dog dazer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rita

dog dazer

Post by rita »

Has anyone used such a device, and does it work? It is supposed to emit an ultrasound signal that scares dogs away.
joansmith

Re:dog dazer

Post by joansmith »

Mine has no effect on dogs whatsoever, but it does make cats jump. A good old fashioned referee's whistle has more effect.

My husband uses a squirt of water into the eyes, it works great but you have to let the dog get very close and time your aim.
dai

Post by dai »

I just shout sit - it makes them pause long enough to drop a few gears and accelerate.
el perro

Post by el perro »

The root cause of most problems with dogs is that they are misunderstood. Several years ago, as a post graduate student at Caltech, I was involved in some NASA funded research in linguistics. As a side line, and for some much needed light relief ( you wouldn't believe how serious those space nerds can get) a bunch of us decided to try and translate dog "speech" into English, - well American anyway, which is close enough for jazz. Anyway, using a subtle blend of a NASA super computer and some Syrian torture techniques modified by the C.I.A. for use in more - agh hum - ethical, settings, we had some remarkable success. A typical example, as I recall went something like this.
Dog: Woof! Woof! Woof woof woof!
Translation (American): Hay! Hay! Hay hay hay!
mel

Post by mel »

I've had a Dogdazer for awhile and it works, sometimes. I think a lot depends on the age of the dog, if it's getting deaf the Dazer won't work. I wouldn't like to rely on it in a head on confrontation with an enraged Pit Bull. I consider it to be an expensive toy, but it does seem to work better on the cats stalking our garden birds though.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I am sure these were tested in the CTC mag a while ago. The bits that stick in my mind were that you had to let the dog get into range and that once it had leapt the dog had no way of turning back in mid-air, even if it did not like the apparatus.

On the positive side, I think that urban dogs at least are much less likely to chase a cyclist than once was the case - I presume that the chasing urge has been bred out by natural selection.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I find a good fast dog hones the sprint technique wonderfully,when on the tandem Mrs R2's turbo boost is just great as she knows the dog's going to get her first,then when I see the dog give up the chase I like to say "and relax"in that annoying manner sometimes used by fitness instructers.
Which is strange because MrsR2 never seems to see the funny side.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

r2 get a 5' flag and sharpen the end of the pole........
EssexMan

Post by EssexMan »

When i was a student i used to do temp postie work (Paid to cycle!!). The dogs were a big pain and there was one yappy one that would chase me down the road.

One day as i was cycling along, with dog yapping at my heals i noticed that amongst the post on my front rack was a long poster tube like parcel............

20 years later the noise that dog made still makes me smile.
Car? never had a licence

Post by Car? never had a licence »

ROTFLMAO
mel

Post by mel »

I don't want to go wildly off thread but if you are persistantly being bothered by a dog(s) read on:

"The second part of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, Section 3, affects all dogs regardless of breed. It makes it a criminal offence to allow a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place. This includes any instance during which an injury of any sort occurs or there is a fear that an injury might occur".

a) "regardless of breed".- could be a Pekinese?

b)"or there is a fear that an injury might occur".- doesn't have to actually bite you?

Over to you.
Aido

Post by Aido »

Hi, I got one of those dreaded pture things the other week. When I stopped to change my wheels, I was bombarded with dogs, "don't worry she won't bite". What is it about bike oil and sweat, it seems to attract them?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mel - are you suggesting a citizen's arrest or merely a stern word of caution to the dog?
dai

Post by dai »

He's lovely with the children and he understands every word I say.

Tell him to f**k off then.

That's a rough transcript of a recent conversation I had in Builth Wells when a dog was biting my rear tyre whilst I sat on a bench and had a sandwich.
mel

Post by mel »

"mel - are you suggesting a citizen's arrest or merely a stern word of caution to the dog?"

I think identifying the owner of the dog, without beating it out of them, is a problem, if you know the house or car they came from at least you have something the police can go on; witnesses are useful too. I regularly cycle past a farm where a bunch of little terrier type dogs rush out and surround me on my bike, I get off the bike and fend off the dogs with it; I've never had my Dogdazer with me when they've appeared. A small, grinning, gnome like, person comes out of the farm and calls the dogs in. The dogs haven't bitten me (yet) but could cause a cyclist to have an accident. Next time it happens I'll try the Dazer and if that doesn't work I'm going to report it to the police. A cellphone with video could be useful, but I ain't got one.