dog dazer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Guy

Re: Talk to them?

Postby Guy » 24 Jan 2007, 7:53am

Hugo wrote:If you are concerned about dogs buy/suck aniseed balls/sweets and you will not have half the trouble.

I wouldn't have thought aniseed would be much use. That's the stuff they use to lay the trail for drag hunting. Rather than driving dogs away you'd be up to your armpits in beagles! :shock: :lol:

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 24 Jan 2007, 9:20am

bear country but would do both strong garlic

There are things about bears' noses which are very different from dogs.
They are usually quite shy and retiring animals. It may be best if they do get wind of you. It is when they don't ,and you meet, that you have got to worry!

The point about aniseed is that it is not a human odour. Dogs that chase humans are adjusted to human scent. Dogs will chase anything they are trained to chase.

Aniseed very effectively disguises human scent, and unless you meet a pack of hounds trained to chase aniseed scents, you won't have a problem.

If you do, Guy's theory is right!

peevafred

Postby peevafred » 17 Apr 2007, 11:51am

Does any one know where to get the Dog Dazer?
regards
peevafred

ThomasDylan

Postby ThomasDylan » 17 Apr 2007, 12:15pm

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=SAFDAZER01&desc=DOG+DAZER

The CTC shop used to sell them, but they either don't any more or their search system is wanting...

40 Quid plus P&P.

KEELIEDW

Postby KEELIEDW » 17 Apr 2007, 2:23pm

A few years ago my favourite rural ride was blighted by a pair of farm dogs. As a half-way house between the soft approach ( a squirt of water in th face) and full-on Rambo ( a solution of chilli essence) I borrowed my children's waterpistol loaded with water & washing-up liquid. This really worked, no animals were harmed (well, not permanently) the dogs never chased me again. They just watched warily from a distance. Now, I wonder if this would work on those pesky motorists..............

dbrunner

Postby dbrunner » 17 Apr 2007, 2:33pm

Whilst biking in the early morning in Texas (there for 5 days), I was chased by two BIG bull terriers, they were on the porch about 100 yards away and made a curving run at me. Man, I found a good deal of extra pace that morning!!

Anyway, next day, same thing at the same place (yes I know I could have taken a different route) this time, not so much of a panic, and the two dogs kept up for a good 1/4 mile before growling and packing in...

Third day (I know.. I know...) same thing but I kept my pace so I was maybe 20 feet in front. They followed me for ages; then I happened to see an 18-wheeler coming down the road towards me. So I jinked to the middle of the road for a short while and the dogs continued to follow me. I then pulled off to a pull-in on the opposite side of the road.

Have you ever heard the sound an 18-wheeler makes as it locks its brakes? Still makes me smile even now. Never did ride that loop again....

As a last resort I also had two cans of pepper spray... anyone know if they are legal here or should I hand them in?

"Come on, make my day - Do you feel lucky pup?"
Rans LWB Recumbent
Burley SWB Recumbent
Raleigh Titanium MTB
Giant Road Bike

Glider pilot... There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 17 Apr 2007, 9:07pm

dbrunner wrote:As a last resort I also had two cans of pepper spray... anyone know if they are legal here or should I hand them in?

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, they are 'prohibited weapons' i.e. they are defined by the law here in the same way as machine guns.

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/f_prohb1.htm

See para b - the bit about discharging any noxious substance.

Unlicensed importation, possession, use etc., are all very serious matters in the UK.

On a lighter note, I seem to remember Cool Hand Luke did something similar by running along a railway line when the bloodhounds were on his trail. (Although the eventual punishment he received was probably heavier than anything dished out here)

dbrunner

Postby dbrunner » 17 Apr 2007, 10:02pm

Thanks for the info, these are two aerosols about the size of small deoderants that squirt a jet about 10 feet! (tested and they still work)

Never had to use them in anger, but with the prevelence of wild dogs in the States, they were reassuring. Just left them clipped to the bikes when I returned..... no problem with customs!

Halt Pepper Spray

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/ ... 1&nested=0

Oh well...
Rans LWB Recumbent

Burley SWB Recumbent

Raleigh Titanium MTB

Giant Road Bike

Glider pilot... There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud!

DavidT

Dog Dazer

Postby DavidT » 31 May 2007, 10:36pm

Hi
I've only just registered and this is my first posting. I realise I'm a bit late on the subject but comments may be of use?
I have carried a dazer on day rides and tours for the last 10 years or so, also when out walking (hiking). To be honest I've never had to use it in anger, however before purchasing I did a fair amount of investigation as to it's effectiveness. In summary, a Council Dog Warden confirmed that it did work, abeit dependant on the dog. OK - 50% will do for me! The Post Office/Royal Mail training department also confirmed that they work, but an individual dog can get used to it, therefore no use to Postal staff who always walk past the same problem dog. More recently I know that Defra (Farm) Inspectors are currently issued with them. I also know people who have used them with success. Including on a loose dog in France, encountered on a walk, that had a broken chain attached to it's collar!!
If dogs are a concern I think it's money well spent (Bike Plus seem to do a good price). It's clearly not a guarantee but it is definately some form of defence and gives me at least a bit of extra confidence.
All the best.

debbiep

Re: dog dazer

Postby debbiep » 12 May 2009, 1:36pm

Very old thread I know - I'm new to the forum so just having a look around!! I got a dog dazer last month to deal with a particularly nasty German Shepherd who likes to snap at my Golden Retriever - poor thing she just lies down looking scared! We've had a couple of confrontations, once I chose not to use the dazer because I didn't want to disturb my dog but the other time I spotted Fido in the distance quite a long time before Tilly did - shes getting old bless her! I turned it on as the German Shepherd came running over and you should have seen his face!! He stopped dead in his tracks, quite a sight. Providing you're not going too fast on your bike this would be a godsend - I've been chased before by dogs but always managed to outrun them!! This is the one I got, http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/advanced-portable-sonic-dog-repeller-p-1271.html although you could probably find them on Amazon or Ebay as well..!

byegad

Postby byegad » 12 May 2009, 3:47pm

I carry a Dazer and it works in the sense that most dogs don't like it and back off.

I had occasion to use my other weapon on a ride in Berwick when a black labrador came racing at a group of us, hackles up and looking like it meant it. My Air Zound, which was far off full pressure, worked a treat stopping the dog in its tracks. I did'nt have time to reach for the Dazer and remembered that the Air Zound makers recommend it against bears! Fully charged a long blast of the Zound makes your ears ring so a dog with more sensitive hearing must get a shock.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

MikewsMITH2

Postby MikewsMITH2 » 13 May 2009, 10:43am

My son and I were walking in the hills when we met a dog and its lady owner. The dog was going crazy barking and snarling the woman said predictably "he won't hurt you". My son isn't very comfortable around dogs as he was chased up a tree by one when he was younger! Anyway the dog wouldn't shut up so I shouted at it (and the owner) very loudly and it backed off and the owner ran away!. A couple of minutes later, it decided to have another go. I heard it coming down the path and this time, I stood my ground and let rip with the loudest fiercest animal roar I could manage. The hound ran whimpering and yelping in the opposite direction. My son and i collapsed with laughter. REspect! Now I am a hero in my son's eyes at least!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 May 2009, 11:24am

People who won't keep their mutts under control because 'they wouldn't hurt anybody' are a pain IMO

(I cannot remember if I've recounted the following trip down memory lane before.) Almost 30 years ago I made an application in court for an order to have a dog kept under control. Its 'townie' owner had let it run loose on farmland and it had bitten the hand of the farmworker who had caught it.

The owner objected to the making of the order on the grounds that his dog was not like that and it must have been reacting to aggression by its captor. He was all set to bring the dog into court to show everybody what a lovable creature it was. Although Wetherby is now in Leeds, it is a rural area with farming interests heavily represented on the bench (although because of Heff Goon's false economies when he was in the Lord Chancellor's Office, that court has now closed.) The order was duly made + compo for the bitten person, with some strong advice for the dog owner, and when the parties had left the courtroom, one of the magistrates raised his hands to mime the shooting of a rifle. And he was not joking.

debbiep

Postby debbiep » 13 May 2009, 11:47am

MikewsMITH2 wrote:I stood my ground and let rip with the loudest fiercest animal roar I could manage. The hound ran whimpering and yelping in the opposite direction.
Your own free dog repeller there!!!