user names

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hubgearfreak

Re: user names

Post by hubgearfreak »

Si wrote:was then eaten by a pigeon with apparently no heat discomfort whatsoever :cry:

birds don't have heat /pain receptors in their mouths. so, the hotter the chilli, the less likely it was to be eaten by mammals. so they were left for the birds. so the seeds travelled further, the hotter the plant. and thus is the beauty of evolution. and those seeds that grew better in bird droppings, did better. if you try to grow some again, ask a friend with a parrot for the muck from the bottom of the cage.
in parts of southern africa, crops are surrounded by a hedge of chillies. it keeps the elphants off the food crop.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hubgearfreak wrote:birds don't have heat /pain receptors in their mouths.

Are you sure about this?
Try giving a hot titbit to our parrot and she'll refuse it until it cools a little. I know her feet don't like to hold a hot chip, but if it was something small that I have to offer to her beak, she won't try until it's cooler. She knows hot food!

Also, the parrot food we buy has chillies in it, and she won't touch them. Maybe she doesn't like them!
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Are you sure about this?

yes - but chemically hot, not thermometer hot. :roll: :lol:
Rusty Spanner

Post by Rusty Spanner »

Hello all. My user name is a result of long-standing affection for popular Mancunian beat combo, The Smiths. Oh, and a lack of mechanical skill! Great thread, BTW.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hubgearfreak wrote:birds don't have heat /pain receptors in their mouths.

Yes, I understood the chemically hot suggestion, but you also said "pain receptors".
My mistake!

As birds don't have saliva, I actually don't know how they taste anything at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

As birds don't have saliva, I actually don't know how they taste anything at all.

Damn, you put "anything" in there, and I was all gearing up for a crap joke :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A friend of ours has an air rifle, and he's hoping to get a couple of wood pigeons - he reckons they are very tasty, especially the dark meat on the legs. Never tried pigeon, so perhaps I may ask for a taster!
Mick F. Cornwall
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Gary is my name, 'bald' is my head thus .......................... (drum roll and cymbal bash) Biscuit! Did you see what I did there? Gary....... Baldey...... Gari-Baldi, Garibaldi, Garibaldi biscuit ....... gerrit eh, eh, eh?
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:A friend of ours has an air rifle, and he's hoping to get a couple of wood pigeons - he reckons they are very tasty, especially the dark meat on the legs. Never tried pigeon, so perhaps I may ask for a taster!

It's very nice :D
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

thirdcrank wrote:Yes, we're campaigning to have Yorkshire Pudding given similar protection. :roll: Are you saying that usernames will also be rigorously checked to ensure regional authenticity? Look out, fausto copy :wink:

Well, this area is known as "Little England beyond Wales" so I am going to have my local patch known as "Little Italy beyond Wales". It's not as mad as it sounds as two of our villagers are actually Italian.
Maybe I could even invite Marco Panettone down too!
(Great name that, certainly better than my alternative moniker of Lance Strongarm).
Marco Panettone

Post by Marco Panettone »

Thanks! :lol:
My round the world ride: I Were Right About That Saddle Though
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

fausto copy wrote: ... two of our villagers are actually Italian. ...

Any relations of Bella Lasagne? :wink:
Dean

Post by Dean »

Quaker Mike wrote:I'm Quaker Mike 'cos Mike is what people call me, and being a Quaker is what keeps me from riding with the club on Sundays. Not because of any rules (we aren't puritans, as some mistakenly believe) but as an elder I need to be at meeting. Why can't more runs be on Saturdays? :( Perhaps I should start a new thread.

I had leapt to the conclusion that you were from Darlington...
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Has it been said already, but why do we persist in using all lower case type for our user names? I know it must be to do with modesty and self effacement. Whereas MY NAME IS ALL IN CAPITALS AND there is a reason why. When I first filled in the application to join the forum, i didn't realise that the cap's key was switched on (+ it was late at night!), but when I tried to change the type, it was too late. So folks, I'm not really a load shouty egotist 8) ....honest.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dean wrote:
Quaker Mike wrote:I'm Quaker Mike 'cos Mike is what people call me, and being a Quaker is what keeps me from riding with the club on Sundays. Not because of any rules (we aren't puritans, as some mistakenly believe) but as an elder I need to be at meeting. Why can't more runs be on Saturdays? :( Perhaps I should start a new thread.

I had leapt to the conclusion that you were from Darlington...

:D :D :D :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden