Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mw3230

Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

Post by mw3230 »

The following appeared in the Sunday Times 'Cycle Doc' column in answer to a question about reducing the cost of repairing punctures -

"Evo-Stik Impact Adhesive is much like the glue contained in puncture repair kits. Using this you can make your own patches from old inner tubes"

sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone tried it and is Evo-Stik really similar to the glue in repair kits?

Edit - Just had another thought - will superglue work?
Last edited by mw3230 on 11 Jan 2010, 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired and loving it
531colin

Re: Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

Post by 531colin »

My best puncture tip - Don't pierce the end of the rubber solution tube. Instead unroll the other end, and roll it back up when you have finished. That way the stuff doesn't dry out in the tube. I know you don't believe me, just try it!
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

531colin wrote:My best puncture tip - Don't pierce the end of the rubber solution tube. Instead unroll the other end, and roll it back up when you have finished. That way the stuff doesn't dry out in the tube. I know you don't believe me, just try it!

I'll try it but I hope that I never have to!!
Retired and loving it
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My best puncture tip.
"Don't get one!"

Seriously, though, always carry a couple of tubes and a set of levers with you. Try anything as a fireside repair at your leisure, but in my experience, tubes are never very good after they have punctured, so often I just chuck 'em out. It's not worth the effort to repair.

Maybe if you use wide tyres and tubes, you may stand a chance of a decent repair, but my narrow tubes are too difficult.
Mick F. Cornwall
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Mick F wrote:My best puncture tip.
"Don't get one!"

Agreed, but even the best prepared and most careful (not me) cyclists suffer at times :( . The Times article was responding to a person who claimed to be fixing 4 or 5 punctures in his families' bikes each week and was looking to reduce the costs of buying patches etc. Obviously the option to invest in better tyres and tubes exists but it may be the case that his budget does not allow the replacement of punctured tubes each time, although I do tend to that way of thinking myself
Retired and loving it
531colin

Post by 531colin »

When I started tubes were rubber and you could fix them. Rubber tube + rubber solution + rubber patch = permanent fix. ( We had Woods valves and valve rubber to contend with, but that's a different story) Then along came these blasted butyl things. The patches don't stick anywhere near as well, and after you have patched it the butyl tube splits beneath the patch, so you end up with a tiny patch over a big split thinking "why did I use the wrong size patch?"
You can still get rubber tubes, these days they are called latex tubes. I am using "Air B" latex tubes, they are fantastically expensive but light tough and very flexible, and some of mine have several patches. Unfortunately I am running out of them, they eventually perish or the valve comes out - probably due to perishing anyway. (Tip dont unwrap them until you need them - they come sealed in a bag and perish on exposure to air over the years) .I used to get them locally but it looks like Madison have stopped distributing them - anybody know a source?
james01

Post by james01 »

531colin wrote:. I am using "Air B" latex tubes, they are fantastically expensive but light tough and very flexible, and some of mine have several patches. Unfortunately I am running out of them, they eventually perish or the valve comes out - probably due to perishing anyway. (Tip dont unwrap them until you need them - they come sealed in a bag and perish on exposure to air over the years) .I used to get them locally but it looks like Madison have stopped distributing them - anybody know a source?

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/4 ... gn=pid4976
Si

Post by Si »

I've used bits of old inner tube as patches before....it does work to an extent. But you do have to make sure that you get everything very clean and flat before application. And they work better if you have the correct sized tube for the tyre - the make-shift patch being a little more bulky than a real patch means that they are more likely to catch on the tyre and be displaced by any movement between tube and tyre.

I think that I used araldite as it was the only thing that I had to hand at the time....took a while to 'dry'.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I may be immagining something similar to assistance from faries, but I always thought that the patch glue worked by "vulcanising" the patch to the tube, i.e. chemically combining the two bits of rubber into one. Consequently I am dubious as to the comparative effectiveness of Evo-Stick. Whilst Evo-Stick is brilliant as a contact adhesive, I supect that it may eventually peel off, whereas I have never seen this with a "properly" applied patch (although I have seen it where I have botched the glue application - always use three blobs in succession!)

I am certain that neither super glue (cyanoacrylate) or Araldite would be unsuitable as buth set rigid; a characteristic which is generally undesirable in tyres.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

531colin wrote:My best puncture tip - Don't pierce the end of the rubber solution tube. Instead unroll the other end, and roll it back up when you have finished. That way the stuff doesn't dry out in the tube. I know you don't believe me, just try it!
The glue dries out because of the presence of air. So when the tube has been opened, just ensure that you have squeezed all the air out before you put the cap back on.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

goatwarden wrote:I am certain that neither super glue (cyanoacrylate) or Araldite would be unsuitable as buth set rigid; a characteristic which is generally undesirable in tyres.

I sure you ment 'suitable' and I would agree with that. Evostik does retain a flexible form after curing, so would be alright.

I read a useful tip on a kit label once and that is to gentle hammer the repaired patch (if at home) to impact the bond.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mw3230 wrote:The following appeared in the Sunday Times 'Cycle Doc' column in answer to a question about reducing the cost of repairing punctures -

"Evo-Stik Impact Adhesive is much like the glue contained in puncture repair kits. Using this you can make your own patches from old inner tubes"

sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone tried it and is Evo-Stik really similar to the glue in repair kits?

Puncture outfits are three quid,innertubes are £4,I punctured 4 times last year in total (two of which were the same puncture as I/we couldn't find the foriegn body on the first attempt)so three really,in 6.500miles its not worth the trouble messing about with Evo-Stik IMHO,as its designed for sticking plastic laminate to chipboard,MDF substrates not flexible rubber tubing.

Edit - Just had another thought - will superglue work?

Superglue is designed for sticking rigid UPVC and other plastics together,as such its quite brittle (if you've ever got any stuck to you're finger you'll know what I mean) its not designed to be flexible/elastic etc as rubber tubing is.

The best thing for sticking innertube patches to innertubes IMHO is rubber solution,the best patches are the type with a feathered edge like these:- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Rema_ ... 360042322/

The method is simple once the puncture is located,roughen the surrounding with the abrasive paper supplied a little bigger than the patch,spread a little solution on the area,let it dry, approx 5minutes max,repeat with more solution,let it dry again,peel foil from the patch apply patch to tube pressing from the centre outward paying attention to the edges,carefully peel celofane from the patch(trying not to disturb the edges.finish by scraping some of the french chalk (by rubbing it on the supplied abrasive paper)onto the area this will stop the tube sticking to the inside of the tyre when its inflated.And all for £3
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I tried using Bostik once, when at home, as a last resort before walking to the shops. Smells like rubber solution - but doesnt stick like it, even though I coated both surfaces and allowed to become tacky before bringing them together.
I've also had a couple of Continental inner tubes which turned out to be immune to rubber solution.
But usually I have no problems fixing inner depressurisation points (not using that word this year!) I'm pretty sure that I managed with a home made patch at least once. That would have been using rubber solution on both faces. Generally I try to keep a good stock of feathered edge patches. They seem to be getting harder to find, but Halfords still sell big tubes of rubber solution...
I generally carry a tube or two and a repair kit. Its more convenient than a dozen tubes :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveP wrote:.................... Its more convenient than a dozen tubes :D

:D :D :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mw3230 wrote:The following appeared in the Sunday Times 'Cycle Doc' column in answer to a question about reducing the cost of repairing punctures -

Errr... how much does a puncture repair kit cost? It seems to me that for a tiny outlay one can keep an old tyre going for several years - all by the miracle of the puncture repair kit. I can think of no other product that is so effective, ecological, and saves so much money. If bicycles were invented tomorrow, repair kits would certainly not be available for them as they cost the tyre manufacturers too many lost sales.

Who is this 'Cycle Doc'? Does he work for Evo-Stik?

We could also save money by using 'Ican'tbelieveit'snotbutter' on the chain.

p.s... Superglue's only good for eyelids and fingers. Not tyres.