving it on a bit from punctures, how about small cuts in the tyre itself where the rubber separates slightly from the inner carcass. I've heard the flexible rubber super glue can be good (not standard superglue). Anyone tried puncture repair glue?

I've tried it,it's short lived.
ShoeGoo anyone?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Just a couple of thoughts.
The best puncture repair kits I've had are Rema TopTip,they never fail if done properly and extra patches are available on Ebay.
Rubber solution,to stop it evaporating in the tube,when you've finished using it press the tube so glue is juussttt issues out of the nozzle,then put the top back on eliminating air from inside,any air left in the tube and the glue disappears.
After mending tubes at home put a bit talcum powder on the patched area to stop it sticking to the tyre in fact I always put a bit of talc on the inside of new tyres before fitting for that purpose.
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've said it before, but I swear by the large oblong sheets that you buy from Weldtite and cut into your own patches. I've never really got on with anything else. YMMV.

I've had the same puncture kit for 30 years at least, even longer than Trigger had his broom, I think.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Best patches I've had and still have are the feathered edge variety in huge sheets for about a pound from China. They work great. I reckon the Chinese will know a thing or two about punctures after the millions of bikes they used to ride. I suspect there are warehouses full of puncture repair stuff since the population fell in love with the automobile.
On the other hand why is repair glue so expensive in the UK? Tiny litle tube can cost a pound.
Out and about I roughen my tubes up by rubbing them on the pavement. Works quite well.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I buy sheets of sandpaper and cut it up, to go with the cut sheets of patch material.

Hence my Trigger's puncture repair kit.

Last time, finding a small tube of repair solution (to fit in the kit for use out and about, should I run out of spare tubes) was quite difficult. I actually had to order some into an Evans' branch.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

These patches I find the best:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-PUNCTURE-R ... Sw9GhYbS4w

This is the best rubber solution I've used:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDTITE-VULC ... ME3-dfS_RQ

:D
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

I talc my inner tubes when fitting but recently noticed that it sometimes congeals into a hard black abrasive layer which frets against the tube causing another puncture. I now use talc a bit more sparingly. Anyone else noticed this?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:I talc my inner tubes when fitting but recently noticed that it sometimes congeals into a hard black abrasive layer which frets against the tube causing another puncture. I now use talc a bit more sparingly. Anyone else noticed this?

I do inside the tyre then wipe it out until there's just a white residue,not had the trouble you've had
W H Auden