Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Puncture repairs with Evo-Stik?

Post by pete75 »

I don't bother to sand the area I'm patching, instead give it a good wipe with petrol or cellulose thinners on a rag. This seems to make the patch stick better than sanding. Was told this years ago by a motorcycle mechanic when I'd mentioned trouble mending punctures in motorbike tubes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Gearoidmuar,

Mick F wrote:My best puncture tip.
"Don't get one!"

Seriously, though, always carry a couple of tubes and a set of levers with you. Try anything as a fireside repair at your leisure, but in my experience, tubes are never very good after they have punctured, so often I just chuck 'em out. It's not worth the effort to repair.

Maybe if you use wide tyres and tubes, you may stand a chance of a decent repair, but my narrow tubes are too difficult.

This is the full quote.
If you see my last sentence ..........

With 18-20mm tubes, the patches are so big in comparison to the diameter of the tubes, you can't get it done easily.
Considering that the National Minimum Wage is £6 per hour and my tubes cost £2.50, is it worth the effort? It may be worth the effort to you, but not to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

You can pick up puncture repair kits for under £1 from places like wilkinsons. I recently bought a kit from a 99p shop which contained the usual half dozen patches, glue etc and as a bonus also included 3 steel tyre levers and 3 allen keys. The steel tyre levers were pressed from sheet steel and a bit rough at the edges but 5 minutes work with a file, bench grinder or emery paper was enough to take all the burrs off and make them very useable.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I have tried a good number of puncture repair outfits and self adhesive patches. My greatest success has been with a puncture repair kit from WILKINSONS (http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/store ) at a cost of 0.72 GBP (yes, 72 pence) - brilliant value and no failures in 3 years.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikes4two wrote:I have tried a good number of puncture repair outfits and self adhesive patches. My greatest success has been with a puncture repair kit from WILKINSONS (http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/store ) at a cost of 0.72 GBP (yes, 72 pence) - brilliant value and no failures in 3 years.

Thanks for the link,just found out Wilko's are selling TF2 for £2.50,cheapest I've seen :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slimjim

Post by slimjim »

Buy a proper puncture repair kit in Poundland - they are fab

However, I am just about to try with evostick and a home mad repair patch so I will keep you posted
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

531colin wrote:When I started tubes were rubber and you could fix them. Rubber tube + rubber solution + rubber patch = permanent fix. ( We had Woods valves and valve rubber to contend with, but that's a different story) Then along came these blasted butyl things. The patches don't stick anywhere near as well, and after you have patched it the butyl tube splits beneath the patch, so you end up with a tiny patch over a big split thinking "why did I use the wrong size patch?"
You can still get rubber tubes, these days they are called latex tubes. I am using "Air B" latex tubes, they are fantastically expensive but light tough and very flexible, and some of mine have several patches. Unfortunately I am running out of them, they eventually perish or the valve comes out - probably due to perishing anyway. (Tip dont unwrap them until you need them - they come sealed in a bag and perish on exposure to air over the years) .I used to get them locally but it looks like Madison have stopped distributing them - anybody know a source?

well I cant say I share your experience, no problem with butyl tubes

I dont understand the articles motivation, since when is mending a puncture an expensive thing?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote: ............. since when is mending a puncture an expensive thing?
This is rather an old thread. :lol:

Reading through (again) I found I said this:
Mick F wrote:Considering that the National Minimum Wage is £6 per hour and my tubes cost £2.50, is it worth the effort? It may be worth the effort to you, but not to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

slimjim wrote:Buy a proper puncture repair kit in Poundland - they are fab

However, I am just about to try with evostick and a home mad repair patch so I will keep you posted

DONT I did and the little box was empty. The next one was almost empty - no patches or glue - I gave up. After getting a refund I had shake of the ones they had and most sounded very light :lol:

I didnt get one from another poundland like store where the innards were on display in a blister pack.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:I wondered where the "Evo" came from.
I sort of understand the "stick" bit!

The company was called Evode, and hence Evostik. I remember Evode but what I didn't know that it was a reversal of "Dove". See here for more details.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Okay... but what about "Bostik"? What does the "Bo" mean?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Roadster wrote:Okay... but what about "Bostik"? What does the "Bo" mean?

Boston. http://www.bostik.co.uk/corporate/comphistory, nothing to do with OB "Oh Bug&%$" :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Following on from Mick's post.
I buy Vittoria inner tubes in batches of 10 from Planet X for £10 ....
I don't repair them .. they go in the rubber recycling bin at work ( Hose company .. we have a rubber bin !) ....
I carry 2 tubes and a self adhesive patch kit, but i've never needed to use it to be honest.

Decathlon BTwin Protect and Resist tyres on all bikes ...25mm and 28mm.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
The method is simple once the puncture is located,roughen the surrounding with the abrasive paper supplied a little bigger than the patch,spread a little solution on the area,let it dry, approx 5minutes max,repeat with more solution,let it dry again,peel foil from the patch apply patch to tube pressing from the centre outward paying attention to the edges,carefully peel celofane from the patch(trying not to disturb the edges.finish by scraping some of the french chalk 3

Kind of what I do. Only I'm a bit prone to leaving the celofane on as it seems to be irrepably bonded on and I use dirt from the wheel rim instead of chalk. Must be a philistine myself, but it seems to work.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
The method is simple once the puncture is located,roughen the surrounding with the abrasive paper supplied a little bigger than the patch,spread a little solution on the area,let it dry, approx 5minutes max,repeat with more solution,let it dry again,peel foil from the patch apply patch to tube pressing from the centre outward paying attention to the edges,carefully peel celofane from the patch(trying not to disturb the edges.finish by scraping some of the french chalk 3

Kind of what I do. Only I'm a bit prone to leaving the celofane on as it seems to be irrepably bonded on and I use dirt from the wheel rim instead of chalk. Must be a philistine myself, but it seems to work.

Since posting that I've found that if you fold the patch in the middle once glued in place on the tube,the cellphone is designed to split in the middle and peel off easier :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden