Poyner's of Wolverhampton

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TheLomax

Poyner's of Wolverhampton

Post by TheLomax »

Recently bought a Poyner of Wolverhampton track bike and am trying to find any info about them as my research hasn't yielded much. The frame number is L200 and it's nicely finished with chromed forks and Campagnolo ends. Tubing is 531c throughout. I heard a rumour that Bob Jackson made some frames for them but I've been in contact with them and they can't help me. Any information would be very much appreciated! I can post a picture if that would help too. Many thanks!
MikewsMITH2

Re: Poyner's of Wolverhampton

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Poyners was a long established bike shop in Wolverhampton, but Joe Poyner (son of the founder Fred?) was already an elderly chap in the mid to late sixties when I lived in Wolverhampton. He was on the same road (Dudley Road)as Fred Williams just a bit further out of town. It was a lightweight shop, but Fred Williams had a stronger following with the club cyclists. I believe the shop was demolished in the 70's when they built the ring road. People do seem to attribute his own brand frames to Bob jackson. Would be nice to see the pictures though. There's one on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/36890951@N07/3476648158/
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
TheLomax

Post by TheLomax »

Thanks for the info Mike, that's similar to what I found out! Here is some pictures...
Attachments
PoynerAltSide.jpg
Poyner531Fork.jpg
PoynerFront.jpg
Poyner.jpg
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Can only confirm what you have already learnt I am afraid. I used to go into Poyners when I was younger (and Fred Williams) and Poyner's Mechanic was a friend but he has sadly since passed away.Not sure wo used to build the frames, I know that some frame repairs used to be done at someone's house (a semi retired framebulder) but I am afraid the name escapes me. There used to be a Paris Galibier and a Thanet Silverlight hanging up in the shop must have had an effect because I now own one of each (but not the ones from Poyners!)
(I was time trialling a Condor at the time, I was a Stourbridge CC Member and one or two of the "fast men" had Poyners' frames )

PA
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

That's a very nice bike. You're lucky to find it!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

HI I HAVE A POYNERS TRACK FRAME CHROME CAMPAG ENDS IN PEARLESCENT WHITE/CREAM..Frame number L181 The particular workman who built it was Charlie Betterley from Stafford..THE BIKE WAS BUILT FOR A CHAP TO RACE ON IN THE 80'S COMPLETE WITH CAMPAGNOLO RUNNING GEAR..THE FRAME BUILDERS NAME WAS SUPPLIED BY HIM ..HOPE THIS HELPS
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Might be worth contacting these people http://www.btownbikes.com// it is run by the taylo family of Lynne Taylor Walsall Road Club, her father would be a contemporary of Poyners and was a prolific cyclist in his day with end to end records, they might have some info.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark James UK

Post by Mark James UK »

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum having recently acquired a Poyner Road bike frame. It is numbered L61 on the underside of the bottom bracket. I was a keen cyclist as a teenager in the 1980's but never had anything really special - only my own hand built bike for which I made the frame in my Fathers model engineering workshop - Happy Days ! :)
I'm trying to date this Poyner. I guess its from the mid 1970's but really not sure what to look for. Any info would be appreciated. I've seen a little here posted about Poyner, but surely there is someone out there that knows more ? Fingers crossed - because Im planning on fully restoring it to period and original spec. as far as is possible.

I will take some photos tonight and post them here (if I can work out how to do it :) and look forward to any comments !
Mark James UK

Post by Mark James UK »

OK - here are the pics of my new found projects.....

multi-poyner-1.jpg

multi-poyner-2.jpg
Tim Davis

Post by Tim Davis »

Charlie Betterley was the frame builder for Poyner for a long time. I still have Poyner frames from the early 80s which I still use for training and racing. My most recent frame was built in 1991 and then I lost touch with the shop as I moved to London. The "L" prefix to the frame number was Charlie's and I believe it was originally for another make of frame to the Poyner frames. My earliest frame number is about L109 (if I remember right!). I have recently started renovating my old road race bike to original condition and my time trial bike is going back to its 1982 state including stopwatch in a clip on the bars.
Last year I was on the start line of a time trial with just under a minute to go when the starting timekeeper said "You're going to have to do a good ride today, Tim", "Why is that? " I asked... "Because you'll have to be back in time to get that bike back into the museum before it closes!"
jazzclubber

Post by jazzclubber »

I have a little Poyner Lo-Pro. Has been the favourite of all my rides and magically never came off it once during my whole time in London. Very agile!

<Agent Orange>

Thanks Poyner for all the good times, you can really dance on this bike!!!!!!

G.

P.S. The orange colour never comes out on camera properly, it is as bright as the Sun
maxdurkin

Post by maxdurkin »

Morning

I worked at Poyners in the mid 80's and yes Charlie was our frame builder, The L stood for Lynx cycles which was Charlie's own frames but he mainly built Poyner's

I still have mine in the garage and is on my projects list to do one day.

I worked there for 3 years straight from school and it was a great job, Joe was a great guy who loved his shop and having a chat with the lads and reps etc

Please drop me a line if I can help in anyway

Cheers

Max
philbennett

Post by philbennett »

Hello - I have two old race bikes that I used as a junior that I'd like resorting.

Actually stuff just needs a clean up from light corrosion and the paint work has faded as they have been in a garage since the end of the 1980's. Does anyone know of anyone with an interest/business in this type of work??

Poyners looked after me (well my Dad really as he paid the bills!) quite well at the end of the 80's and as a 15 year old the equipment made you feel you were on a space shuttle compared to off the peg stuff. They were happy days.

Please mail. Thanks phil.
Ged Dennis 5

Post by Ged Dennis 5 »

hI my name is Ged DENNIS, I was a pro cyclists for Poyners cycles,70's and 80's,had many frames built,all of them by Charlie Bettley of Stafford,ive still got my Poyners track bike,was a big happy family
Attachments
857387_394239464005546_1791495687_o.jpg
15073324_1168187679944050_6573983918156577981_n.jpg
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Some great tales on this thread , and some nice looking bikes .

I have an F R Russell of Walsall bike and i trying to find who built there frames and seeing as Poyners were not a million miles away from Russells

IMG_20180224_072814619 (1).jpg
Last edited by martin biggs on 14 Mar 2018, 4:32pm, edited 1 time in total.