Deflating Tyres For Aeroplane Trip

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: Deflating Tyres For Aeroplane Trip

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Jul 2011, 9:22pm

I imagine the reak knack is doing it without tyre levers. :lol:

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 5 Jul 2011, 10:29pm

LET THE BLOODY TYRES DOWN..how hard is it to pump them up!!!! JESUS H TAP DANCING CHRIST ...... FIND SOMETHING WORTH WORRYING ABOUT .. ... aaaghh ......

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 5 Jul 2011, 10:41pm

well said landsurfer :D

if too many cyclists make a fuss about stupid stuff like this, the carriers will just ban the lot of us :evil:

horizon

Postby horizon » 5 Jul 2011, 10:43pm

hubgearfreak wrote:well said landsurfer :D

if too many cyclists make a fuss about stupid stuff like this, the carriers will just ban the lot of us :evil:

I didn't make any fuss at all - the easyJet staff made the fuss. I just ignored them. And yes, it is stupid.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

TonyR

Deflating Tyres For Aeroplane Trip

Postby TonyR » 6 Jul 2011, 5:36am

LANDSURFER74 wrote:LET THE BLOODY TYRES DOWN..how hard is it to pump them up!!!! JESUS H TAP DANCING CHRIST ...... FIND SOMETHING WORTH WORRYING ABOUT .. ... aaaghh ......

Just get off your bike at the Cyclist Dismount signs. How hard is it to push your bike. Find something worth worrying about.

The reality. Bike with inflated tyres wheeled to the plane and loaded on. Bike with deflated tyres can't be wheeled so tossed on the luggage cart with all the bags. Chance of damage much higher.

swansonj

Postby swansonj » 6 Jul 2011, 8:07am

TonyR wrote:
swansonj wrote:Plus, I believe there is a particular concern about what happens as the aircraft approaches ground - as it first gets within range of a base station, there is a liklihood that every mobile on board transmits simultaneously as they make contact with the base station, thereby increasing the total power.

You get a good signal at cruising altitude as evidenced by all the people that made phone calls from United Airlines Flight 93 at 40,000ft in the 9/11 attack. So bin that as an excuse.

Actually, I think that only two of the passengers made cell phone calls, the rest used the airphone system. But yes, that proves it is at least possible sometimes to make a connection at 40,000 feet. (It's sometimes been doubted whether it would work, even if you get a signal, because your phone would be in range of multiple adjacent base stations with roughly equal signal strength, rather than just the single dominant base station the systems are designed for. United 93 seems to prove it is at least possible.) There is undoubtedly a concern about the every-phone-calls-the-first-base-station problem, but I tend to agree with you it is probably overstated. It has also been estimated that on most commercial flights, at least one mobile phone is left on anyway. I also think that newer avionics equipment is built with higher immunity, and the concerns are more about the older equipment that is still in service. I think we can conclude that there is not a big risk of dangerous interference. Whether the risk is sufficiently small to be acceptable, and who's responsibility it is to prove that (which is where the money comes in), is perhaps the key question.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 6 Jul 2011, 9:34am

LANDSURFER74 wrote:LET THE BLOODY TYRES DOWN..how hard is it to pump them up!!!! JESUS H TAP DANCING CHRIST ...... FIND SOMETHING WORTH WORRYING ABOUT .. ... aaaghh ......

Erm - why bother?
There is no significant risk to the aircraft or tyres.
The regulation which catches tyres is designed for high pressure gas cannisters.

It's like a regulation accidentally banning shoelaces on flights - except that it affects fewer people.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

horizon

Postby horizon » 6 Jul 2011, 9:49am

[XAP]Bob wrote:It's like a regulation accidentally banning shoelaces on flights - except that it affects fewer people.

No-one had shoelaces on the flight I was on, they were all wearing flipflops. Disgusting. What happened to dressing properly for a flight? (Okay, I was allowed lycra shorts and Shimano sandals as I was a cyclist.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 6 Jul 2011, 5:19pm

Hard enough in a roasting foreign airport. I've often had to do it. Even harder if one of them has been punctured en route. That's happened to me. If you're flying into somewhere cold like Ireland etc., it's not much of a bother.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 6 Jul 2011, 5:47pm

TonyR wrote:The reality. Bike with inflated tyres wheeled to the plane and loaded on. Bike with deflated tyres can't be wheeled so tossed on the luggage cart with all the bags. Chance of damage much higher.

isn't your bike part dismantled and in a bag?

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 6 Jul 2011, 5:49pm

TonyR wrote:Just get off your bike at the Cyclist Dismount signs. How hard is it to push your bike. Find something worth worrying about.

waste a minute every 100 yards on a 1 mile path, compared to spending a few minutes on a flight of an hour or ten
you may think that a fair comparison - i dont

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 10 Jul 2011, 11:42pm

The world divides into two camps: those who tut at stupid rules before following them; and those who howl at the moon in outrage before following them. Me, I'm in the latter camp. And proud of it. If this was a safety issue, all airlines would check that all bikes in boxes had their tyres deflated. They're not. So it's not a safety issue. HOWL HOWL HOWL........
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

mjal

Postby mjal » 1 Aug 2011, 10:46am

ericonabike can howl if he wishes but the world actually has another type of person ; the type who knows when a rule is wrong/ illogical etc and tries to alter the situation by the application of reason. However, the road may be long and hard........

Update to my own post re tyre deflation when flying with easyJet. As noted, the company agreed that deflation was not required but so far have not altered the website to make this absolutely clear. I have written again requesting that they do so. Now for the really bad news.....

The Dept for Transport tells me that despite the fact that they publish and enforce a "comprehensive" programme on safety matters it is still open to all airlines ( and indeed all airports) to create their own rules regarding transportation of various items.Their advice is to check re deflation of tyres with "each airport and airline prior to flying". I have replied in no uncertain terms that this policy is utterly ridiculous ; no reply so far.

We are flying with easyJet in mid-September , again from Edinburgh to Munich. What do you think my chances are of being able to extract, in advance , an assurance from the airport staff and from easyJet's local staff that they are aware of the company policy?

I shall update re DfT in due course.

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 1 Aug 2011, 12:03pm

Chapeau mjal! Shamed by your activism and my apathy I have emailed Ben Goldacre, the Guardian's scourge of Bad Science, to see if he will examine the issue in one of his columns.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 1 Aug 2011, 1:18pm

:) SO .. air pressure at sea level is 1 bar ..lets call it 14.7psi ...for convienence.
At altitude in the aircraft the pressure is approx 9psi ... because the pressurisation dump valve maintains this for passanger comfort.
To keep the crew awake ..which is good ..
And to manage stress on the aircraft structure.
The pressure differential is not going to harm your inflated tyres ..they will not explode ..really!
Dropping their pressure , but keeping them inflated will reduce stress on the carcass of the tyre..

:)

Now go and save the planet ..or whatever you want to do and stop worrying about your tyres .... Bike box or bike bag ..it's not being rolled out to the aircraft!!!!!!!!!