dog dazer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kendalboatsman

Re:dog dazer

Post by kendalboatsman »

When I was an apprentice, I used to cycle to work along the riverside cycle path that cut across the local playing fields. There was a guy out most mornings with his dog roaming loose, the dog was a boxer or some other fighting type dog. If it was near the path it used to chase me whilst growling.

After two weeks of this I was extremely annoyed (that's the polite version) and as the dog once more attacked me I pedalled fast then suddenly jammed on the brakes causing the dog to overshoot. As it went passed I kicked at it. I hit it on the head with my size 10 steel toed safety boots.

Not surprisingly it never chased me again and gave cyclists a wide berth after that. The owner never used to call the dog off and that was the most annoying part.

BTW I am a dog owner and I don't normally kick dogs but that one had it coming as it was a scary experience. By contrast when a farm dog used to run down the road barking I would just stop dead and shout it down. I don't think they knew what to do when that happened as they just stood there in the middle of the road.
mel

Post by mel »

Not too long ago I was cycling passed a wood near here when I heard a right Hoolabaloo going on so I went into the wood to investigate. There was a mountain biker and a dog owner punching the daylights out of each other, I can only assume it was something to do with the dog which was being held by the owners distraught wife. I was about to wade in and break up the fight but the mountain biker seemed to be getting the better of the dog owner so I decide it was none of my business.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Actually squirting water from your bottle into the dog's eyes is one of the best ways to stop a dog in it's tracks without harming the animal. If you ever encounter one; it also works with a Wild Boar.
stinningspan

Post by stinningspan »

You know every time I've been chased by a wild boar I've never had my water bottle with me. Must remember it next time :-)
nella

Post by nella »

Most boars I know are happy with a pint, it's only when it's spill it that I become wild.
blueyonder

Post by blueyonder »

Us cyclists dont know how lucky we are. I used to do a bit of jogging. Then you've really got a problem when a dog goes after you.
I got nipped once and the woman with the dog said I shouldnt have been running so fast. Some blinking hope.
rita

Post by rita »

Thanks for all the replies.
I thought it sounded too good to be true. The water bottle squirt works quite well. I do a lot of back country riding in Canada so also carry bear bangers( gives off very loud noise and flare - scares me more than the bears) and pepper spray - I haven't resorted to using this on dogs yet. I am going on a 1 year cycle trip in June and am going to cycle through areas notorious for dogs (Romania etc) and don't imagine I'll get through customs with my bangers and pepper spray.
Thanks
chick2en

dOG dAZER

Post by chick2en »

I have recently been to Ireland and found dogs love to chase cyclists there ( Just English cyclists,I wonder) I read in the Rough Guide that there has been some legislation to make dog owners restrain their animals. They suggest that if you are chased either a; run away b;use a dog dazer or c; stop and read the relevent act to the animal! Personally I suggest rapid retreat.
Marshall
Kentish Man

Post by Kentish Man »

Josie Dew mentions that she carries a Dog Dazer: see page 5 of 'Travels in a Strange State'
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

It has been suggested that the wheels of a bike give off a high pitched whistling sound which humans can't hear, but dogs can - which is why they chase us.

I'm still looking for recoiless machine guns to fit on the handle bars - don't do 'em in Tesco! :wink:
Hugo

Talk to them?

Post by Hugo »

By contrast when a farm dog used to run down the road barking I would just stop dead and shout it down

Since rabies is endemic in parts on northern Spain and Eastern europe it is worth talking about. I have read that in Spain the only creatures to have the disease are the Red foxes and that dogs do not have it.

I always talk to dogs gently and firmly. They nearly always respond to that and cease the noise.

It is of course ODOUR that dogs understand, not noise or the sight of something, but the smell.

They can smell fear on a human, so if you are frightened by dogs, (the hair on the name of your neck stands on end too, at the same time as you emit that odour) they will chase you and bark at you.

What to do?

If you are concerned about dogs buy/suck aniseed balls/sweets and you will not have half the trouble.

The anti-hunt people use a spray to prevent the
hounds smelling their prey, and if you can buy a can of that, and possibly spray the bike before you set out, that should resolve the problem entirely.
Brian

Re: Talk to them?

Post by Brian »

Hugo wrote:

It is of course ODOUR that dogs understand, not noise or the sight of something, but the smell..

If I am confronted by a large snarling dog there will certainly be an odour :oops:
Hugo

Confronted?

Post by Hugo »

If I am confronted by a large snarling dog there will certainly be an odour

If you are upwind of the snarling dog, he will get wind of you, and then lose it
due to your anti odour devices! No snarl; no dog.

If you are downwind and are confronted by chance, he will snarl when he eventually sees you, but since he is unable to smell your odour due to musk/aniseed and so on, he will give up and back off. He will only be motivated by what he sees... which for a dog is not very much.

It is easy to forget that the dog's pirinciple organ for sensing is the NOSE.

In my young days I was a keen hunting man, but I have seen the error of my ways... but not my knowledge.

The best of my fun I freely admit has been thanks to........ my bike!
Baldric

Post by Baldric »

I reckon Deep Heat in an aerosol can would be enough to put off most things attacking you. I've not tried it on the local geese yet but have been tempted. They have nearly had me in the canal on more than one occasion!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Scent Dullers - Bob Martins 'Antimate' in aerosol cans from pet shops and chemists are ideal for immediate spraying after a hunted animal has passed or to destroy a scent in a small area. These can easily be concealed while you are at the hunt. Alternatives include garlic powder in a hot water solution, which can be made a few days before the meet, or crushed garlic cloves mixed during the summer and left to mature will provide a strong scent duller, other alternatives are Citronella or Eucalyptus oils, which you add to large amounts of water

'scuse me for quoting all of that but other things are useful too.

You are the hunted animal in the case of cycling and dogs chasing you!!!

I have never done bear country but would do both strong garlic and Bob Martin!