Cycling on Seafronts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re:Cycling on Seafronts

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW

In addition to your points, it is also interesting how when it suits the authorities to get cyclists out of the way, footpath cycling, in the form of squalid, incompetently designed shared-use schemes, suddenly becomes OK.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank -

Yes, I have noticed - it must be the same the country over.

We have one cycle-lane nearby which runs along the course of an excavation for about a mile, with the joint between the (badly done) backfill and the original road surface right down the middle of the cycle lane making a crooked groove which catches your wheel and can so easily throw you off. I usually ride in the road on that stretch, because the cycle lane is so dangerous.

Actually, I really believe that the 'authorities', whoever that means, have no regard whatever for the lives and safety of cyclists, and some of the things that they do are so ingorant and inept that it wouyld be easy to believe that they do it on purpose.

I shouldn't really let myself get wound up about it.

Safe riding, thirdcrank.
alma

Post by alma »

Mounts Bay - Newlyn - penzance to Marazion is nice ride.

cheers
alma
handallyingharry

Post by handallyingharry »

Paul Power is a wheeler dealer.
Bognor has some cycle lanes on the front, although I was told to get off my wheel chair by a community officer, which I could not do.

I have a responsibility to go at max 4mph on the pavement.
Paul Power

Post by Paul Power »

Thanks Alma, I love Penzance!

Paul

www.paulpower.co.uk
Dai

Post by Dai »

Somebody ought to keep an eye on this thread to keep it near the top because seafront cycling is good fun and it's useful to know the places you can safely take your bike.

How can I get it back to the top? :lol: :idea:
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...John W

I used to ride on the prom along Southsea's 4-mile seafront to and from work all year round...then this local councillor who liked to walk along it early mornings started getting aggressive...so I took to the road

The road is pretty much quiet especially out of the holiday season and I have at times managed speeds of well over 20mph...which I could never do on the prom...which by the way it is still illegal to cycle on...though 100s do...

I like cycling on cycleways but really don't like trying to avoud pedestrians the whole time as I used to on the prom

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Baldric

Post by Baldric »

Hi, don't know if you have looked at the Sustrans website but cycle route 1 runs up the east coast of Britain and I believe it forms part of the North Sea Cycle Route, Sweden, Holland, Belgium etc. don't know how much of it is actually on the promenades though.

Paul.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

wellingtonrock wrote:You probably know already, being in Littlehampton, but Worthing seafront has a bit on which you can ride - from Lancing to 'Splash Point', and a bit you can't - the Promenade bit along the rest of the front. It's all an hodgepodge here at the moment, though the local councillors promise a tidy up eventually. And they've supposedly done some more coastal cyclepath between Lancing and Shoreham, though it's still not 'legal' between Lancing green and the boat club. Not really joined up thinking - yet?
It's getting there - see ongoing works :)
Soon it will be legal to cycle along the front from Shoreham to Splash Point, Worthing (apart from a very short 'cyclists dismount' bit by Lancing Sailing Club - end of Shopsdam Road), most of it on a cycle path, but with some shared use bits.
"42"
keyhavenpotterer

Post by keyhavenpotterer »

Does anyone know why, and for what reason, all the anti-cycling attitudes developed.
I live near Lymington, and the sea wall ride from Lymington to Keyhaven is wonderful but banned. Since locals have ridden this route for so long, no action is taken, but does not prevent people being unpleasent.

The cliff top / promenade ride over from Milford to the Studland ferry on the other side of Bournemouth could be a jewel in the crown for Sustrans. I road it many times in the nineties, practically the whole route banned. £100 fine along Bournemouth parade, and this is a wide road with pavements either side!

How do we change this? I really would like to start with the sea wall ride.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

keyhavenpotterer wrote:Does anyone know why, and for what reason, all the anti-cycling attitudes developed.
I suspect it was to do with the rapid rise of 'off-road' capable bikes in the 90's which saw more bikes being used off-road (including on-pavement, and sometimes quite agressively) hence antagonising the dog-walking public. Combine this with a general lack of political fibre and press driven knee jerk reactions to get loads of signs and 'thou shalt not' regulations (OK, rant over).
"42"
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

dai wrote:Spent a day in Weymouth recently - plenty of cyclists on the prom and didn't see any signs saying they couldn't

Sorry Dai, Weymouth does have signs prohibiting velocipedes on the prom, there is however, a cyclepath which runs the other side of the seawall, just across the road.
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

Paul
The esplanade between Brighton Marina and Saltdean has a bylaw prohibiting cycling unless you are "enroute to or from your bona fide place of employment on or adjacent to the esplanade" but there is no definition of adjacent so you could argue a point there. Some of the Saltdean locals have complained to the police in the past and there have been a couple of purges, but they always have a week or so of warnings before handing out tickets. Seaford has a bike lane alongside the promenade, seperated from the road by a kerb line. Personally I'd rather ride on the road but I' ve never seen or heard of confrotation from pedestrians etc as long as cycling is undertaken at walking pace.
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

Just a thought on cycling on pavements etc. I am a serving police officer and my experience is that if people cycle on pavements for safety reasons ie. alongside a busy trunk road then their actions would be ignored. We generally have more important things to consider. Even in less dangerous areas it is normally overlooked as long as the cyclist proceeds at a slow and cautious pace giving precedence to pedestrians. If an individual officer decides to take action it would normally be a simple requst to dismount or move to the carriageway. However if local residents, councillors, grumpy buggers etc complain a short operation may be employed to discourage offenders. As previously stated there would usually be a short period of warnings before any real action is taken. With regards to cycling on other paths, land, parks etc police advice would be for the land owner to take action. If cycling on a footpath which is a right of way you simply become a trespasser (not conforming to the regulations of the right of way) and can be removed from the land by the shortest practicable route (which usually would be the footpath you are already on).
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

To continue:
If you are asked to leave the land you will have to take your bike with you, obviously. You are perfectly within your rights to walk a footpath pushing your bike, as would a horserider who dismounted and led their horse on foot. Regardless the police would only become involved if you refused to leave the land and had to be "ejected". There is no criminal offence of trespass and police would have no power to prosecute or issue any form of Fixed Penalty Notice (ticket). Trespass is a "tort" under common law which means it's wrong but with no penalty. Landowners can, if they suffer constant problems get an injunction against certains acts and then pursue people who break the injuction through the courts. I have never known anyone going to those lengths (it costs money!!!).