user names

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: user names

Post by thirdcrank »

fimm wrote:[
I always wonder why is thirdcrank, thirdcranK?

This is recycled from another thread entitled "Avatars" which meandered into usernames.

Then I'll tell you the origin of mine.

In 1995 I had to visit a very nice professional couple in Leeds through work. They had also being trying to get some pretty straightforward info out of Leeds City Council but had been fobbed-off by a functionary in the highways department. He had told them to join a community group, even though their house was isolated and nobody else was affected by an issue which was causing them great misery. He had said, 'You could be just a couple of cranks'. I offered to form a community group with them saying 'I'll be the third crank'. About that time, in a misplaced flush of optimism brought on by the Notional Cycling Strategy I began to attend the utterly pointless consultation meetings staged by the same highway authority. There was a space for 'Organisation represented' on the attendance register and I used to put The Third Crank. The minutes came to me at that organisation.

I am no IT expert and the first time I enrolled on here I thought it was asking me to devise a password so in it went. I have never sought to be anonymous so for the first few months I put my name at the end of my posts.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

fimm wrote:... I think the best reason for not using your real name I've read is so that your employer, or a potential future employer ... cannot google you and see what you have been writing ...

Good point. I suppose you could work that to your advantage and only write really good things.
sixty5bri

Post by sixty5bri »

My first name and the year I was born, although I did quite fancy the unhairy biker :D
Raleigh Equipe (refurbished with shimano 105 bits)
Falcon 531 tubes (refurbished as a single speed)
Cube Ltd Pro Mountain bike.
Dahon Jetstream p8

http://picasaweb.google.com/brian4922/MyBikes#5431719200092756306
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Mine is from a Moulton meeting years ago, as someone else's answer to the question "which Dave?" The joy of having a good common first name. But I too have different names on different sites.

Sometimes one universal identity, be it real or not, is quite a good thing, though. I have discovered from elsewhere on the web that Stewart Pratt of this parish shares with me an interest in Ricoh cameras. But I bet he didn't know that!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Colin63 wrote:How did Ferret Worrier get his name?

Not quite TC :lol: At 6'2" and 14St 5ish Lbs hardly thin but less than I was 2years ago when I returned to the saddle :D

FW comes from a period about 14 years ago. (Iam a building manager for a property developer) We had a maintainance director who was almost a law unto himself, I had been trying for several weeks to get some jobs done and kept getting fobbed off. One particular day he walked in sat at my desk, I simply but very firmly asked him how long it would be before these jobs got done as I was getting ear ache off the tenents. and gave him a bit of the ear ache I was getting. He sat there, put his head in his hands and simply said "Malcolm you'd worry a ferret, you would!" I got the jobs done! and Ferret worrier sort of stuck with me, the misspelling is my fault when I signed up on the forum. so it's nothing to do with actual Ferrets as such :lol: Although, along with others I visit the old copper mines at Alderley Edge and go "Ferritin" arround underground :D www.derbyscc.org.uk

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Quaker Mike

Post by Quaker Mike »

I'm Quaker Mike 'cos Mike is what people call me, and being a Quaker is what keeps me from riding with the club on Sundays. Not because of any rules (we aren't puritans, as some mistakenly believe) but as an elder I need to be at meeting. Why can't more runs be on Saturdays? :( Perhaps I should start a new thread.
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

My user name (used on several web sites) says what sex I am and where I live. Only problem is, when I retire in a few years, I'll be moving to Scotland. I don't know whether I ought then to change my name to mary-who-used-to-be-in-Oxford-but-is-now-in-Dumfries

Mary
I used to be known as "maryinoxford," but I've moved...
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

maryinoxford wrote:My user name (used on several web sites) says what sex I am and where I live. Only problem is, when I retire in a few years, I'll be moving to Scotland. I don't know whether I ought then to change my name to mary-who-used-to-be-in-Oxford-but-is-now-in-Dumfries

Mary

Mary, when will you be moving? I am about 20miles from Dumfries.

Me, a native of Scotland, happiest in wild places and good at keeping blood sucking insects at bay. I also have a bit of an occupational link with bogs
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bogmyrtle wrote: ............ I also have a bit of an occupational link with bogs

The mind boggles!
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Mick F wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote: ............ I also have a bit of an occupational link with bogs

The mind boggles!

I have an occupational link with bogs too!! How many cycling forums can claim to have two professional boggers in their midst? I sometimes work on Roudsea Moss in South Cumbria. What's your link bogmyrtle?
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

My user name is pretty self explanetry :?

I can't pull the birds anymore....squashed a few in my time :shock:
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Because [inappropriate word removed] happens
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Yes thinking up a user name always causes me trouble.
It could have been 'grey haired mouse' cos I'm small and easily startled?
Or then again 'Blue Lydia', because of the colour & reg No of first car?
What about 'vinyl 33' cos of my collection.
Or even 'Sick of building semaphore signals'
Perhaps I'll just stick with 'Bored & underachieving' instead of the really original and witty name that I choose.
Alan
glueman

Post by glueman »

The glueman was a nutcase in an old wartime film, going too far and always thinking he was in the right. I identify with him completely.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Colin63 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

The mind boggles!

I have an occupational link with bogs too!! How many cycling forums can claim to have two professional boggers in their midst? I sometimes work on Roudsea Moss in South Cumbria. What's your link bogmyrtle?

My work is more associated with the sanitary type of bog.
Can you guess what I am yet?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.