new claud butler dalesman

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cols3064

new claud butler dalesman

Post by cols3064 »

does any one own one ,or there views on the bike
Puddle Duck

Re: new claud butler dalesman

Post by Puddle Duck »

I own a 2007 model. It was brought end of line as the newer models were coming out. I've had no problems with it so far and am planning on taking in on some lovely long rides in the summer when the weather clears up a bit.
I don't know how much the new model differs from the one i've got - but the added brake levers on the top of the handle bars as well as on the drops are a plus for me allowing me to brake no matter whether i'm on the drops in a fast mood, or resting on the tops in a slow relaxed cycling mood.

I also find the gear shifters to be a lot nicer than those on the downtube which I didn't get on with too well when I had a bike with those on.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

I had a new Claud Butler Dalesman in 1982.
A lovely bike.
It died a few weeks after I rode into the back of a car on it on the way home from the pub.
I went through the back window of the car and the frame got bent, later cracking during a time trial.
Shame really.
I suspect the new ones aren't as nice, but I wouldn't mind trying one !
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

I have a 2008 CB Dalesman.
very happy with it but have replace the Selle Rolls saddle with my old faithful Brooks Flyer.
Will be replacing the Bor Yueh rack with a Tubus when I tour later in the year.

I think for the money £699 it was a bargain.
Sorry mikeitup. The sig just had to go. The forum staff are revolting ! Graham
stevelr51

Post by stevelr51 »

Hi I also have a 2008 Dalesman and apart from a couple of running in adjustments I have found it to be a good alrounder, done some fab tours on it too in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Capable of carrying panniers for the trips with ease it has now covered 6250 miles, the 32 mm Marathons have been replaced by 28 mm Marathons a good tyre found to have been suitable for my needs. :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I've just noticed that the new 2010 Dalesman has gone back to a virtually horizontal top tube. It looks much nicer like this and with the Tiagra STI's it's considerably better value than a Galaxy(without discount).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

CREPELLO wrote:I've just noticed that the new 2010 Dalesman has gone back to a virtually horizontal top tube.

Actualy, it was exactly like that from quite early in 2009, because I had a good long look at one at about this time last year.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Fleetfut

Post by Fleetfut »

I just bought a Claud Butler Dalesman through the nhs Bikes to Work scheme. I was supposed to be getting the 2008 model at a reduced price but it was unavailable although i wasn't told this when i placed my order and money started going from my wages. To cut a long story short i had a lot of problems getting a bike but in the end i was sent a 2010 model which made up for the hassle i'd had.

Anyway, i havn't had chance to ride it properly yet but it sure looks nice and should be the biz for touring. It weighs a ton compared to my trek road bike but hey it's a touring bike not a racer. I think i may have to change the handlebar stem for a shorter one as it feels like i'm having to stretch a lot to reach the brakes.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

I have a 2007 model and the only differences I can see between mine and the 2010 one is the colour and a different headstock. I bought it to replace my (stolen) Mercian and I have been delighted with it ever since.

It has covered 28k and has been a joy to ride and own. For an off-the -peg tourer I don't think you will find better value elsewhere. My only issue was with the San Marco Rolls saddle which was swiftly replaced with a Brooks B17 standard - but each posterior to it's own :lol:

I also find it very smooth and stable under heavy load - I'm 6ft 2in and 15 stone and do the family (of five) weekly shop on it and it runs like a dream.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.