ebay is weird

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
amaferanga

Re: ebay is weird

Postby amaferanga » 20 Jan 2010, 8:24am

I don't think that's a Tubus Cargo rear rack either - looks like a generic cheapo one.

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » 21 Jan 2010, 3:56pm

MikeMarsUK wrote:Here's an example of a super galaxy which has been listed with a lot more care - starting bid lower, much clearer photographs, mudguards are still there, and no dumb mistakes in the listing. It'll be interesting to see how high the bidding goes compared to the first example in this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dawes-Super-Galax ... 2eaa82cdf9

Agreed - a well-marketed bike.
It's up to £460 already with a few days to go.
That bike is exactly the same as mine, which I bought new for £800. I wonder if it will go for more than that!
He's done a few upgrades which might add a bit of value (Brooks saddle, front rack and Marathon Plus tyres (I'd rather have the original Marathons, though!))

Winkeladvokat

Postby Winkeladvokat » 22 Jan 2010, 8:58am

This is just selling 101. People generally don't buy things for a small and well defined set of reasons:

1. The price is too high
2. The quality is not right
3. It doesn't meet their needs
4. They don't trust the seller
5. They don't think you can deliver the goods in the time/location you want
6. They don't think the seller is answering their concerns

Starting an auction at 99p (1), making sure the bike is clearly well maintained and looked after with nothing wrong (2), making the description completely comprehensive (3), being absolutely honest (4), offering a range of payment and delivery options (5), and answering all questions accurately and quickly (6), deals with all of these points. In addition, emotional attachment, and information signalling through the price mechanism and the actions of others means the more people you can get interested and bidding early, the better.

MartinBrice

Postby MartinBrice » 22 Jan 2010, 3:26pm

I would think this might go for £800. It is the Super Galaxy, with the STI shifters (they are £250 a pair), front rack still on it, Brooks leather saddle that looks as if it hasn't been used much, the owner sounds as if he actually rode it - some on Ebay buy stolen bikes at police auctions and know nothing about them - and he tells us what the size is, which some do not. Decent bike, reasonable history, nice pix so you can see it's not been mucked about with.

Anura

Postby Anura » 25 Jan 2010, 6:50pm

I've been watching a Jim Soens bike from the early 60s selling on Ebay. It had a lot of the history of the brand with it.

It sold for around £550! Went to the States and the seller was more concerned that the bike went to someone who would love it than merely for the money.

asterix

Postby asterix » 27 Jan 2010, 4:10pm

Weird, but it can work in your favour with dodgy sellers.

Recently I won an item (not a bicycle) for several hundred pounds. After paying for it - in cash as required by the seller - and collecting, it turned out the item was of significantly lower specification than was clearly and misleadingly advertised on the listing (I'd even phoned before bidding to check the spec). The seller disputed this but eventually conceded the point and first agreed to make up the deficiency then asked, through ebay, to cancel the transaction, without offering to pick up the item, a trip of over 200 miles or send my payment back first if I were to do the return.

I declined the offer to cancel and raised the matter with ebay. After 3 weeks or so, having heard nothing further from the seller, ebay refunded the entire purchase price of several hundred pounds even though I told them I had no intention of returning the item as it would be far easier to buy the missing parts. The seller has not contacted me since so I don't know how he ended up.