. . .When a cycle lane is not a cycle lane?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GPL

. . .When a cycle lane is not a cycle lane?

Post by GPL »

Hi, What happens if vehicular traffic just ignores a cycle lane? What rights or right of reply does a cyclist have? A main road on my commute has been manic for years, where two lanes of traffic form on basically a car and a half width of road. Half the traffic turns right, half goes straight forward and the cyclists use the unfrequented footpath.
Now part of the road has been designated as a cycle lane, all lined out, signed up and bicycle icons painted on. In theory the two lines of traffic have to form one line and the cyclist has his/her lane.
Not a bit of it, the cars just carry on as it was, even the "professionals" buses, wagons, taxis etc carry on regardless. To cap it all a driver abused me for using the footpath whilst he was jammed on the cycle lane. Of course I suggested I'd use the correct lane if he got out of it. His reply "It will never be a cycle lane, this road is too busy to have one!"
Any thoughts?
meic

Re: . . .When a cycle lane is not a cycle lane?

Post by meic »

"What rights or right of reply does a cyclist have?"

Effectively none.
However it does make it a bit harder for them to justify shouting "Get off the choice-of-expletive road"

It is rather like Advanced Stop Lines, which are meant for cyclists but in practice are "first come, first served."
Yma o Hyd
byegad

Post by byegad »

You do get one keying free on the offenders' vehicles. BUT...............!!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

What type of cycle lane is it ??
Is it Mandatory, (marked with solid white lines) where other vehicles are excluded for at least part of the day,
Or Advisory (marked with broken white lines) where other road users can use them if necessary and may be allowed to park in them at certain times.

If it a mandatory one then you'd prob need to find out if its full or only part time mandatory.
If its only an advisory one then theres prob not a lot you can do ......... :cry:

Luck ........... :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to embroider what's already been said:

This is the Highway Code:

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.

[Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

The legislation is that empowering the authorities to make traffic regulation orders (TROs.) These are specific regulations covering an individual traffic scheme. You need to read the relevant TRO which will be available at your local council highways department or similar to find out excatly what it says. Having said that, no matter what it says, enforcement is likely to be zilch.

One slight ray of hope might be to find out the reason for the lane going in - they don't appear spontaneously. Check with the council's cycing officer or equivalent and contact the local CTC Right to Ride person. It might possibly be that it's the result of complaints about cycing on the footway. If so, try to harness that pressure to get some enforcement of the cycle lane. IMO it's a waste of effort ringing the local police station because you will either be fobbed off or somebody might come and look at it once. Armed with any info about why the lane was created, raise this at the local police consultation forum. At least relatively senior people will then have to listen to what you are saying and they might offer a more permanent solution. Or not.
GPL

Post by GPL »

It is a broken white line lane. It is now a continuation of an earlier marked cycle lane that used to give up just as the cars started to double up approaching the traffic lights some 600m from the junction. Then overnight it appeared all marked and badged up but the cars pay no heed to it.Through the lights it changes to a solid lined bus, taxi, cycle lane with time restrictions and that is observed to the very minute as I try hit it as the times kick in.
I rang the council to confirm it was a cycle lane right to the lights and perhaps a few more bike icons in the newer part might help. God bless them they painted some more in within days, was I impressed.
However to no avail
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Have you considered 'strategically breaking down in the cycle lane'. Cramp, pulled muscle, chain jam, insect in eye, abdominal cramps perhaps. :wink:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Use it to suit your own agenda!

Next time you get a letter about cyclist not using cycle lanes - send pictures into the press showing why you can't !
GPL

Post by GPL »

Mmm one day I did jump off the pavement and back onto the cycle lane and adopted a kind of "go slow" up to the lights. The driver behind was keen to give me his opinion and told me he would hardly feel a cyclist under his 4X4 wheels should I pull that stunt again.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

GPL wrote:Mmm one day I did jump off the pavement and back onto the cycle lane and adopted a kind of "go slow" up to the lights. The driver behind was keen to give me his opinion and told me he would hardly feel a cyclist under his 4X4 wheels should I pull that stunt again.

I hope you took his registration and reported him to the police for assault.

Even if they do nothing about it, reporting it means that if he follows up the assault with battery, you will have established intent.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I admit, the obvious answer is to ride in the lane, not on the pavement. Why should drivers take notice of a non-mandatory lane when all the cyclists are on the pavement?

Make sure you take up the whole width of the cycle lane, otherwise they could just try to scrape past you in the gutter.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

GPL wrote:Mmm one day I did jump off the pavement and back onto the cycle lane and adopted a kind of "go slow" up to the lights. The driver behind was keen to give me his opinion and told me he would hardly feel a cyclist under his 4X4 wheels should I pull that stunt again.

As is usually the case, we are so often lacking a suitable reply to the one-liner. A possible reply to the "You're the one who will get hurt mate!" gambit would possibly be to look him squarely across the bonnet and say, "Well why don't you just run me down then! But what will you say to the Magistrate and who pays your mortgage while you're in Prison!" Show the g1t you mean business.

Never tried it myself, but there might come a time.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Foolhardily, I always invite people to have a go when they offer. No doubt one day I'll be beaten to death...
GPL

Post by GPL »

Mmm, this is in a city that boasts the worst postcode area for non insured cars, a staggeringly high percentage. I'm sure a squished cyclist would only mean a trip to the car wash for them. I'm sort of in a smile back and wink at them stage at the moment. You never know how many are sat behind those blackened windows.
monster

Post by monster »

get a very loud horn (louder than a trucks horn) and then beep the idiot drivers that are in the wrong lane. tell them to "get out the ******* lane !" it will be fun cyclists revenge, if nothing else.