Deflating Tyres For Aeroplane Trip

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Phil_Lee

Re: Deflating Tyres For Aeroplane Trip

Postby Phil_Lee » 26 Jan 2010, 5:11am

Edwards wrote:
stoobs wrote: But do tell me about greater headwinds at lower altitudes.

Then you should know that fuel loads are worked out to make use of the jet stream a tail wind.
If the aircraft descends below that height it can come into a headwind. Thus using more fuel.
You are correct diversions are worked out very carefully. The aircraft will be reasonably low on fue when it gets there. Being forced to ditch is also part of this complex equation.

Can you be totally certain the noise will not be heard. I am saying I do not know and there can be consequences for a loud bang being heard.
Are you suggesting that an aircraft would not be diverted as a result.

I'm certain that I would not divert any aircraft I was flying because someone heard a bang but no onboard instrument showed any sign of damage.

I'm equally certain that any diversion which a nervous pilot might take would be well within the fuel range of the aircraft, because there are considerable margins built in - any aircraft must (by law) be carrying at least enough fuel for a diversion to their "first alternate" destination + 1 full hour flying time after that, although that's just the over land lower limit. It is longer for long haul overwater flights, particularly under ETOPS (twin engine) regulations, as these types have lower single engined effeciency due to the increased asymmetric thrust.

Leaving some pressure in the tyres is a good thing to protect them and the rims during ground handling.

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 26 Jan 2010, 7:17am

But the whole point is that they don't explode anyway.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Jan 2010, 8:53am

In a recent major decision about anti-terrorism legislation, the European Court of Human Rights (apparently the only safeguard for UK citizens) ruling against arbitrary street searches drew a distinction with airline passengers who, it suggested, were by implication volunteering to abide by the rules, which included submitting to being searched. So far so good. Deflating bike tyres is hardly a big matter of personal freedom but it's simple to draw a parallel.

But then it seems it's not in the rules any more. So why are we trying to justify it.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Jan 2010, 1:40pm

John Adams's latest blog has some bearing on this topic, though not directly relevant.

http://john-adams.co.uk/

It's about police moving bikes because they are supposed to be a security risk, as they may have a bomb concealed in the frame. In spite of this the bikes are taken into the police station!

The crazy, illogical paranoia reminded me irresistibly of this thread.

Much good stuff on other cycling subjects, including h*lm*ts and seat belts.

irc

Postby irc » 27 Jan 2010, 2:04pm

Yes, I''ve read his blog in the past. I liked the letter he wrote to the Guardian (which they declined to publish.)

"Two years ago I was invited to give a lecture in Amsterdam comparing Dutch and British attitudes to risk. I complimented my hosts on having a much better cycling accident record than the British, and went on to say that I had been in Amsterdam for two days and seen many thousands of cyclists but only half a dozen cycle helmets. A member of the audience responded by saying that I had been looking in the wrong place. He offered to show me the following morning a disciplined file of children on bicycles all wearing helmets and fluorescent jackets. They would, he added, be cycling to the British school."

http://john-adams.co.uk/2008/08/15/cycl ... f-culture/
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Jan 2010, 4:46pm

On the thing about bikes being a security risk, although I've not used it recently, I belive there is still a separate cycle-parking area at Leeds station and unless things have changed, it has security warnings about removing panniers - not because they might be nicked but because of the unattended luggage thing. This area is surrounded with car parks including a number of cars parked between the bikes and the station building.

island girl

Postby island girl » 30 Jan 2010, 3:49pm

Thanks everyone. I seem to have opened a can of worms with this topic. I am a conformist so will partially deflate tyres as requested. The reason I posted this topic is I know I will not be able to inflate to the high psi that I like. I will do my best and I am sure everything will be fine. Thanks for all the information - it would seem deflation is not necessary but requested - so one must abide by the regulations.

pq

Postby pq » 30 Jan 2010, 5:56pm

Much of this is irrelevant. I've flown a lot with my bike and it's rare that airline staff don't check that your tyres are deflated. If they aren't, you aint getting on the plane. I know my tyres won't explode if I don't deflate them, but I always do it because I want to be able to get on the plane.
One link to your website is enough. G

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 30 Jan 2010, 6:01pm

pq wrote:Much of this is irrelevant. I've flown a lot with my bike and it's rare that airline staff don't check that your tyres are deflated. If they aren't, you aint getting on the plane. I know my tyres won't explode if I don't deflate them, but I always do it because I want to be able to get on the plane.

Well, we did get on the plane with fully inflated tyres on our Ryanair flights, which was great.

irc

Postby irc » 30 Jan 2010, 6:37pm

rualexander wrote:
pq wrote:Much of this is irrelevant. I've flown a lot with my bike and it's rare that airline staff don't check that your tyres are deflated. If they aren't, you aint getting on the plane. I know my tyres won't explode if I don't deflate them, but I always do it because I want to be able to get on the plane.

Well, we did get on the plane with fully inflated tyres on our Ryanair flights, which was great.

I got on two out of two flights last year without deflating my tyres. Aer lingus and Canadian
affair.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

Helen

Postby Helen » 1 Feb 2010, 3:23pm

So the problem is reinflating to a high enough pressure.

Being a little weed, my life was made simpler with the (now unobtainable?) Pneu Force pump whose frame-fitting design allowed you to use it as a little track pump. I bought mine some years ago at the York Rally and got up to pressure with one hand!

When the cable was damaged last year I had to find a replacement and bought the ToePeak Mini Morph via the CTC shop. Bit fiddly but works fine as a tiny track pump, or it did till a screw dropped out of the bottom part and neither the CTC shop nor other people I have contacted had the courtesy to reply to my queries re replacement screw.
Image Attachments
Mini_Morph_2.jpg
Mini_Morph_2.jpg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mini_Morph.jpg
Mini_Morph.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 668 times

island girl

Postby island girl » 1 Feb 2010, 6:00pm

Thanks Helen. Funnily enough I have just bought the Topeak Turbo Morph Pump with guage. Haven't used it yet so your recommendation is most welcome.

irc

Postby irc » 1 Feb 2010, 6:17pm

I also lost a small screww from the end of my Topeak. I replaced it with a bolt and nut of the correct diameter from a hardware store. I've heard of others having the same issue. Design fault?

js

Postby js » 15 Apr 2010, 1:06pm

The problem is that the airlines insist that the tyres are made completly flat making a puncture or even rim damage likely.

mjal

Postby mjal » 4 Jul 2011, 3:15pm

Not sure if this is correct thread as all posts seem old. We recently flew with Easyjet from Edinburgh to Munich. Airport staff insisted that we ( ? partially) deflate the tyres and were supported in this by Easyjet staff. We removed a token amount of air but at Munich it was clear that much more had been removed in the baggage area at Edinburgh. On return from our tour I emailed Easyjet and received the usual reply ( tyres will burst in "the vaccum" etc). I requested that Customer Service consult someone with even modest technical knowledge and a few days later you will be astounded to learn that Easyjet stated that it will no longer be instructing staff to insist on deflation and will also relay this to airport staff. I also have a promise of a clear statement re deflation on the website which at the moment has no mention of tyre pressures ( although airline staff at Edinburgh insisted that it did).I have also written to Dept for Transport suggesting that they direct airlines to be consistent in this matter. I still have at least 9 offending airlines in my sights re this ( plus may others who make no mention of deflation , leaving us open to the opinion of baggage-handlers). Watch this space.......