Poyner's of Wolverhampton

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JakobW

Re: Poyner's of Wolverhampton

Post by JakobW »

Nice bike! Russell's is just down the road from me; sadly they don't sell their own frames any more. I will try and remember to ask who made them the next time I'm passing by.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I just popped in to Russell's, and apparently they built their own frames in the back of the shop; the framebuilders were the current owner's father and grandfather.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

JakobW wrote:I just popped in to Russell's, and apparently they built their own frames in the back of the shop; the framebuilders were the current owner's father and grandfather.

Thanks for that , i e mailed the grandaughter when i first got it and got that impression but sadly no records were kept re dates etc etc .

Its a great bike to ride and has done well for over winter use , just need to decide whether do get it refinshed or leave in original state and carry on enjoying it .

If i was nearer i would offer it to them for shop display purposes for a while
MattWales

Post by MattWales »

Hi all new to forum but hoping someone can help identify the bike in the images attached? Says Poyner but has Dawes on rear dropout with ref BJ278 under the bottom bracket. All help welcome thanks!
Attachments
2C4E2983-8434-436A-AF87-E0AECB59A30C.jpeg
BD07D9C0-5765-49BC-BC1F-B9419C12AA55.jpeg
600BB7B3-CA66-4D49-83CD-C3A067E78E3F.jpeg
8A3FE616-C125-4516-845C-FDDA34141FA8.jpeg
1C032926-8FD6-4BEC-87C9-8B3A3D416581.jpeg
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Russels bike shop not far from local Police Station. Don't know who built his frames.
I have seen a few, nicely done.
Known (fondly?) as 'Nutty Russel' . Don't know if shop is still there,haven't been for 25 years.
Have a look at 'Classic Rendezvous' website, might be some info there.
velotrev

Post by velotrev »

The F.R refers to Fred who as said was known as "nutty" Russell, but should have actually been "Gnutti" which was, I am led to believe, a particular brand of cycle component of which Fred was very fond, hence the nickname. We also had a "Campag" in the cycle club, (Walsall Roads CC) of which Fred was a long standing member. When I worked in the shop as Saturday boy in the late 1970s Fred was already getting on and his son Gordon mainly ran the shop, although Fred was often there and was still a very respected wheel builder. He built Hugh Porters wheels amongst others.

Gordon carried on running the shop for many years but sadly died last year and I believe his daughter Sue now runs the shop.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If Dawes is stamped into the rear dropouts, isn't it likely to be a dawes resprayed at Poyners??
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I didn't know the reason he was known as "Nutty",

I can confirm

Gnutti Splined Cotterless Chainsets (Same basic design as the Current Shimano etc Offerings!)
Gnutti Hubs And possibly more. :D

Have to say the "Poyner" (please don't be offended) doesn't look quite the Class of Frame Poyners used to turn out.
It does resemble a mid range Dawes however.
MattWales

Post by MattWales »

Not offended! Don’t know what I’d be looking for but was confused by the different branding. What would the BB stamp mean?
gusset

Post by gusset »

I bought a road bike from a guy from Southport around 15/16 years ago. He told me he used to be an accountant and did the accounts for Poyner cycles. As a thank you they built him a frame that he used for road racing around the area at that time.
I would like to restore the bike as it is now looking a bit worse for wear and decided to find out a bit more about Poyner and came across this forum.
I have taken some details off the bottom bracket which are BRIT 126298-11? I think the last 2 numbers are correct. Under that there is CINElli.
It has 653 Reynolds tubing stickers on, chrome front forks and the frame is a lovely shade of purple to yellow. When I bought it, it was originally kitted out with mostly campag gear although I have replaced bits with shimano over the years.
Can anyone give me any further info on the firm etc.
Thanks
Angus
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Angus

Poyners was an independent Cycle retailer in Wolverhampton , catering mostly to the Racing Fraternity. Mostly high end.
I was an impoverished schoolboy at the time so could only dream of owning a Poyner.
Most of the blokes in my club (Stourbridge CC) had Poyners.
Think the shop was on Dudley Road (in fact I have driven up there earlier today, somewhere I haven't been for a while)
Not sure of the exact set up or background, I knew their mechanic who used to build my wheels. Tommy Jennings, now sadly no longer with us.
I THINK (if memory serves) that frames were built by someone called Charlie Begley (but I may have mis remembered that !).
The number is probably the frame number, the Cinelli is the lug set .
gusset

Post by gusset »

Hi Arnold

Many thanks for your reply and the info, greatly appreciated. I have used it as my winter bike for the last few years, which is a bit of a shame really as it now looks a bit sad. I have never come across another Poyner frame up here in the north of England, the power of the internet eh!!
Now that I know a bit more of the history of the frame, makers etc and have a bit more time on my hands I would like to try and bring bit back to its former glory.
Thanks again.
Angus
Davidkirk

Post by Davidkirk »

Hello

A friend of mine gave me a Poyner frame recently and I am in the process of building a hopefully fast tourer. It’s a Reynolds 531c with campagnolo drop outs. The frame number is L238. I’m really glad I found this as I have been trying to find out some history. I remember. Poyners as a kid but it was in Wolverhampton and a jaunt for me at the time
Davidkirk

Post by Davidkirk »

BF88300F-9638-45B1-A324-9A97899C4F0C.jpeg
D9AA809B-79E9-42AD-AC2E-EE432CAC39CE.jpeg
6B3CAC30-F6DB-44DB-9E5E-3EB95A08D208.jpeg
C4D510F5-A58F-4FCC-8B09-28486BE494C9.jpeg
06AC5CAA-580E-4123-B7E3-4D7F1C1FA6DE.jpeg
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Fred Poyner is mentioned on this Wolverhampton history webpage.